Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 04:50 PM

30,443 posts, read 52,122,397 times

Advertisements

I took my old boy Rudy to the vet yesterday, and... he's so old now that he's past senior, and well into the geriatric range! In fact, he is literally off their "dog-to-human age" chart. The chart tells you how old they are in human vs dog years, based on their weight. The weight range he's in (at 42lbs) ends at 15, and he is almost 17.

Anyway, the visit cost me a whopping $1060 - and that was for "conservative" treatment, according to the vet. Walked away with a whole bag full of medications for an eye abrasion, dental disease, advanced arthritis, elevated liver enzymes, toenail bed/pad infection, and heartworm prevention. Oy! They also did a full blood panel, so we'll see if that tells us anything else.

I did ask the important question: Is his quality of life enough to justify all this, or really anything at this point? Or is it almost time to make that difficult call? She seemed to think he is still, surprisingly, in fairly good spirits. He is eating and drinking normally, sleeps most of the time, but doesn't appear to be in constant pain or anything. Maybe a little from the arthritis, but not enough to start talking about EOL decisions.

Just wanted to share the update, since he was still a PUPPY when I joined this forum in 2006. Wow, hard to believe. And for those who've gone through these stages, I'd appreciate any advice or words of encouragement. As I told the vet, money isn't an issue for me at this time - I can comfortably afford anything he needs, and will gladly provide that as long as he's relatively happy. It's more about HIM, and I won't be "that owner" who keeps their pet alive too long for their own selfish reasons. It's going to be difficult when the time comes, but at least I know he's had a great run.

Here's Rudy at the vet's office + the meds I have to give him over the next 2 weeks (and cream cheese to get the pills down easy).

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-17-2022 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 04:55 PM

Note: I did wince a little when they gave me a 6-month supply of the Simparica. Do y'all think he can make it that long? Guess we'll see!

Old 07-17-2022, 04:58 PM

957 posts, read 1,111,949 times
May all the GODS keep and watch over RUDY. You do what you can do. He knows you love him , he trusts you to do the right thing . Even if that is to end his Pain. He will still love you and be at your HEARTS side.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:05 PM

384 posts, read 668,570 times
The decision is always hard and I have had to make it with every dog I have had. I have never had them just lay down and not wake up again. It comes down to quality of life for them and from what you describe at this moment I don't think it is time. Prayers that your pup will go on his own.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:20 PM

Thank you both... I'm sure I will know when it's time, as I have with other pets over the years. He is/was my first dog, though. So it's a little different!

Old 07-17-2022, 05:29 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,387,655 times
This is a great post. I think Rudy's in wonderful hands, and it sounds like he's not ready to go yet (and that you are keeping an open mind and heart to that possibility, when it comes). What a lucky dog! Give him lots of love and as many treats as you can (healthily) get away with!

Old 07-17-2022, 06:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,156,661 times
Sounds like Rudy got the perfect home. I have a ten year old bouvier, he's just had a second cancer surgery, it keeps popping out on his leg, but other that he's doing great. He eats well and plays with my year old pup, they are good for each other

It's like this, as long as the dog is doing well and you can comfortably afford the meds, let them go on as long as they can live a quality life. Rudy seems happy and he's not ready to go yet.

Sometimes older dogs don't get to live as long as they might. My groomer said that she's glad to see us taking care of Aubrey, even though he got old. Apparently some of her clients rush to get rid of their old dog when they get health problems, they don't want to spend the money. Dogs are part of the family, and spending money on them is the right thing to do.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
This is a great post. I think Rudy's in wonderful hands, and it sounds like he's not ready to go yet (and that you are keeping an open mind and heart to that possibility, when it comes). What a lucky dog! Give him lots of love and as many treats as you can (healthily) get away with!
Thank you! Of course it's never easy to face the end with our beloved pets, but I'm also a realist... I've never understood people who act shocked when they realize their 15+ year-old dog is going to pass. Guess the denial helps them to cope, but for me it's easier to face the facts and prepare myself. I even adopted another dog earlier this year, to help with the transition when that happens. He's been a wonderful addition, so I feel that was the right decision for us.

And I strongly believe the final act of love is to let them go when it's time. Wish we could do the same for our human loved ones, ya know?

Old 07-17-2022, 06:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,116,488 times
My 18 year old Bichon/poo is rapidly declining and I have decided to do nothing because a visit to the vet would only stress him more. He seems to be suffering from dementia; he keeps looking left and right for something. It's as if he sees something that I do not. He has started hiding in the closet or under the bed. He is peeing and eating much less and only wants hamburger, if he eats anything. These are all very different behaviors and I think the end is coming. I have had him since he was 4, from the shelter. Thankfully, he still brightens up when we go for a walk.

Tucker is my love and I will be very very sad when he goes, but until that happens, he gets anything he wants now.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Sounds like Rudy got the perfect home. I have a ten year old bouvier, he's just had a second cancer surgery, it keeps popping out on his leg, but other that he's doing great. He eats well and plays with my year old pup, they are good for each other

It's like this, as long as the dog is doing well and you can comfortably afford the meds, let them go on as long as they can live a quality life. Rudy seems happy and he's not ready to go yet.

Sometimes older dogs don't get to live as long as they might. My groomer said that she's glad to see us taking care of Aubrey, even though he got old. Apparently some of her clients rush to get rid of their old dog when they get health problems, they don't want to spend the money. Dogs are part of the family, and spending money on them is the right thing to do.
Aw, best wishes for your Aubrey too.

I can't fathom dumping or euthanizing him after 16+ years, just over the cost of treatments - IF it's something recommended, and not excessive or invasive (for their sake). But just over paying for a vet visit and some pills? Naw. Of course I understand not everyone has $1000+ to drop on a single appointment, as I would have struggled to swing that at one point. But every pet owner should be prepared for that, even if it's just to keep an emergency credit card on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs