Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 06:47 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,016,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My 18 year old Bichon/poo is rapidly declining and I have decided to do nothing because a visit to the vet would only stress him more. He seems to be suffering from dementia; he keeps looking left and right for something. It's as if he sees something that I do not. He has started hiding in the closet or under the bed. He is peeing and eating much less and only wants hamburger, if he eats anything. These are all very different behaviors and I think the end is coming. I have had him since he was 4, from the shelter. Thankfully, he still brightens up when we go for a walk.

Tucker is my love and I will be very very sad when he goes, but until that happens, he gets anything he wants now.
Of course; and I fully understand that too, as I've made similar decisions with other pets (e.g. cats) in the past. Only you know what is best for him, and I'm sure you will also know if/when the time comes to intervene. Virtual hugs to you and Tucker. Spoil him while you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 02:49 AM

42 posts, read 19,596 times
He looks great in that photo; happy and healthy. And adorable.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:18 AM

384 posts, read 666,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thank you! Of course it's never easy to face the end with our beloved pets, but I'm also a realist... I've never understood people who act shocked when they realize their 15+ year-old dog is going to pass. Guess the denial helps them to cope, but for me it's easier to face the facts and prepare myself. I even adopted another dog earlier this year, to help with the transition when that happens. He's been a wonderful addition, so I feel that was the right decision for us.

And I strongly believe the final act of love is to let them go when it's time. Wish we could do the same for our human loved ones, ya know?
I always say we are kinder to our animals at the end then we are to our humans.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,147,271 times
Oh I remember Rudy! I used to look at his pics when your profile was public. I'm pleased he is still alive (at 17). I had to put my boy down at 14 last Fall. But that decision wasn't too difficult because he had 3 afflictions included a growing mouth cancer tumor.

Apparently they are calling a 22 year old dog in South Carolina the world's oldest dog. That's a reminder to me that dogs don't live very long. I used to target age 20 with my boy and we didn't even get close. I think people overestimate how long dogs will live.

Back to Rudy, when he is awake, does his brain seem OK? It's easy to forget to factor in dementia in dogs. But if his awareness is still there along with his appetite and ability to feel comfortable, keep him around indefinitely. But if his life has too many hard moments and it's a struggle for you both, then it's probably time. I hate the way we think of the hard last months or years after a dog, cat or person dies, more than the joyous years when they were in their primes.

Thanks for the pic and update on Rudy! I think pics of elderly dogs are precious because they document a stage of life many won't reach. Plus I love the grayed faces, the stiff legs and the buckets of character. Rudy can't fail!

Old 07-19-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
I always say we are kinder to our animals at the end then we are to our humans.
I know, right? Watched my father decline from Alzheimer's for almost a decade, and there was a point when we "joked" about taking him to Oregon... and if he'd signed the waiver for that before getting sick, we would have. He finally had a massive heart attack, and we (his wife + us 3 kids) all 100% agreed to let him go peacefully as per his directive. It's sad we can't do for them what we do for our pets in those situations.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Oh I remember Rudy! I used to look at his pics when your profile was public. I'm pleased he is still alive (at 17). I had to put my boy down at 14 last Fall. But that decision wasn't too difficult because he had 3 afflictions included a growing mouth cancer tumor.
Aw, sorry to hear that.

And also sorry I had to put my profile on private, lol. I had someone use previous posts against me in an argument, and decided it was probably best to keep that all locked down.

Quote:
Apparently they are calling a 22 year old dog in South Carolina the world's oldest dog. That's a reminder to me that dogs don't live very long. I used to target age 20 with my boy and we didn't even get close. I think people overestimate how long dogs will live.
Yeah, I guess it's mostly wishful thinking... but I know that's a rarity (to reach 20), so I've been preparing myself for a while already. Honestly didn't think he'd make it this long! Every day is a gift now.

Quote:
Back to Rudy, when he is awake, does his brain seem OK? It's easy to forget to factor in dementia in dogs. But if his awareness is still there along with his appetite and ability to feel comfortable, keep him around indefinitely. But if his life has too many hard moments and it's a struggle for you both, then it's probably time. I hate the way we think of the hard last months or years after a dog, cat or person dies, more than the joyous years when they were in their primes.
He's okay mentally, I think. Sometimes he looks a little confused, like he'll walk into the room and stand there like "Why did I come into this room again?" then walk back out. But hey, we all have those moments sometimes. Right? Otherwise fairly "with it," and still greets me with tail wags when I get home.

Quote:
Thanks for the pic and update on Rudy! I think pics of elderly dogs are precious because they document a stage of life many won't reach. Plus I love the grayed faces, the stiff legs and the buckets of character. Rudy can't fail!
Woohoo! He is my strong old boy... love him more every day.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:58 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,603,993 times
I have to start off by saying Rudy is an adorable old guy. There is something about an old dog's face that just touches my heart so deeply.

Dogs have a way of letting you know when they are done. I am glad you added a new dog as I usually do that when I think a dog is old or sick and will not be with me much longer. It not only helps me and my other dog being I always have 2 so have 3 during these periods through the grief, but I like knowing the dogs knew each other. I get this sense that the old or sick dog reaches a point where he/she knows the new one is ready and will be there for me and their buddy so lets me know it is time to say Good bye. Just enjoy Rudy,spoil him when you can and take it a day at a time.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:53 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,147,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Woohoo! He is my strong old boy... love him more every day.
Awesome, I bet others near you love seeing him each time they can.

I bet Rudy would enjoy some ways to be cool in this heat. Cooling baths, ice on his head, whatever. My old boy felt his worst when he was too hot.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:23 AM

637 posts, read 402,867 times
I love that pic of Rudy. He's such a handsome boy and hopefully all those meds will give him relief from his aches and pains.

I have a 16 year old min. poodle and it's so sad to see old age taking over. She's almost blind, deaf as a post, has warts all over her body and probably has arthritis as she has difficulty getting up on her feet. BUT if you saw her hopping like a bunny around the backyard, you'd think she was a puppy! She still has a great appetite, sleeps a lot and sticks to me like glue. I think I'm her seeing eye human .

Even though she's cost me a small fortune in vet bills, she has given me so much love over the years - priceless!

Good luck with Rudy and do keep us posted on his progress.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Awesome, I bet others near you love seeing him each time they can.
He doesn't go out much these days (one of the reasons I adopted another dog already), but when he does people do smile seeing him. Everyone loves an old dog.

Quote:
I bet Rudy would enjoy some ways to be cool in this heat. Cooling baths, ice on his head, whatever. My old boy felt his worst when he was too hot.
Thankfully it doesn't get too hot where I live, but I leave the A/C in my bedroom (there's no other A/C in the house) running in case he needs it. He mostly sleeps on the deck, which is covered and cool-ish most of the day. I actually worry more about my husky! But so far so good.

Btw, I got a voicemail from the vet today saying "You'll be pleasantly surprised by his blood test results." I tried calling back for details, but the vet was in surgery and will have to call me later. Sounds promising, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs