Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:59 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
The only fencing I’ve ever used was electric horse fence with a wire and current running through. Strong enough to make 1000 pound horses stay away. Invisible electric fencing sounds like a gimmick to me. What I recommend for the OP is the same electric horse fencing, it worked very well for my 120 pound wolf hybrid and it should work just as well for her dogs.
Some people swear by the invisible fence. Of course you have to bury the wire, the dog wears a shock collar and still has to be trained to understand the zap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 02:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some people swear by the invisible fence. Of course you have to bury the wire, the dog wears a shock collar and still has to be trained to understand the zap.
I can see trying something like that if you live in the city, and want to keep a fenceless yard. I don’t know, a fenced yard seems less trouble.

It sounds like OP needs something quick and effective. Electric wire horse fence directly in front of the bottom and on top of her dog fence should do it. Also, I think a horse fence is much more humane than repeatedly zapping a dog to train them. Animals quickly learn respect for an electric fence. I was visiting a horse friend and accidently put my hand on their electric fence. The feeling is unpleasant but not painful. Just enough to remind you it’s there.

Last edited by Taz22; 12-02-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 03:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
The dogs you have are not yard dogs. They need training and activities WITH YOU, not to just be let loose on 5 acres. If you wanted convenient dogs, these were not the dogs to get. Until you figure out the fence situation, the dogs must not be out unsupervised.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 3,390 times
You have all been more helpful then you can imagine. Ive moved out awhile ago but the dogs are my parents so ill give them every bit of all this information. We have never heard about coyote rollers so thats extremely helpful and will most definitely be used.

( i typed the whole story 5 different times and then my phone glitches and deletes everthing so ill update it later when i get back to my computer)

Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwalf98 View Post
You have all been more helpful then you can imagine. Ive moved out awhile ago but the dogs are my parents so ill give them every bit of all this information. We have never heard about coyote rollers so thats extremely helpful and will most definitely be used.

( i typed the whole story 5 different times and then my phone glitches and deletes everthing so ill update it later when i get back to my computer)
https://coloradocoyoterollers.com

Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 PM

12 posts, read 8,358 times
How aout buildind fence or put your dog inside?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
An invisible fence makes no difference to beagles. Shock or no shock, when they pick up a scent, they are off. I have a 40x40 foot fenced in area on my one acre. The interior perimeter of the fence has landscaping fabric with slates top so my beagles can not dig their way out.

My neighbor's dog got loose in a snowstorm. It was the coldest temperatures in a decade and the poor dog was probably disoriented and frozen to death. With her next dog, a samoyed, she installed a invisible fence which seems to work.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:58 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Thanks. We have coyotes. I will look into this.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 3,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HShiroma View Post
How aout buildind fence or put your dog inside?
They do have a fence, its 9 courses of 6×8×16 cinder block around the back yard, they also have a steel pipe fence around the 5 acres doubled next to a barbwire fence that was built before they bought the lot.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
how about someone building a kennel where they cannot get out by themselves and in the meantime keep a muzzle on them so they don't or cant attack any livestock . I would have been livid as well . I have been on the other end of the spectrum some neighbors dog killed a couple of our chickens and ducks and my mother was heartbroken of course the neighbor was apologetic but my father told them to pay for the livestock or else he was going to call the police or sheriff . The wife took an attitude and told my father he had no right to ask for re payment for a blasted chicken or duck . The husband however told my dad to add it up and he would pay he did and my dad dropped it after that . Op you are lucky they are not asking for re payment for the dead and or damaged livestock . Op you should offer to pay them back for the dead livestock .Please for your sake and the sake of your dogs get someone to build you a kennel or keep them inside and muzzle them in the meantime .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs