Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
tractive use cell service. Useless if you're in areas with no cell coverage. I'm sure it works great. But to make the claim that "technology has advanced" is not completely accurate
That is why I specified "applied" technology. The technologies have indeed advanced, but not all of them. What has advanced? Batteries, battery controls to extend battery life, GPS signals and receiving technology - have all advanced - and not just a little. However, the old Loc8tor units could do everything the current Whistle and Tractive units do, plus a few more features that I liked, such as the ability to control reporting frequency. But their UI was PC and Windows only, wouldn't work on Android or Apple - at least not without an emulator, and I've never tried to go there in Android. And their GPS unit was larger, and less waterproof. So, some of the technology, like a good UI that used something like Google maps, hasn't advanced as much as its application to dog tracking units has.

And yes, Tractive, and Whistle, and Google Fi all use cell phone service, as do others. That technology offers the best tracking-only option on the market today. IF you're in an area with no cell coverage - the GPS unit is still tracking - but your UI (the app) on the phone won't know where. As soon as the dog gets back into cell coverage, your tracking app will be able to "talk" to the dog's unit once again. Given the coverage maps of cell-phones these days, it's a bit hard to be in an area that is completely without. But, yeah, sure, if you're in the middle of mountain wilderness in Montana, or deep in the northern forests of Maine, that might be an issue. Cell phone coverage is not so much a technology that has advanced over the past 20 years, but the application of it has, very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 10:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Reopening this useful thread
Our daughter’s dog is one that loves to run when he gets out or slips a leash
Did it this week going under a chain link fence after a rabbit
Thinking about getting them a unit for Mother/Father’s Day
He is in suburban neighborhood with decent cell coverage but also close to open sections of land
I thought about Air Tracker but they have Samsung phones

Fi seems better to me
But you recommended Tractive
Chewy reviews are not good—charging battery seems problematic among other issues

Old 05-07-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
He is in suburban neighborhood with decent cell coverage but also close to open sections of land

Fi seems better to me
Chewy reviews are not good—charging battery seems problematic among other issues
At this point I've had, IIRC, 6 Tractive units. No, maybe 5. I've got 3 currently in use. One was a model that was a few years older, and Tractive recently replaced for free because it used a cell technology that has become obsolete. Like 2G? or 3G? I don't know.

I did have a neighbor who bought a couple of Tractive units, and had issues getting them to connect properly. I've never had such issues, so all I can do is pass that tidbit on. I've also had 3 Whistle units, but now have 0 in service. I had one older style, and two of the current model. The 1st current model Whistle I had was replaced on a warranty issue. However, I later lost that unit. It was low on battery when it was lost, so it was never found.

Tractive has been switching their units over to a battery-saving scheme. When the units are close to "Home", and "Home" wifi is available, they go to sleep to save battery. It helps. The current Whistle product uses the same sort of battery-saving scheme. I will say this, the new-model Whistle I had did have better battery life than the Tractive units, by a few days. I have to charge my Tractives a little more often than once a week. About every 5-6 days.

I have never tried the Fi, but from Google's blurbs about it, it would appear to be competitively equivalent to the current Tractive and Whistle units. Ultimately, even if we are trying to be frugal, we aren't talking a whole lot of money invested to get a year's service. So, if you get the Fi, and down the road want to try a different product, it won't be a big deal, yeah? For me, trying a different brand at this point would be less likely because of it would take up my time and effort, not because a couple hundred is going to break the bank.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:28 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

Fi seems better to me
OP here..

I got the Fi and am very happy with it. Set up was easy, and to test it out I had my GF take the dog and just go *somewhere* then let me know when they were ready. And the app showed their exact location pinpointed on the map and I was able to go straight to them. She was able to download the app too and we actually took turns playing with it one day... Take the dog somewhere, the other one finds them - rinse and repeat. It was actually kinda fun lol.

Battery life was one of my concerns too, but the Fi stays charged for well over a month. There's a battery indicator on the app that lets you know the battery strength, so there's no guess work.

And it's actually a pretty nice collar.. They come in different colors and I got the blue one. The GPS module is thin and you'd never know what it was.

And the ~$100 price tag is a small price to pay for the peace of mind it's given me too. Very happy with it and just wish I had thought of it sooner.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:53 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,375,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
OP here..

I got the Fi and am very happy with it. Set up was easy, and to test it out I had my GF take the dog and just go *somewhere* then let me know when they were ready. And the app showed their exact location pinpointed on the map and I was able to go straight to them. She was able to download the app too and we actually took turns playing with it one day... Take the dog somewhere, the other one finds them - rinse and repeat. It was actually kinda fun lol.

Battery life was one of my concerns too, but the Fi stays charged for well over a month. There's a battery indicator on the app that lets you know the battery strength, so there's no guess work.

And it's actually a pretty nice collar.. They come in different colors and I got the blue one. The GPS module is thin and you'd never know what it was.

And the ~$100 price tag is a small price to pay for the peace of mind it's given me too. Very happy with it and just wish I had thought of it sooner.

Great report! Thank you very much for coming back to let us know.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
OP here..

I got the Fi and am very happy with it. . . .
Battery life was one of my concerns too, but the Fi stays charged for well over a month. . . .
I'll second the thanks for getting back and adding this review for a Fi!

Old 05-12-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Great report! Thank you very much for coming back to let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'll second the thanks for getting back and adding this review for a Fi!
You're welcome!

Old 05-19-2022, 04:53 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,498,032 times
Quote:
OP here..

Thanks for the update! VERY much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Thanks for the update! VERY much appreciated.
You're welcome!

BTW I forgot to mention how you get a text whenever the dog leaves home. He hasn't escaped, and I haven't actually had to use it yet, but once a week or so my GF will take him with her to visit her parents, and within 30 seconds of them pulling out of the driveway I get the notification. And maybe other collars do that too, I don't know - but to me that is a very nice feature.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:09 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
My dog's rescue organization gave me a Fi collar + one-year subscription when I adopted him; he's a husky, so I guess they figured it was a good idea. lol

The battery life on his SUCKS, though. I'm charging it every 3-5 days! So I am thinking of replacing it, as they're offering a discount if you upgrade to series 2. Is that the one you have?

Quote:
You know there are tons of Fi-compatible collars that are way cuter, right? They have links on the website to a number of different brands. I chose this one for my pup... it's really good quality, and they have a bunch of other compatible designs: https://cycledog.com/product/fi-comp...et-dog-collar/

(yeah, it's expensive; but worth it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs