Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 05:48 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times

Advertisements

If I had a 12 pound Chihuahua or other similar sized dog, a front basket might work OK for a 5 mile or so bike ride on a bike/walking trail. I have seen many of those before. The dog needs a short leash hooked to the rim of the basket so they can't jump out. The bottom of the basket needs to have a solid surface, and maybe a little padding or cushion. Some baskets are wicker instead of metal cage, others are synthetics.

I think a trailer would be overkill for a relatively short bike ride with a small dog (but good for medium to larger dogs). Trailers can be a lot of extra work to set up and hook up. Also I agree 100 percent with earlier comments about how a backpack is not a good idea to carry a dog on a bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 07:02 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Recycled and Katie 1 thank you. I’m not that handy so I don’t know about a milk crate. The basket looks good but not sure which one is strong. Even the most highly rated ones get some bad reviews mixed in. If anyone has any personal experience with trailers or front baskets please let me know. The reason I would be doing this is for vacations where I do not want to leave my dog alone in a hotel room. He is a barker if I’m not there. Maybe also for a day trip somewhere.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Recycled and Katie 1 thank you. I’m not that handy so I don’t know about a milk crate. The basket looks good but not sure which one is strong. Even the most highly rated ones get some bad reviews mixed in. If anyone has any personal experience with trailers or front baskets please let me know. The reason I would be doing this is for vacations where I do not want to leave my dog alone in a hotel room. He is a barker if I’m not there. Maybe also for a day trip somewhere.
Doghead; I wrote a nice, very thorough post this morning about racks and baskets as an option. Came back just now and it is GONE???!!! WTF. Ugh - I'm not going to spend more time rewriting it, so here it is in a nutshell:

The light weight of your dog changes all the equations.

For a 12 lb dog, a trailer is overkill. Backpacks are still not a very good idea - they are hot, they destabilize you, they can get in your way in an accident, and you can fall on top of the dog when you crash.

But baskets can be an excellent idea for a dog this size - and I think they are the best idea. Without going into why (bike stores should know, if you want to ask), don't look at handlebar-mounted-only carriers. They are less stable. Do look at proper racks that fasten at or near the axles. And find a carrier/basket that is designed to securely mount to such a rack (ask the bicycle store where you buy the rack). Personally, I would prefer a rear rack, but a front rack would be ok. Just not a low-rider mounting - too close to the spokes IMO.

Do an online search for "Audrey Hepburn and Mr Famous bicycle". Mr. Famous was her Yorkie, and he probably weighed less than 10 lbs. You'll see her basket attaches at her front axle. And, that she is riding a bike with relaxed geometry and a long wheelbase (translates to stable). In the Wizard of Oz, the female character who later became the witch used a basket and a REAR rack. Also a good photo to look up.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 07-02-2022, 08:23 PM

Hiero2, thank you! Very helpful. I was wondering if attaching it to the handlebar was not a good idea. He is definitely 12 pounds--not really light. I will look at the bike stores for this type of basket. On another note, would a backpack be any better for hiking? As opposed to biking? Thank you so much for all your help. People say just go online and look at reviews--no one tells you all of this--the pictures and reviews make things look so easy.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:02 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
. . . On another note, would a backpack be any better for hiking? As opposed to biking? . . .
Hiking is a completely different thing, eh? First off, you are on your own two feet, not balancing on two skinny tires where you rely on funny physics to make sure you go forward in a straight line! So, a backpack is probably the only way to go for hiking.

You know, I say "funny physics" about balancing and steering on a bicycle, but bicycles really are marvels of physics. To us they seem so simple - get on and ride! The physics that make it work are invisible, eh? But bicycles are a complex and complicated blend of many engineering marvels that deal with the physics of each part. Every bit of them is an engineering marvel - from spoked and tensioned wheels - to tubular frames - to a multi-gear drivetrain that makes humans the most energy efficient traveler of any animal in the world - to the mysteries of HOW that front wheel with its steering manages to go straight and stay straight, or to turn. That last is a combination of frame geometry and physics that is, to this very day, not completely understood by physicists.

Whereas, hiking - you've got the two feet nature gave you!

Old 07-03-2022, 10:18 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Hiking VS Biking one is FAST like my son got clocked by a cop going 100 MPH on his bike!! Just using his feet No speed bike just petal power. Where hiking on your own 2 feet about 5 miles per hour. IF you trip and fall chances, are you roll so you won't land on the dog!!

Old 07-04-2022, 05:11 AM

Hiero2 thanks for your good advice and appreciation of bike physics!

Old 07-04-2022, 04:54 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
This is what you need
Attached Thumbnails
Backpack to carry dog or Bike Trailer-278875168_5039359476145436_1105666333424629148_n.jpg  

Old 07-09-2022, 12:36 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Hi, has anyone used a good dog backpack to use as a carrier for a small dog? Or, a good bike trailer to carry a dog while biking? There are so many out there and many have mixed reviews. I want to take my dog on some bike rides. Thanks.
Please
Please
Please

Don't EVER put any living, breathing anything into a "backpack." Just because it looks "cute."

Especially when riding a bike. It's totally unfair to the animal to subject this torturous activity. Especially if an SUV punts you off the road.

Think of it this way....backpack wearing motorcyclist...

Now, increase the risk. Now, you have bicycling.

Between your two choices, I'd take the trailer in a heart beat.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:09 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I'm glad I re-read the title because at first I thought you were talking about a dog-back pack like the one I have for my big male Schnitzel-

I was thinking "Hmm- a trailer hitched to my dog? A pull cart?! BRILLIANT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs