Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 11:07 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

Yesterday afternoon a tick jumped on me in my bedroom. I got him and flushed him down the toilet. The dogs probably brought them in, or it jumped on my dress while I was filling the suet feeder on the tree out front.

I was wondering about this question myself. My dogs are on Simparica Trio, which is very expensive, but works ($26 x 2 every month). I want something for myself! Is anyone taking anything internally that will ward off a tick?

I think these are dog ticks which are not deadly the way deer ticks are. Still, its horrible to think of these little b's burrowing into the skin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 10:03 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My latest discovery is that it takes two people to put flea drops onto Seeker.

I was there with an open applicator in one hand and trying to part the hair with the other hand while he was trying to see what I was doing there on his shoulder blades and he was twisting and wiggling and falling on the ground, trying to see what I was up to.

If I do it again next month, I'll have to get someone to hold him still as I apply the drops.

There is a spray that repels ticks made for horses. That would be safe for dogs because horses have delicate skin and any product made for horses has to be gentle. The stuff repels the ticks so they refuse to get onto the animal. The problem is that one review says you can smell it and that you reapply in a couple of weeks when you can't smell it any more. I'm thinking that smelling bug repellent might not be the best thing for a house dog,

Old 06-30-2022, 10:10 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I have had one response from a person that uses ivermectin and says it works. I'm thinking about trying it, but would have to have Wyatt McRiot tested for the MDR1 gene first. Down side is that ivermectin has gone form $50 a bottle to $200 a bottle. My guess is that is due to so many people using it for Covid in people.

The show dog people are all saying that the frontline gold is working but that the original frontline no longer works and the frontline plus is a lot less successful than it was.

All of those flea and tick meds, the flea or tick must bite the dog in order to be killed. I'd greatly prefer something that makes the little bugger stay completely off the dog.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:51 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have had one response from a person that uses ivermectin and says it works. I'm thinking about trying it, but would have to have Wyatt McRiot tested for the MDR1 gene first. Down side is that ivermectin has gone form $50 a bottle to $200 a bottle. My guess is that is due to so many people using it for Covid in people.

The show dog people are all saying that the frontline gold is working but that the original frontline no longer works and the frontline plus is a lot less successful than it was.

All of those flea and tick meds, the flea or tick must bite the dog in order to be killed. I'd greatly prefer something that makes the little bugger stay completely off the dog.

I did not know about Frontline Gold. I think we'll give that a try. Thank you!

(For what it's worth, I hold our 49-lb dog's head/neck between my legs when I apply the Frontline - obviously not tightly enough to strangle her or anything, but it's definitely not comfortable for her, and she does not wiggle when I do it. I keep her in this hold for a full minute after the application, knowing she will shake afterwards. Then: big treat! Then: leash walk for at least 20 minutes so she has no opportunity to rub it off. Over the months (now years), she has come to accept the routine just fine.)

Old 06-30-2022, 02:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
I think any of the topical frontlines require the tick bite the dog, but I could be wrong. Frontline gold is Pyriproxyfen, Fipronyl, and Methoprene. Fipronyl should keep the bugs OFF, the bugs don't have to eat it, just come in contact with it IE on their skin. Pyripoxifen is a common ingredient in shampoos, carpet powders, and foggers, it makes sure that any insect larvae/eggs don't develop/hatch, so does methoprene.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
We've switched the dogs to simparica trio with great results. They are tick magnets so really glad its been working out.

I'm anti-bravecto. We used previously and made the dogs sick. Lots of negative stuff about it coming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yesterday afternoon a tick jumped on me in my bedroom. I got him and flushed him down the toilet. The dogs probably brought them in, or it jumped on my dress while I was filling the suet feeder on the tree out front.

I was wondering about this question myself. My dogs are on Simparica Trio, which is very expensive, but works ($26 x 2 every month). I want something for myself! Is anyone taking anything internally that will ward off a tick?

I think these are dog ticks which are not deadly the way deer ticks are. Still, its horrible to think of these little b's burrowing into the skin
My dog is also on Simparica and it has been better than previous things I've tried in that he eats it without complaint, no side effects and no ticks even while living in the tick-infested Northeast. He's also on Heartguard - we've recently changed vets and the new one has recommended switching to Simparica Trio instead of both Simparica and Heartguard so we'll be doing that soon as the previous doses are about to run out.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:12 PM

155 posts, read 117,955 times
I never had problems with fleas & ticks with our dogs (all ours were small & not hanging outside all the time). But I got into a habit of buying a flea & tick collar. I would cut off the metal clasp & throw the collar part in the vacuum. So if any fell off of a dog, hopefully they would be trapped & die in there. I always checked for them tho.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
My latest discovery is that it takes two people to put flea drops onto Seeker.

I was there with an open applicator in one hand and trying to part the hair with the other hand while he was trying to see what I was doing there on his shoulder blades and he was twisting and wiggling and falling on the ground, trying to see what I was up to.

If I do it again next month, I'll have to get someone to hold him still as I apply the drops.

There is a spray that repels ticks made for horses. That would be safe for dogs because horses have delicate skin and any product made for horses has to be gentle. The stuff repels the ticks so they refuse to get onto the animal. The problem is that one review says you can smell it and that you reapply in a couple of weeks when you can't smell it any more. I'm thinking that smelling bug repellent might not be the best thing for a house dog,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think any of the topical frontlines require the tick bite the dog, but I could be wrong. Frontline gold is Pyriproxyfen, Fipronyl, and Methoprene. Fipronyl should keep the bugs OFF, the bugs don't have to eat it, just come in contact with it IE on their skin. Pyripoxifen is a common ingredient in shampoos, carpet powders, and foggers, it makes sure that any insect larvae/eggs don't develop/hatch, so does methoprene.

Have you had an honest conversation with your vet about your concerns?

I ask because in my (albeit non medical, but heavily researched opinion), you're concerned about the wrong issue. Topicals are notorious for not working. They only stay on for 10 hours max (less if the dog is out doors, in water, whatever). I've never met a vet that was a fan.

On the flip side, while orals allow the bite, it takes days of a live tick bite for there to be disease transmission. And if the bug is killed on contact, there is very little/no risk. Furthermore, you c an vax against lyme if this is a real concern as a second layer.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:55 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
If you have access to the Whole Dog Journal, $ 20 / year, you might be aware that they have a bias toward topical products over pills. They reason that if the dog has a severe reaction the topical can be washed off, but the pill is in their system.

We used Frontline Plus on several dogs in the last 20 years or longer and we never had to deal with fleas yet. Sometimes I do find ticks in the house (wood floors help) and I can't tell if the dog brought it in or they get through the cracks, but I haven't found a tick on the dog yet - 60 lbs Airedale.

If someone has several dogs and cost is an issue, order the largest dose of Frontline and divide it, that isn't rocket science, I've done it when we had Manchesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs