Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 08:09 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,043,127 times

Advertisements

I have an 8yr old Belgian Malinois who normally stays outside during the day when I'm at work. He has a fenced backyard, plenty of water and food, and some big trees full of squirrels to harass. This summer has been brutal so far though with temps pushing 100 a few times with high humidity... And part of me wants to leave him inside on days like that, but he loves his backyard and keeping him in makes me feel guilty. I have no trouble leaving him inside in the winter though for some reason.. (?)

On the other hand I don't want him to suffer in the heat. He usually comes out from under the deck when I get home and I think it's cool for him there.

So what to do... Is he ok outside as long as he goes under the deck? Or should I bring him in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 08:12 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,649,213 times
IMO that is too hot and for too long, especially unsupervised.

I'm not a big fan of unsupervised working dogs (or any dogs for that matter) - for liability reasons, and they just get themselves into trouble. But that's your call.

If these were my shepherds, they'd be kenneled.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:48 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Do you own the house? Is the dog good if left inside? Install a dog door and let the dog decide.

Unless you have a good air conditioner and leave it running, it is probably as cool under the deck as it is in the house.

make sure there is clean fresh water available and you can get into the habit of dropping a block of ice into the water in the morning before you leave for work, to keep the water cold longer.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:51 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Slightly unrelated story. I had two large German Shepherds and a dog door.

A friend warned me that it is unsafe to have a dog door that big because burglars can crawl through the dog door.

I replied that anyone who crawls through a dog door that big deserves whatever they get.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:11 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,081,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Slightly unrelated story. I had two large German Shepherds and a dog door.

A friend warned me that it is unsafe to have a dog door that big because burglars can crawl through the dog door.

I replied that anyone who crawls through a dog door that big deserves whatever they get.
Haha... that's exactly what I've said! In fact even before I had a large dog, I always liked having a large dog door. Because anyone with half a brain would use caution, knowing what size dog MIGHT be on the other side.

Joke's on them, though. My bigger dog is the one who'll just awooo happily as he shows you where I keep everything. He's a husky, lol.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:13 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,081,354 times
And to address OP now... is there a reason you can't have a dog door, thus giving him the freedom to decide for himself? Since we don't have A/C where I live (pretty rare here), my dogs have access to the deck when I'm at work. That way if it's too hot outside, they can come back inside and vice versa. For now the yard access is blocked, since I can't trust my husky not to find a way to escape. But the deck upstairs is nicely shaded, so they spend at least half of their days/nights out there.

And that's regardless of season/weather, but it's fairly mild here year-round.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:16 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,817,009 times
If you leave him in the back yard, have you considered having a fan running on the patio during the day?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-23-2022, 01:55 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,184,248 times
Does he like the water? What about offering water in a plastic kiddie pool in partial shade where he can cool off? "Introduce" him to the pool so he can decide if he likes it. If he never uses it, he may be fine under the deck. I know you mentioned he has squirrels to harass when he's outdoors but exerting himself isn't exactly going to help him stay cooler.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-23-2022 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 08:29 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,043,127 times
Meh.. I got my answer yesterday.

Before I left for work I looked out the kitchen window and saw him on his back with all four legs up in the air rolling around in the grass. Well that settles it, I thought... I can't leave him in when he looks so happy.

But then I came home yesterday evening, opened the door, he came out from under the deck, and went straight into the kitchen to his "inside" water bowl and drank a lot - with big gulps. Then he went into the bathroom and sprawled out on the floor... He always does that when he's hot because the tile is cool and feels good to lay down on.

So I'm pretty sure he'd had a rough day and was happy to get back inside his house. And that's where he'll stay for the rest of the summer... the squirrels will have to wait.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,353,094 times
^^^ You made the right choice. I am with 1200RT all the way on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs