Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 12:49 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,376,508 times

Advertisements

Yikes. I've been in this house for five years and no sign of fleas or ticks. This morning the dog came in with a tick crawling around on him.

So, fellow dog owners, what do you recommend for flea and tick control? Is there anything over the counter that works? How about Ivermecin, does that kill ticks? Not that I won't buy whatever the dogs need, but it will cost me almost $500 just to take three dogs into the vet for no other reason than to get a prescription for tick meds. I'll do it if I have to, but would prefer not.

Doggone it, my skin is crawling ever since I saw that tick. It feels like creepy things are crawling all over me. I really hate ticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 01:10 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,384,012 times
I agree. I really hate ticks, too.

We've used Vectra 3D in the past and although we were not in very tick-y places, it worked well for ticks & fleas. Our current dog writhed on the floor the first time I applied it. She was a pretty feral little rescue puppy at the time (though not too young for us to apply the Vectra 3D), so maybe it just "felt funny," but our previous dogs had not reacted like that, so I discontinued use immediate. She is fine with Frontline Plus (another topical) and by and large it works well.

I can't keep all the feedback straight about tick collars and Bravecto. I hear ominous warnings, but I don't know if those cases are outliers, or something to worry about. Last I heard, our vet was still recommending Bravecto. If safe, it certainly is convenient.

We also vaccinate our dog for Lyme disease and that gives me an extra sense of protection. I have found embedded ticks in her (too late), and so far, knock on wood, she has not gotten sick (and it's been nearly a year since the first time that happened). So, I think that the vaccine has helped. We get her boosted annually. (I hear they're working on one for humans, which I would welcome.)

Good luck! (Ugh!)

Old 06-22-2022, 02:02 PM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yikes. I've been in this house for five years and no sign of fleas or ticks. This morning the dog came in with a tick crawling around on him.

So, fellow dog owners, what do you recommend for flea and tick control? Is there anything over the counter that works? How about Ivermecin, does that kill ticks? Not that I won't buy whatever the dogs need, but it will cost me almost $500 just to take three dogs into the vet for no other reason than to get a prescription for tick meds. I'll do it if I have to, but would prefer not.

Doggone it, my skin is crawling ever since I saw that tick. It feels like creepy things are crawling all over me. I really hate ticks.
Friends have had good luck with Seresto flea collars. I don't think it would work very well for you because you have multiple dogs and a puppy. I went away from them after the puppy chewed through the older dogs flea collar when they were roughousing, and there went any cost saving over the oral product. Also, be careful where you source your Seresto collar from. Don't buy on Amazon, buy from reputable retailers or Vet offices as counterfeits abound. I learned that when I a) saw a tick on my dog while he had his seresto on and b) did research and found my wife bought the collars on Amazon from what turned out to be a rather suspect seller. You know what they say, if a deal sounds to good to be true, it is, even on black Friday.

I've also used the Frontline products. These are sealed, single dose topicals. You snip the cap off and apply it over the shoulder blades. They work. The downside is that there is a time period of about a day where the dog looks like you put hair gel on her shoulder blades (more noticeable on long hair dogs) and it does have a smell (though it doesn't last long at all.)

I use Nexguard, and have used Bravecto. They work well. I have a lot of ticks wear I'm at and my wife will have to check me but never seen one on the dog using these products. At least to order online, they require an rX.

RE the vet; my Vet sells flea and tick, by the box or by the pill. They don't require a special visit if your dog is a patient at the practice. So, if you go in for annual visits/vaccinations, they may very well sell you the meds.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:52 PM

613 posts, read 1,023,062 times
It's a banner year, here; caught me off guard. I use K-9 Advantix. It's supposedly more effective than Frontline, though less safe. But I've never had any problems with it. It costs about $10 per serving and should last for at least a month. It's an over-the-counter topical.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:02 AM

2,120 posts, read 3,031,481 times
Watch out for Seresto, I used to use it until news a year or so ago about dogs dying.
Still a lot of news about it and trying to recall it.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:57 AM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Watch out for Seresto, I used to use it until news a year or so ago about dogs dying.
Still a lot of news about it and trying to recall it.
I've read those. While concerning, I'd be (generally) more concerned about fleas and ticks. The collars have been sold for over a decade with more than 30 Million dogs wearing them.

Make no mistake; any topical medication or collar contains poison designed to kill fleas and ticks. There is some level of risk inherent.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,788,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I agree. I really hate ticks, too.

We've used Vectra 3D in the past and although we were not in very tick-y places, it worked well for ticks & fleas. Our current dog writhed on the floor the first time I applied it. She was a pretty feral little rescue puppy at the time (though not too young for us to apply the Vectra 3D), so maybe it just "felt funny," but our previous dogs had not reacted like that, so I discontinued use immediate. She is fine with Frontline Plus (another topical) and by and large it works well.

I can't keep all the feedback straight about tick collars and Bravecto. I hear ominous warnings, but I don't know if those cases are outliers, or something to worry about. Last I heard, our vet was still recommending Bravecto. If safe, it certainly is convenient.

We also vaccinate our dog for Lyme disease and that gives me an extra sense of protection. I have found embedded ticks in her (too late), and so far, knock on wood, she has not gotten sick (and it's been nearly a year since the first time that happened). So, I think that the vaccine has helped. We get her boosted annually. (I hear they're working on one for humans, which I would welcome.)

Good luck! (Ugh!)
Ticks carry other transmittable illnesses outside of Lyme. My male contracted anaplasmosis and it nearly killed him, the poor guy was sick for WEEKS and the tick was on him for less than 6 hours before we found it.

Our new puppy was Lyme vaccinated and before the booster was due we pulled a tick off of her. She then tested positive for the bacteria that causes Lyme- she may or may not develop LD in her life now. So, even the LD vaccination isn't 100%.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,384,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Ticks carry other transmittable illnesses outside of Lyme. My male contracted anaplasmosis and it nearly killed him, the poor guy was sick for WEEKS and the tick was on him for less than 6 hours before we found it.

Our new puppy was Lyme vaccinated and before the booster was due we pulled a tick off of her. She then tested positive for the bacteria that causes Lyme- she may or may not develop LD in her life now. So, even the LD vaccination isn't 100%.

Yes. Thanks for this important reminder.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:41 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,653,985 times
We've switched the dogs to simparica trio with great results. They are tick magnets so really glad its been working out.

I'm anti-bravecto. We used previously and made the dogs sick. Lots of negative stuff about it coming out.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:02 AM

613 posts, read 1,023,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
It's a banner year, here; caught me off guard. I use K-9 Advantix. It's supposedly more effective than Frontline, though less safe. But I've never had any problems with it. It costs about $10 per serving and should last for at least a month. It's an over-the-counter topical.
I have to rethink this. The K-9 Advantix doesn't seem to be effective this year. Have the fleas evolved? I hate to resort to those pills after what I read about them, although they eat pesticides now with the heartworm chews. When I was a kid my family used flea collars in the summers but I've read some awful things about those, too.

I'm going to try the witch hazel-aloe-cedarwood-lemon oil topical mixture. Anyone have any luck with that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs