Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:36 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,419 times

Advertisements

Hi, has anyone used a good dog backpack to use as a carrier for a small dog? Or, a good bike trailer to carry a dog while biking? There are so many out there and many have mixed reviews. I want to take my dog on some bike rides. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 09:54 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
There are lots of bicycle trailers made specifically to carry a dog, so the dog is safely confined and can't jump out, yet can see and has good ventilation.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Buy a Trailer! You fall off wearing backpack Dog gets hurt or killed.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:42 PM

I understand that I need to buy a trailer. My question is, does anyone have a brand they liked or didn't like? As my question said, there are tons of brands listed some with mixed reviews. Does anyone have a brand in particular that they like?

Old 07-01-2022, 10:20 AM

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trailer+f..._ts-doa-p_4_18

Each has its own reviews by folks that purchased & used them the Good Bad & Ugly!

Old 07-01-2022, 12:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
You've come to the right place! I've been a bicycle advocate in a past life (joking! But it was many years ago now. However, some basics stay the same!). I also have long used bicycle trailers, for cargo and dogs.

First off, Burley has been a premium name in bicycle trailers for over 40 years now. They've earned trust. But, they are more expensive, so you'll likely be looking around whatever I say!

That said, go with a brand name first. The Schwinn's might be ok - IDK - but at least they have a brand name to protect. DON'T buy a trailer online (except for one of the brand names I recognize, see list*), and I don't care about any small savings you get for doing so. Make sure you SEE the product you are buying.

Go to a bicycle store - and preferably two - see what they have and recommend. They will be au courant with the products available. My bicycle trailers are all at least 20 years old. There will have been some product changes in that time. Bonus karma points if you then buy from one of those stores, to pay them back for sharing their expertise.

*List of brands I still recognize, and would trust, not in any order:
Burley
Surly
Thule
Topeak

There are a lot of other brands online, and I don't recognize any of them. Some of those other products may be fine products. Also, I think it likely that 99% of what's offered on the internet will likely work, to an acceptable degree, for short rides (<5 miles), and a year or two of wear. OTOH, I'd expect a product from one of the brands I mentioned to last for decades, with a little reasonable care. If you plan on JUST riding around the park, cheap may be fine. If you are planning on cycle-camping, off-road riding, or cycle-touring, go with the expensive brands.

Also, investigate bikejoring. That's where you put a special harness on the bike, and the dogs can help pull you.

DON'T attempt to ride with a dog on leash, unless you are a very experienced cyclist, and know exactly what you are getting into. I did see a product that attached a post to the seat post, and that perpendicular post attached to a leash for the dog. I would be cautious about that setup, but it should be somewhat safer than just holding a leash while riding a bicycle.

Just keeping the dog on a leash while riding is dangerous because:
  • one hand has to hold the leash when
  • you need two hands to control the bike and brake safely, especially in dicey situations;
  • and, should the dog dart away, as they are prone to do, for instance, on sighting a squirrel, THEN
  • Either the dog will pull the leash out of your hand, and will then be effectively off-leash, OR
  • the dog will pull you in the direction it is going, and will be pulling you from a point higher than your center-of-gravity, which means you will probably go in the direction of your dog, while your bike may NOT.
  • AND, your dog can dash in front of your front wheel, colliding with your front wheel, which will disrupt your steering in some unfortunate manner, meaning you'll likely crash in a painful and dangerous manner.

If there's something I haven't covered, please let me know!

Last edited by hiero2; 07-01-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 12:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Oh, and btw, fwiw, I wouldn't recommend a backpack for riding unless you were on my "worst enemy/most deserving of bad karma" list. That goes double for an animal backpack. There are people who like backpacks for riding, but there are way too many reasons it's a bad idea - so I won't recommend.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:56 PM

hiero2 ... Check these out LOL

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bike+for+...l_65fhzfq0j7_e

Hey look No Hands hehehehe

Old 07-01-2022, 07:12 PM

Hiero2, thank you! Let me say first, my dog is a 12 pound chihuahua mix! He will not be on a leash running! You gave me some very helpful suggestions. The rides would be over 5 miles, but not off-road. Just on paved bike/walking trails. It was very helpful advice to go to the store in person. I would have bought something online which is why I am very hesitant. I'd rather spend the money once and get something good, than buy something cheap that needs to be replaced in a year. So I'll go to bike stores. I appreciate the advice not to use a backpack. If you look online, they make it look so easy, with the dog's paws on your shoulders! But, what about a front basket? No good? I'll start looking at stores and come back here with further questions--thank you. Thank you also Oregonwood and Katie1.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:08 PM

Put a milk crate om the bike back or front Put a cushion in it put a lid on top INSTANT DOG CARRIER

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%26FORM%3DVDRE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs