Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 02:19 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,742,885 times

Advertisements

My Sassy passed away yesterday unexpectedly. She was around 11 yrs old Yorkie. I was almost never away from her she was with me all the time except when I went to work. Even on trips she was always with me. She would sleep under the bed at night. I walked her at least 3 times a day. She was a part of me the love of my life. She saved us when she came into our lives when were were going through such a hard time with our boys.

Yesterday she was having a hard time breathing so I took her to the vet I just thought they would take care of her and then I bring her home. Next thing I know they tell me she is passing.

I am so broken hearted and I feel so lost. I don't know what to do and really don't want to be here anymore without her. The hardest was waking up this morning and she is not here. I would always walk her first thing.

I can't stop crying. I really don't know how to get through this.

I just had to write this to vent. I know it won't help.

I was looking at other rescue dogs cut it just makes me sad because I don't think I can replace Sassy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 02:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Getting another dog Will NOT replace Sassy! Just like having another child would replace the one you lost. But nothing wrong with helping a dog that Needs Love.

Sorry for your loss

Old 07-03-2022, 03:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,135,729 times
Sorry for your loss, my little boy yorkie passed a few months ago from unexpected kidney failure. I miss him every day and another yorkie wouldn’t replace him. I still have a thirteen year old yorkie, she’s a spunky little thing but won’t get another yorkie after she passes. As you know, they’re irreplaceable.

After a few months, it gets easier and adopting a rescue might be the way to go eventually. I have other animals, so that helps. Just give it time.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-03-2022 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 04:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,339,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
My Sassy passed away yesterday unexpectedly. She was around 11 yrs old Yorkie. I was almost never away from her she was with me all the time except when I went to work. Even on trips she was always with me. She would sleep under the bed at night. I walked her at least 3 times a day. She was a part of me the love of my life. She saved us when she came into our lives when were were going through such a hard time with our boys.

Yesterday she was having a hard time breathing so I took her to the vet I just thought they would take care of her and then I bring her home. Next thing I know they tell me she is passing.

I am so broken hearted and I feel so lost. I don't know what to do and really don't want to be here anymore without her. The hardest was waking up this morning and she is not here. I would always walk her first thing.

I was looking at other rescue dogs cut it just makes me sad because I don't think I can replace Sassy.

I am so sorry for this incredible loss. If it helps at all, I know exactly what you are going through. Please believe me that Sassy has not left you completely. She would not leave you in this state. She is still there in spirit in the house. She is going to stay there for at least a couple of weeks whilst you grieve and start to adjust. I am as sure of that as I am that the sun will rise in the eastern sky in the morning.

The pain and suffering you are going through right now is the price we all pay for love. Death is the natural end result of life. It is built into all of our trajectories from the time we are conceived. Each life is a story. Your life is a story, and Sassy's life is a story, a beautiful story. I know it feels impossible at this moment, but please try to celebrate the story of her life, the wonderful life you shared together. I know you wish it could have been much, much longer, but dogs's lives are relatively short. We are so blessed that they share their lives with us. I believe they come here to teach us about love, and they depart to teach us about loss. You have leant the love, and now it is time to learn the loss and how to accept it as part of the natural rhythms of life, the natural end to Sassy's fantastic, funny, sweet, joyful, happy, and loving life.

I do not know if there is anything after this life, but if there is, I firmly believe our dogs and other animals are waiting for us on the other side. Death may take you away from one another physically, but it cannot take you away from one another spiritually. She is always there with you, and as time passes, on days and at times as you least expect it, you will see/feel/hear a sign, and you will know she is there. I promise.

After my girl passed some years ago, I joined a grief support group. I think it helped me in that it got me out of the house one evening a week to share my experience with others and their experiences with me. This is a time where the world in general does not understand the depth of your pain and suffering, but other people who have lost someone do understand, and it is good to be somewhere where you can support one another. I was certainly the odd one out in my group. Everyone else was mourning the loss of a spouse, son, daughter, brother, sister, or dear friend. I was the only one deeply mourning the loss of the love of my life who happened to be a dog. Nevertheless, I was accepted, and you will be, too. Please seek out a grief support group at a church or some other venue in your area. Some large cities actually have grief support groups for those who have lost an animal. My city did not, so I joined a grief support group at a church near my home. Many churches have grief support groups. Call around and ask. I am sure you will find at least a few within a relatively close distance.

Embracing the support group as well as every part of the days and nights that followed her passing was not easy at all. Some times it was so hard to just get ready and go for the meeting each week, and oftentimes I left the meeting feeling the same overwhelming sense of grief and pain with which I entered, but ultimately, doing this helped me to get back "to life" as t'were. Things that should not take too much effort, in theory, take an enormous amount of courage and effort in this situation, e.g. bathing, brushing your teeth, preparing food and eating, going through the post and sending out the bills, keeping business appointments, etc., etc. At first, it all goes out the window, but each day FORCE yourself to do at least one important thing that has to be done, and it will help you, I promise. Each day, try to do a little more. Eventually, you will be doing all the things that need to be done, but it still will feel as though you are just going through the motions, and you are. Over the coming months, though, you will start to function more and more. You will still grieve for Sassy. You will always love her, but getting through the days and nights will become easier with time. You never "get over" this sort of loss. You just learn to live with it better as time passes.

As much as we would like to say stop the world I want to get off, we cannot do that. We must go on. I promise you, although you may not feel it right now, Sassy is right there with you. She knows you are suffering, and she is not going to leave until you begin to make progress. I know she loved life. All dogs do. If you passed first, she would adjust and continue to love life without you. She wants you to do the same thing, and at some point in future, your heart will be open to giving another deserving dog a loving home, and Sassy will be so happy once you do. She loves you and does not want all that she helped you to accomplish to be for naught. Do not let her work be for naught. Keep pushing ahead. Work through the grief and the pain and the ocean of tears because you must. It is tempting to try to escape it in one way or another, but the best thing you can do is to face it today and tomorrow and every day after until some semblance of "normalcy" returns. There really is no alternative. Grief, loss, mourning, and recovering is HARD WORK. You can do it, though, and everyone here wants to help. Please keep in touch. We care.

Remember to take good care of yourself because Sassy loved you and that is what she expects you to do now that she is not there to look after you like she used to do. If you do not take good care of yourself, it will make her grieve even more, so do i for her as well as for Sassy. I hesitate to say this, but time really does heal all wounds, at least to the extent that they can be healed. Embrace the days ahead and take good care of yourself.

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 07-03-2022 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 04:23 PM

10,108 posts, read 6,452,713 times
I am so sorry for your losing Sassy. I hope your pain will ease in time. Hugs to you. ((( )))

Old 07-03-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I am so sorry for this incredible loss. If it helps at all, I know exactly what you are going through. Please believe me that Sassy has not left you completely. She would not leave you in this state. She is still there in spirit in the house. She is going to stay there for at least a couple of weeks whilst you grieve and start to adjust. I am as sure of that as I am that the sun will rise in the eastern sky in the morning.

The pain and suffering you are going through right now is the price we all pay for love. Death is the natural end result of life. It is built into all of our trajectories from the time we are conceived. Each life is a story. Your life is a story, and Sassy's life is a story, a beautiful story. I know it feels impossible at this moment, but please try to celebrate the story of her life, the wonderful life you shared together. I know you wish it could have been much, much longer, but dogs's lives are relatively short. We are so blessed that they share their lives with us. I believe they come here to teach us about love, and they depart to teach us about loss. You have leant the love, and now it is time to learn the loss and how to accept it as part of the natural rhythms of life, the natural end to Sassy's fantastic, funny, sweet, joyful, happy, and loving life.

I do not know if there is anything after this life, but if there is, I firmly believe our dogs and other animals are waiting for us on the other side. Death may take you away from one another physically, but it cannot take you away from one another spiritually. She is always there with you, and as time passes, on days and at times as you least expect it, you will see/feel/hear a sign, and you will know she is there. I promise.

After my girl passed some years ago, I joined a grief support group. I think it helped me in that it got me out of the house one evening a week to share my experience with others and their experiences with me. This is a time where the world in general does not understand the depth of your pain and suffering, but other people who have lost someone do understand, and it is good to be somewhere where you can support one another. I was certainly the odd one out in my group. Everyone else was mourning the loss of a spouse, son, daughter, brother, sister, or dear friend. I was the only one deeply mourning the loss of the love of my life who happened to be a dog. Nevertheless, I was accepted, and you will be, too. Please seek out a grief support group at a church or some other venue in your area. Some large cities actually have grief support groups for those who have lost an animal. My city did not, so I joined a grief support group at a church near my home. Many churches have grief support groups. Call around and ask. I am sure you will find at least a few within a relatively close distance.

Embracing the support group as well as every part of the days and nights that followed her passing was not easy at all. Some times it was so hard to just get ready and go for the meeting each week, and oftentimes I left the meeting feeling the same overwhelming sense of grief and pain with which I entered, but ultimately, doing this helped me to get back "to life" as t'were. Things that should not take too much effort, in theory, take an enormous amount of courage and effort in this situation, e.g. bathing, brushing your teeth, preparing food and eating, going through the post and sending out the bills, keeping business appointments, etc., etc. At first, it all goes out the window, but each day FORCE yourself to do at least one important thing that has to be done, and it will help you, I promise. Each day, try to do a little more. Eventually, you will be doing all the things that need to be done, but it still will feel as though you are just going through the motions, and you are. Over the coming months, though, you will start to function more and more. You will still grieve for Sassy. You will always love her, but getting through the days and nights will become easier with time. You never "get over" this sort of loss. You just learn to live with it better as time passes.

As much as we would like to say stop the world I want to get off, we cannot do that. We must go on. I promise you, although you may not feel it right now, Sassy is right there with you. She knows you are suffering, and she is not going to leave until you begin to make progress. I know she loved life. All dogs do. If you passed first, she would adjust and continue to love life without you. She wants you to do the same thing, and at some point in future, your heart will be open to giving another deserving dog a loving home, and Sassy will be so happy once you do. She loves you and does not want all that she helped you to accomplish to be for naught. Do not let her work be for naught. Keep pushing ahead. Work through the grief and the pain and the ocean of tears because you must. It is tempting to try to escape it in one way or another, but the best thing you can do is to face it today and tomorrow and every day after until some semblance of "normalcy" returns. There really is no alternative. Grief, loss, mourning, and recovering is HARD WORK. You can do it, though, and everyone here wants to help. Please keep in touch. We care.

Remember to take good care of yourself because Sassy loved you and that is what she expects you to do now that she is not there to look after you like she used to do. If you do not take good care of yourself, it will make her grieve even more, so do i for her as well as for Sassy. I hesitate to say this, but time really does heal all wounds, at least to the extent that they can be healed. Embrace the days ahead and take good care of yourself.
Thank you so much.
I was really hoping that I would dream of her last night or have some other sign from her.
I just don't feel any closure. It just happened so fast. I never really had a chance to say goodbye. It is just tearing me apart inside.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much.
I was really hoping that I would dream of her last night or have some other sign from her.
I just don't feel any closure. It just happened so fast. I never really had a chance to say goodbye. It is just tearing me apart inside.
You are still in total shock. You may be in shock for quite a while. Sassy will give you a sign. I am sure of it. You cannot determine what it will be or what day/time it will happen, but she will give you a sign. Listen for her moving around in the house. I know that sounds crazy, but after my girl passed, I could hear her in the living room whilst I was in my study, wide awake at my desk, during the day. If I walked in there, I saw nothing, but from my study, I could hear her. This went on for about two weeks. I think her spirit stayed close to me for about two weeks before she left. She came back again once in a while in the first few months. She has not been to the house in a long, long time now, but I do not doubt she may come back to me in a dream, or I may hear her bark outside some day. She did come back to me at the park a few times Christmas before last. I could feel her presence as I walked the same trails we walked for years. You may feel Sassy by your side if you walk.

I know it is not much comfort now, but I promise you if you forge ahead and do the very hard work of getting through the pain and grieving, you will come out on the other side. Life will never be quite the same again, but your life and hers were both better because you had one another. You still do. She lives forever in your heart, and I believe she is watching even now. She is out of pain, and she must feel like a puppy again. I know her only concern is that you recover and start to enjoy your life again. Eventually, opening your heart and home to another dog, perhaps one that has been abandoned and had no care or love in its life, will make Sassy so happy. She does not want you to be alone. That is why her spirit is still close by right now even if you cannot pick up on it at the moment.

I had my girl cremated. Did you make plans for cremation or burial? I suggest you light a candle for her and think about all the happy times you shared. THOSE are the things she wants you to think about right now.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:23 PM

14,964 posts, read 12,178,709 times
Quote:

It'll get better over time, I promise. It just happened and unexpectedly, so your loss and sorrow is acute and raw at this time.

When you are able, perhaps you can find solace and comfort in knowing that you gave Sassy a wonderful life, you shared your love with her, she knew up to the last that you loved her and she loved you back. It's hard, but generally we live longer than our beloved pets. Our sorrow at their loss is, I think, the flip side of the love we share with them.

Of course, no other dog could replace Sassy, or fill the space that she leaves in your heart. But maybe with time, when you're ready, you will find another dog who needs a home and your love. This dog won't replace Sassy, but will find his own way into your heart, with his own personality and unique ways, and love you unconditionally like Sassy did.

My best wishes to you, and condolences for your loss.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:34 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses.

What has helped me is to search rescues and look for another dog.
Keeps my mind off her passing otherwise I will go crazy.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the responses.

What has helped me is to search rescues and look for another dog.
Keeps my mind off her passing otherwise I will go crazy.
The kindest thing you could do right now is to give a homeless dog a home and the love it deserves. Another dog does not replace Sassy, but I am sure nothing would make Sassy happier than to know a homeless dog will now have a home. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs