Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 07:59 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,589 times

Advertisements

My dog escaped yesterday, but with the help of Pawboost, and our neighborhood page on Facebook I got him back within a few hours. But I want to get a GPS tracker just to be on the safe side in case it happens again...

Trouble is there seems to be a million different types, and every single one of them have mixed reviews. I'm only looking for a basic, reliable tracker, and am not interested in a Fitbit for dogs that will monitor how much he eats, and how many times he scratches each day..

I expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for it, and I'm aware of a monthly fee for the cell service... No surprises there. But right now all I have to go on is info in the ads online, and the previously mentioned customer reviews which are hit and miss.

So I'll ask here.. does anybody have any first hand experience with these? If so which one did you get? Did it work as expected? Are you/were you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 08:07 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Garmin (or nothing, IMO, in this space). The garmin products are made for working dogs, not pet dogs, and like everything else they make, is build (and priced...) accordingly.

The downside is that they are not trackable anywhere on earth, you'll need a signal to a handheld GPS (or maybe cell phone? not sure). I use mine for hikes and has the added benefit of off leash confidence, however I believe they have non-e collar options.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Garmin (or nothing, IMO, in this space). The garmin products are made for working dogs, not pet dogs, and like everything else they make, is build (and priced...) accordingly.

The downside is that they are not trackable anywhere on earth, you'll need a signal to a handheld GPS (or maybe cell phone? not sure). I use mine for hikes and has the added benefit of off leash confidence, however I believe they have non-e collar options.
Yeah, but if the dog goes out of range of it then it won't help, right?

The ones with the service fee will work anywhere there's a cell phone signal..

Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 AM

Technically, thats correct. However the range is somewhere between 5-9 miles. This isn't directed at you by any means, but if you dont know your dog is missing for that long, its a different discussion. My personal view (just some random guy on the internet) is that if escape is a real possibility, there are probably better things to address through training or fences than messing with a GPS.

Edit - one thing to add to above - these collars are only good if they're on the dog 24/7, which is another concern I'd have. I think they're valuable (which is why I use one off leash in open terrain), however addressing the running away part is more valuable. The one time the collar isnt on the dog is the one time it runs...

Old 01-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Technically, thats correct. However the range is somewhere between 5-9 miles. This isn't directed at you by any means, but if you dont know your dog is missing for that long, its a different discussion. My personal view (just some random guy on the internet) is that if escape is a real possibility, there are probably better things to address through training or fences than messing with a GPS.
No, I'll agree with that - and I was expecting a lecture lol. And we did basic obedience training when he was a puppy, but I'm looking into more because this isn't the first time. Problem is he's curious about things, and yesterday when I came home from work he shot out after something the second I opened the door. Same thing happened before too, so....

Old 01-26-2022, 08:41 AM

No lecture here, i think its a good discussion.

The only thing i'll add is - there is a reason that the real GPS trackers (i.e. working/professional grade) often include some kind of stimulation. They're made to combine and reinforce a solid recall off leash. That comes first. All the other trackers are just gimmicks for pet owners who want to spend too much on their dogs. Again just my view.

One thought, which I saw the other day is an apple air tag collar attachment. Might work for your application.
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Mate-Col...46749610&psc=1

Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
My neighbors have apple air tags on their dogs. Last week one of them took off after a deer and got stuck in a tree well in the snow, they were able to track her and get her out. They aren't nearly as useful as a garmin but will give an extra level of protection if your pup takes off in a neighborhood.

You could also look at a wireless fence but those don't always stop a impulsive dog.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:36 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
My dog escaped yesterday, but with the help of Pawboost, and our neighborhood page on Facebook I got him back within a few hours. But I want to get a GPS tracker just to be on the safe side in case it happens again...

Trouble is there seems to be a million different types, and every single one of them have mixed reviews. I'm only looking for a basic, reliable tracker, and am not interested in a Fitbit for dogs that will monitor how much he eats, and how many times he scratches each day..

I expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for it, and I'm aware of a monthly fee for the cell service... No surprises there. But right now all I have to go on is info in the ads online, and the previously mentioned customer reviews which are hit and miss.

So I'll ask here.. does anybody have any first hand experience with these? If so which one did you get? Did it work as expected? Are you/were you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.
I've owned and used, and REVIEWED (for your reading pleasure!) several brands. And, I've used them long-term, i.e. years, not just for a review period.

Quote:

Yes, that is exactly correct.

Quote:

Edit - one thing to add to above - these collars are only good if they're on the dog 24/7, which is another concern I'd have. I think they're valuable (which is why I use one off leash in open terrain), however addressing the running away part is more valuable. The one time the collar isnt on the dog is the one time it runs...
In my experience, when a company says range is "UP TO" some distance, that is ONLY in perfect circumstances - open fields, line-of-sight, no weather issues that would disrupt radio signal, etc. I haven't used the Garmin tracking models, but I have used other brands using similar technologies, and on a good day I might get half of the "UP TO" distance.

How far and fast a dog runs will depend, to a large degree, on breed. Hounds, for instance, might range long distances quite quickly. Hounds were bred to run and track and trail. Five miles could be covered in less than 15 minutes.

My farmcollies, otoh, don't go more than a half mile from my location before turning around. They'll circle back to check on home base or me, whichever is closer. Other breeds will vary.

I've used GPS units for years. Started because we had a hound who liked to follow her instincts. You can read about my experiences with GPS units on my blog pages here at C-D (this link should get you there).

I'll add a couple of notes.
Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted by the off-brand knockoff units you can find online. GPS needs good support.

While my recommended units do have those "pet" features, like activity tracking - all that jazz, I don't use that stuff. My interest is in knowing WHERE my dogs are. Period. I've been hearing good things about the Apple product, but for just knowing where your dog is, I am VERY skeptical. The Apple units require that the tracking device be near, or pass near, other Apple devices. Both Whistle and Tractive, both of which I can recommend, use your cell phone as the locating device. I suppose this might be an issue if you didn't have a cell phone. My dogs wear theirs 24/7.

I haven't used the Garmin units, but they rely on a dedicated Garmin tracking receiver. As near as I can tell, this uses local radio signals to communicate with the tracking unit. As noted, this method has disadvantages. Technology has advanced over recent years to extend the distance these units can communicate, but tree cover, terrain, etc. are still going to cut that distance.

Which brings me to another point. Do not consider any older devices. The applied technology in these devices has advanced massively over the past decade or two.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
but they rely on a dedicated Garmin tracking receiver. As near as I can tell, this uses local radio signals to communicate with the tracking unit. As noted, this method has disadvantages. Technology has advanced over recent years to extend the distance these units can communicate, but tree cover, terrain, etc. are still going to cut that distance.

Which brings me to another point. Do not consider any older devices. The applied technology in these devices has advanced massively over the past decade or two.
tractive use cell service. Useless if you're in areas with no cell coverage. I'm sure it works great. But to make the claim that "technology has advanced" is not completely accurate

Old 01-27-2022, 01:01 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:

Garmin products (expensive) have ranges of miles. 9 for the bigger collar, 4 for the smaller one.

But you have to have the collar on the dog and on before you let it out. Battery life is a day or so. I run them on my dogs. But they're bird dogs and its really nice peace of mind, and convenient when I can't see them but know they're close (in thick woods.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs