Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you have a dog?
It's mainly my child/baby 23 46.94%
It's mainly my personal guard dog 3 6.12%
It's my show dog 0 0%
It's my livestock guardian dog 2 4.08%
Other (please explain) 25 51.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 04:15 PM

11,085 posts, read 6,933,936 times

Advertisements

While letting YouTube go on autoplay, Judge Judy came up. Now I rarely listen to that show but the case that came up was because of a dog that bit a 6 yr old child. It occurred to me that the defendant in question has the dog for protection (she stated the dog was trying to protect her and her baby in the stroller). Well, Judge Judy ruled against her.

Anyway, I started thinking, what are the reasons that people have a dog or dogs? I myself have puppy dogs. They are big. They are very sweet-looking. They are now 12 and about 13, but they are my babies/puppies and always will be They are definitely not guard dogs! The only time they get their panties in a bunch is over the squirrels in the yard. I think they hate the squirrels because they have never been able to catch one They both have a strong prey drive but they are docile as all heck otherwise. I always tell people "they will lick you to death."

So, why do people have a dog, and why do you have a dog? (multiple reasons are of course, a given)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 04:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,796,091 times
I didn't vote because what I would vote for isn't there.

My dog isn't my "baby or child," and I don't want him to be; I want him to be a dog, which is what he is. As a Spitz breed, he definitely has guarding tendencies, is very much a one-person dog, and he barks. I appreciate knowing if there's a bear, a big cat, or whatever outside at night, but that isn't the only reason I have him. He provides companionship, but not the same type of companionship that a child or baby provides. He's a dog.

As far as the Judge Judy verdict, keep in mind that she sees civil cases only. Whether the owner was criminally negligent is another story that we can't know the answer to without more details.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-27-2022 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-27-2022, 04:48 PM

4,514 posts, read 5,066,504 times
Other. Dogs are easier to raise than kids and a heck of a lot smarter !!

Old 06-27-2022, 04:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,138,531 times
A dog is a companion, furry kid and guardian. It’s nice to have a big furry intelligent creature wondering around the house, they’re better than an alarm too. They have soft and cuddly fur, it’s great to pet them.

When we were first married, my spouse was on a business trip and it was night. I was alone in the house, standing in the bedroom and heard a loud rustling right outside the window. At first I thought it was an animal, then realized it was a person standing on the other side. I was paralyzed with fear, but ran down the hall to check the front door was locked.

A month later, my pop flew my shepherd out to California, I’d been waiting to introduce him to hubs who wasn’t used to dogs. They got along great, and it was wonderful to have him in the house whenever my spouse went on a business trip. I never felt afraid again, my dog was super protective of me and would have demolished anyone dumb enough to come in.

Dogs are wonderful and a beautiful and intelligent dog is well worth having. I like the large protective breeds but it’s fun having a tiny yorkie too.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:07 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,254,342 times
Other

Dogs are fun to be with.

I give love and get love.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:05 PM

4,514 posts, read 5,066,504 times
We had a beagle. When I would come home from work, I would take off my boots in the garage, come in the house and open the closet and get out my slippers. One day, I walked in the house and he went to the closet and brougt me a slipper, then went back and got the other one. A few days later, he put the two slippers together, and brought both of them at the same time. We never taught him to do it, he just figured it out on his own. Also, when my wife would make cookies, he would go into the entry way and pull the rug to the oven in the kitchen and sit there and wait for the cookiies to come out of the oven.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,992,766 times
Companion and protection

Old 06-27-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
We had a beagle. When I would come home from work, I would take off my boots in the garage, come in the house and open the closet and get out my slippers. One day, I walked in the house and he went to the closet and brougt me a slipper, then went back and got the other one. A few days later, he put the two slippers together, and brought both of them at the same time. We never taught him to do it, he just figured it out on his own. Also, when my wife would make cookies, he would go into the entry way and pull the rug to the oven in the kitchen and sit there and wait for the cookiies to come out of the oven.
That's precious!

Old 06-27-2022, 09:02 PM

10,348 posts, read 6,898,458 times
I don't have a clue as to why I have a dog. Maybe because SWMBO wanted one? (Turns out she wants 4!) Next one is going to be a puppy...

They sure do bring A LOT of life into the house, that's for sure.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:24 AM

LOL I hope you enjoy them for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs