Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you have a dog?
It's mainly my child/baby 23 46.94%
It's mainly my personal guard dog 3 6.12%
It's my show dog 0 0%
It's my livestock guardian dog 2 4.08%
Other (please explain) 25 51.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 08:28 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,929,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Other

Dogs are fun to be with.

I give love and get love.
Yes, I'd actually have to say babies and "other." And definitely give and get love. They are SO fun to be with! We visit a lot of trails and dog parks and beaches, and now lakes and rivers in the SE. They really get to be dogs living with me. We are taking another massive road trip in a couple months and we will again be visiting our favorite trails, parks and dog beaches. For now they have a big yard with an electric fence to prevent them from roaming the neighborhood. One of my dogs really needs his exploring time/relative autonomy. He also needs a lot of contact with other dogs. The other dog not so much. She's more of a velcro dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 09:38 AM

30,309 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
...why do you have a dog? (multiple reasons are of course, a given)
I had no intention of having a dog, let alone 2, but some ogres out there severely mistreat dogs.

Like...the 3 puppies who were thrown out of a moving car into traffic in Miami in 2010. One didn't make it after being tossed out. He/she was hit by a vehicle and killed.

Of the other 2, I took them. One I had to put down 2 years ago, and the other is currently on my bed, sleeping. She is the cutest, smartest, most hilarious dog that has ever lived.

That is why I have/had dogs.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:53 AM

Amen to that!

My boy dog, the wanderer/explorer, was SEVERELY abused in his early days. He has a dent in his tail where someone tried to cut off his tail several inches from his behind. He has a bent front leg, from where someone wrenched his leg just because they felt like it. I'm told pitchforks were involved. He ran the roads in the remote desert with his sister which is probably where his strong prey drive developed from (wild food).

He's a wondeful, amazing, sweet, quiet, lovely dog. He's had the BEST life with me, and I'm so grateful he came to me. After he first arrived he escaped out the front door (his nickname in the rescue was "Houdini"). I chased him in my Jeep across busy intersections, peoples' u-turn driveways, hit a sprinkler that started gushing, chased him onto the golf course. He ran straight back to my front door (a condo complex) but the door was closed. 2 hours later, he was at my bedroom window on the golf course. That's when I knew he was mine, and I was his. He's still skittish after 10 years. I'll be absolutely gutted when he passes, but of course will get over it.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:36 AM

5,667 posts, read 3,176,878 times
Mine is my baby/child. I say he's MY dog...but technically, he's the family dog. And now that my husband is retired...my husband has taken more of a shine to Ziggy.

Ziggy is a Shih tsu. He's a funny boy. He's like a 6 yr old little boy in some ways. Way affectionate with his mom (me) but has affection and love for anyone who will pay attention to him. He's comical, friendly, loves other dogs and other people. Doesn't have a shy or mean bone in his body.

He's the only dog we've ever had that loves to play fetch.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:48 AM

Several years ago, I took my girl dog to a ranch out west of Phoenix. They trained livestock guardian dogs. She was tested for her "herding skills." She was really young, and a condo dog at that point, so she was confused. I was told that all dogs have herding skills to varying degrees. The ranch had sheep, cows and geese. It was so fun. I think that ranch is gone now because one of the partners had cancer.

Years later I lived on a ranch in New Mexico. Girl dog tried to herd the horse, that did not go over well! She tried to herd the sheep but the neighbor understandably didn't want her chasing the sheep. Ironically my boy dog is part Red Heeler (with Shepherd and Wolf overtones), but he's more interested in sniffing and exploring.

I'd like to live in the country again and have a livestock guardian dog, an Anatolian Shepherd or more likely, a Maremma. Maybe someday...

Old 06-28-2022, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 4,942 times
I didn't have a dog for a few years until earlier this year again. I have a couple of cats. I saw on the news the shelters were full again from being brought back by people who adopted during lockdown. My heart was broke thinking, who could do that? Next day I went to my nearest shelter & fell in love with a black lab named Harley and adopted him. He's the best addition to our house. Both cats really liked him after a couple days. Harley scared them at first because he was so hyper, curious of everything & happy being able to run around. Now they're friends. My animals are like my children because I don't know how to love them any other way, so that's what I voted based on that.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:24 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
For the past 20+ years mine have been Service Dogs

Old 06-28-2022, 12:46 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,007,648 times
companionship. And yes, instead of having children.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I didn't vote because what I would vote for isn't there.

My dog isn't my "baby or child," and I don't want him to be; I want him to be a dog, which is what he is. As a Spitz breed, he definitely has guarding tendencies, is very much a one-person dog, and he barks. I appreciate knowing if there's a bear, a big cat, or whatever outside at night, but that isn't the only reason I have him. He provides companionship, but not the same type of companionship that a child or baby provides. He's a dog.

As far as the Judge Judy verdict, keep in mind that she sees civil cases only. Whether the owner was criminally negligent is another story that we can't know the answer to without more details.
I don't think the woman was criminally negligent. The father of the boy just wanted the medical costs covered, which was awarded. I think it was just an unfortunate incident that happened because of poor timing on both the owner and the child's part. Kind of like when two people back out of a parking spot at the same time without seeing each other. The child probably didn't know what to do (in which case the parents need to do some teaching). I certainly don't blame the dog, it was probably a protective type, especially with a baby in a stroller.

I kind of wish that my dogs had more guarding tendencies, but that's not their breed. They do alert, which is helpful. But guard? No. Boy shies away while curiously looking, and girl wags and licks. Oh well.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:38 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,007,932 times
I picked other, as child/baby is not a good description in my thinking. I think if you added another answer: "To be a companion/friend" you'd knock out a lot of "other". A companion/friend is not the same as child/baby. Besides, my children were never as well behaved as my dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs