Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 05:44 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times

Advertisements

I think the title of this post, and the OP's actual problem, don't match. Being panicked from firecrackers, etc. is not separation anxiety. To me, that's very situation-specific, and unfortunately lots of dogs suffer from this and it makes the Fourth a very hard holiday (with lots of dogs bolting and getting lost).

I do agree, OP, that you would do well to get in touch with a vet to talk about it. Low-dose Trazadone (NOT to be taken long-term, but 2 hours in advance of a thunderstorm or, in this case, 2 hours before dark on the Fourth of July holiday weekends) can help, but the vet needs to know your dog is healthy and know his weight to prescribe the correct dose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 01:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Default Phinney Walker, 63732450

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Be very careful what you give your dog.

You might try Benedryl to make him drowsy. Contact your local humane society to see if they can help you find help on a sliding scale basis.

Be careful not to inadvertently reward him for separation anxiety and other fears. Cuddling him, cooing to him, showing him a lot of attention just before you leave and again upon your return will make it MUCH WORSE. Please research this issue.

I am not trying to be unkind, but if you cannot afford to provide whatever medical care your dog needs, then you should not have a dog. Dogs and cats need regular vet care, heart worm and flea prevention, etc. It is not cheap. If you do not have the budget for your dog, then you should look for a home for him where they can provide for all of his needs.
We usually take him to PETCO, in NYC, they provide, everything the dog needs, this dog is treated better than some people's children......we care for him 24/7. I was referring in the event he needs major surgery, that is where the problem comes in. He has all his shots, flea prevention , and heart worm......he is being cared like a PRINCE. Petco employs a veterinarian to look after all dogs......

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated......

Old 07-05-2022, 02:23 PM

Default Igo Blevin; 63732461 Re: My Puppy's Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Have you tried leaving snacks and food puzzles for you dog?

Have you tried coming and going briefly so your dog sort of gets use to you being away but for short periods.

The worst thing you can do for separation anxiety is make a HUGE deal of "bye sweetums, bye fluffy wuffy, Mommy is going to miss you" when you leave, and then do the whole "Mommy is home!" bit when you come home. You should try coming and going unceremoniously without any fanfare. Just disappear and then just arrive home and leave a dog treat or puzzle with your dog when you leave to settle it down.

Of course, that may not work at this point if your dog has it bad. You may need the help of a dog behaviorist.

Igor, " I have no place to disappear to.......'' Sorry......LOL......

Old 07-05-2022, 02:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
We usually take him to PETCO, in NYC, they provide, everything the dog needs, this dog is treated better than some people's children......we care for him 24/7. I was referring in the event he needs major surgery, that is where the problem comes in. He has all his shots, flea prevention , and heart worm......he is being cared like a PRINCE. Petco employs a veterinarian to look after all dogs......
Not doubting you take good care of your dog, but the original post says "going to a veterinary is not possible at this time." Where does surgery come into this, and why would that even be part of a discussion on separation anxiety? Just wondering, since you did phrase it like NO vet care is in your budget right now. That's why the other poster responded as they did.

One more question - what breed(s) is your dog?

Old 07-05-2022, 03:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Just try a Thundershirt first. They have excellent reviews. Affordable too. In fact, in a pinch you can make your own. Just need an old T Shirt and ace bandages. https://www.k9ofmine.com/diy-thundershirt/

BTW, I don't believe in pumping pharma drugs into any animal unless it's a last resort.

People too for that matter - frighteningly, the sickest people I know hardly had anything wrong with them until they got on prescription drugs for little things. Next thing you know they needed another drug to counteract the side effects of the first drug, etc., etc... Nope! Count me out. I am perfectly healthy (crosses fingers) in my 50's. I eat right, get my sleep and am on no drugs. One of the few I know at my age too.

Also, Gemini1963 is correct. Being scared of fireworks and storms is not the same as separation anxiety. Two different issues.

Old 07-05-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not doubting you take good care of your dog, but the original post says "going to a veterinary is not possible at this time." Where does surgery come into this, and why would that even be part of a discussion on separation anxiety? Just wondering, since you did phrase it like NO vet care is in your budget right now. That's why the other poster responded as they did.

Bichon Frisse and Shih Tzu...............extremely intelligent mixture.....this is my third one from that mixture, and the most loving, attentive, caring animal .............i love him so very, very much.......

Old 07-05-2022, 06:55 PM

I went all the way to Delaware from NYC to get him from a breeder. He choose me....unbottoning my shoe laces......The breeder's husband did not want to let him go........he called him, "my friend," now I now why.........he is a treasure......

Old 07-05-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Bichon Frisse and Shtzu

Old 07-05-2022, 07:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I went all the way to Delaware from NYC to get him from a breeder. He choose me....unbottoning my shoe laces......The breeder's husband did not want to let him go........he called him, "my friend," now I now why.........he is a treasure......
You purchased your dog from a breeder.... There are literally thousands upon thousands of animals in shelters across the country. I implore you the next time you want to adopt an animal, PLEASE adopt from a shelter or a rescue group instead of lining the pockets of breeders.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:20 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
You purchased your dog from a breeder.... There are literally thousands upon thousands of animals in shelters across the country. I implore you the next time you want to adopt an animal, PLEASE adopt from a shelter or a rescue group instead of lining the pockets of breeders.
Uh Oh, one of those...adopting from a shelter these days is easy if you happen to desire a who-knows-what crossbred pit that may not even be legal to have in your community, a breed that's excluded from your insurance (bullies, mastiffs, German shepherds, Rottweiler mutt, etc), a chihuahua with dental and eye problems, or a half wild escape artist Husky; complete with those coveted blue eyes.

You may not choose to believe it, but there still are conscientious breeders who manage to produce healthy, socialized companion dogs and who screen their adopters to ensure their puppies will live their lives in suitable homes with just the right families.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2022 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs