Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:18 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread, but this kind of sickens me.

Many discussions on human reproduction, breeding rights, and 'eugenics', as we call it. Only applies to humans?

So many beautiful animals sitting in shelters that will make great pets. Their noses, hearts, knees, and eyes are "ok". They are already here.

Think about this.

Think about this... plenty of us with purebred animals also have or have had pound puppies or rescues.
My three Cavaliers are now 4, 3, and 1 year old.
Attached Thumbnails
Pretty sure this is the dog…-20230514_082709.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 12:43 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
So many beautiful animals sitting in shelters that will make great pets. Their noses, hearts, knees, and eyes are "ok". They are already here..............
Pound puppies can make good pets, but if people are going to add a dog to their family and love it for 14-16 years, they should be able to pick the dog they want and not have to have the dog that Heavymind picks for them or insists is the only one they can have.

Not all people want a pitbull mix or a medium size black mongrel with a white spot on his chest.

Different breeds have been developed for different purposes. If a family knows what they want a dog to do for the family, then they can go and get a dog of a breed that is well known for doing that particular behavior.

You do know that you are supporting the careless pet owner, the one who will not spay or neuter, the one who lets their female get bred by whatever male is running loose and then won't take care of the puppies.

You are coming around on the internet and loudly proclaiming, "go ahead because I will come along behind you and clean up your mess and make sure all your oops puppies are OK so you don't have to worry or take responsibility for them"

Old 01-23-2024, 05:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Additionally...reputable breeders aren't the root cause of dogs ending up in shelters. The real culprit in a big picture way, probably even more so than irresponsible pet owners who allow their pets to breed indiscriminately, is puppy mills. People who buy from reputable breeders aren't the ones making impulse purchases, and most breeders require you to agree to return the animal if things somehow don't work out. Not so with puppy mills.

I regularly checked with area shelters for about a year when I decided it was time for another dog, but the available dogs that would have been suitable for my home were extremely few and far between and always had multiple applicants.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:34 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not all people want a pitbull mix or a medium size black mongrel with a white spot on his chest.

Different breeds have been developed for different purposes. If a family knows what they want a dog to do for the family, then they can go and get a dog of a breed that is well known for doing that particular behavior.
So, eugenics? Society is fine with selective breeding for animals, lest they end up with something that isn't the perfect size/color/whatever, but when it comes to humans it's forbidden and demonized. You get what you get and that's it.

Quote:
Pound puppies can make good pets, but if people are going to add a dog to their family and love it for 14-16 years, they should be able to pick the dog they want and not have to have the dog that Heavymind picks for them or insists is the only one they can have.
They should? You just made an excellent case for human eugenics, and with this shallow level of thinking I don't think it would be difficult at all to sway the population into accepting such a program, should it come into practice again by a forthcoming regime.

Shakin' my head...

Old 01-23-2024, 08:46 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I agree. Get the dog you want, that suits your lifestyle. Far too many people get conned in to taking a pound dog that they are not equipped to handle and then guilted in to keeping that dog.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Jesus, all I wanted to do, was update my dog's progress, on stuff. (Yeah, I was boasting.)

Old 01-24-2024, 05:54 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Jesus, all I wanted to do, was update my dog's progress, on stuff. (Yeah, I was boasting.)

Old 01-26-2024, 09:32 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Thanks for the update! Beautiful pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs