Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 09:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times

Advertisements

Is it "really" a Husky? I've had them and this is extremely abnormal behavior. Destructive when they don't get enough exercise....absolutely. Aggressive towards people....not normal! A Husky is typically not a large dog....40-60 pounds.
Could it be a wolf hybrid? (I've also had these). High percentage Hybrids are generally not aggressive towards people, in fact they tend to be very shy but I did have one 25% Wolf/Malamute that was extremely aggressive.

Contrary to the "there are no bad dogs only bad owners" crowd, there are indeed dogs that are not right in the mind. I would probably have a serious talk with the neighbor to find out what is being done to control/train the dog (a chain is not the answer). If not satisfied...call the authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 09:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
You may have possibly lost (given away) some of you rights to your neighbor.

Now that you know this is a dangerous dog and did not do the proper thing about it you have just owned/purchased partial liability to any problems that this dog could bring to you.
That’s right.
The fact that you knew that this was a dangerous dog and did nothing (he has it in print via the text messages) makes you at least morally and possibly civilly colpable.
Meaning you can no longer hold him totally at fault when that dog attacks you or your family.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:59 AM

46 posts, read 26,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's more likely due to their popularity (you'll notice most or all of the "top biters" are also on "most popular" lists), plus they do tend to be mouthy. But it's usually not in an aggressive manner, in my experience. My husky will get over-excited sometimes, and try gnawing on me while we're playing - but he stops immediately with a verbal correction, and has never bitten me for real. Not trying to defend them or say they can't be aggressive, but in general they are a very friendly breed.
I believe you - you also sound like a responsible owner but we know what an irresponsible owner can do that is ill prepared to accommodate a breed given its characteristics. Many fall into the trap of wanting a dog because they are cool and fall in love with the breed 'online' but really do not think deep enough about what it really takes to raise and keep it properly. High energy for example means exactly that in most cases and something as simple as keeping a high energy dog inside all day with nothing to occupy them can drive them crazy. The issue is compounded with working breeds because they have the power to do some damage should they be so inclined. Chihuahuas are probably pound for pound the most aggressive dogs I have encountered but I simply stay a couple feet away and usually get by unscathed.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:42 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What’s good about having such a dog that can’t even be controlled?

This!. Dogs are supposed to compliment your life, not complicate it.

They are doing the dog a disservice by not getting it training and enough exercise.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:25 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's more likely due to their popularity (you'll notice most or all of the "top biters" are also on "most popular" lists), plus they do tend to be mouthy. But it's usually not in an aggressive manner, in my experience. My husky will get over-excited sometimes, and try gnawing on me while we're playing - but he stops immediately with a verbal correction, and has never bitten me for real. Not trying to defend them or say they can't be aggressive, but in general they are a very friendly breed.
I'm going to disagree with what you've said about "top biters" and "most popular". I'm not going to disagree with you on all the positive things you've said about huskies. I AM going to agree that they are generally friendly, social, and they generally like people. That's why they are dogs, and not wolves. But they do have genetics that contains more wolf DNA than most dogs, and many of their inherited breed traits are closer to "primitive" than most breeds. So, yeah, in general, they are a very friendly breed, but . . .

Anyway, we are bordering on "Hot Topics and Zero Tolerance" here, so I'll close with this note:

In this case, the breed doesn't matter. The dog has proven to be violent and aggressive. The reasons for that don't matter, either. The right person and situation to rehabilitate THIS dog might exist - or might not - but the CURRENT human is NOT that person - and that should be glaringly obvious. Don't discount this situation out of some desire to defend huskies.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:26 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm going to disagree with what you've said about "top biters" and "most popular". I'm not going to disagree with you on all the positive things you've said about huskies. I AM going to agree that they are generally friendly, social, and they generally like people. That's why they are dogs, and not wolves. But they do have genetics that contains more wolf DNA than most dogs, and many of their inherited breed traits are closer to "primitive" than most breeds. So, yeah, in general, they are a very friendly breed, but . . .

Anyway, we are bordering on "Hot Topics and Zero Tolerance" here, so I'll close with this note:

In this case, the breed doesn't matter. The dog has proven to be violent and aggressive. The reasons for that don't matter, either. The right person and situation to rehabilitate THIS dog might exist - or might not - but the CURRENT human is NOT that person - and that should be glaringly obvious. Don't discount this situation out of some desire to defend huskies.
Well said. The current owner is only compounding this dog's behavioral issues and is setting the stage for someone to get badly hurt.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:19 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Another drive-by post. Hope the dog didn’t get her.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,048,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Another drive-by post. Hope the dog didn’t get her.
Some forums require people to make a certain number of posts before initiating a thread. Not a bad idea when I think of the "drive-bys" who start a thread leading to pages and pages of responses and never show up again.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:09 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Some forums require people to make a certain number of posts before initiating a thread. Not a bad idea when I think of the "drive-bys" who start a thread leading to pages and pages of responses and never show up again.
Yeah, no kidding. This place is full of "1-post" wonders that never return. They likely don't even see the responses to their threads.

My patented response is "Great first/and only post!"

Old 11-01-2022, 04:40 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
With a dog that vicious I would call the authorities. Sorry if this will be an unpopular post here, but this person clearly has no business having this dog if their means of dealing with it is to warn the neighbors "oh, my killer dog is out looking for someone to maul... just stay in your houses for awhile..."

How is that supposed to work if the dog gets out and kills a toddler before the owner can stop it like in that terrible pit bull attack last week? The owner knows this is a problem dog. You know this is a problem dog. Sadly, this is probably not a dog that can be turned into Lassie.

I would call the authorities and report what's going on because if a young child or anyone in the neighborhood were to be killed and I hadn't done anything, I would always feel responsible for having not acted.
Maybe the police and animal authorities need to be contacted to see about the owers ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs