Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times

Advertisements

You have an obligation to keep your animals on your property. You've been given good advice and ideas, I hope you follow through, for the dogs' sake.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:23 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You have an obligation to keep your animals on your property. You've been given good advice and ideas, I hope you follow through, for the dogs' sake.
I totally agree. I don't care what excuse anyone has. If my dog gets out, it will happen one time and one time only. I will do everything in my power to see to it that my dog doesn't get out again. Make it happen.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,512,303 times
I live in a rural area too so maybe I should share these two dog related tragedies that happened in the last month around here. Chasing livestock is just one problem. OP understands why neighbors are upset at least. Many of my neighbors have 1-5 acre lots too.

In rural areas like this kids wait outside for the school bus. A dog was loose and scared some kids at a school bus stop and nipped one. Not an attack or anything but any bite is taken seriously and the dog was put down by ACO's that day. We have all heard the about irresponsible drivers not slowing down near school bus stops. Parents are going to go ballistic about loose dogs around their kids too. If a husky and black shepherd would approach their kids it doesn't matter if they are friendly. You already have reports that neighbors are stating they are looking in windows.

Second incident was a lady who had two huskies (lived in a semi rural area) that were house dogs and slipped out one day. She immediately posted on a public facebook page. It was so sad as people were able to read the posts in real time. One was hit by a vehicle and killed within an hour of post. Another was hit about 2 hours later and people responded to FB post and owner got it to vet where it died that day. So sad to lose two pets like this. Owner was despondent and it was apparently a momentary lapse. Please take tragedies like this seriously before something bad happens to your dogs.

Last edited by motownnative; 12-02-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 11:39 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,135,729 times
I hope nothing bad happens to your dogs, this is not to end well if they aren’t confined. Your story reminds me of when I had a wolf hybrid. He was part Arctic, just a magnificent looking animal, but an escape artist. He kept digging out from under his pen and running through the farm area nearby. I was terrified that some crazy neighbor would shoot him.

I was advised by a wolf friend to use electric fencing and it worked, he never escaped again. Put the electric fencing directly in front of where they are digging out and if they climb, use another layer up on top. Get a strong enough current that it will bite them. After a try or two, they’ll leave it alone and it’s better by far than what is waiting to happen.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM

45,464 posts, read 60,680,465 times
One thing about some of the suggestions like shock collars is that you still have to train the dog to stop, or whatever, when he's zapped. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen with shock collars on their hunting dogs zapping the living **** out of them and the dog still won't do what is wanted. That's because the dog was never taught what the shock meant.

That invisible electric fence is the same thing.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I was terrified that some crazy neighbor would shoot him.
It's not a crazy neighbor when they are protecting their livestock. Once is an accident but if a dog attacked and killed my goats and chickens I would shoot him. And I love dogs.

Your wolf hybrid sounds beautiful

Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It's not a crazy neighbor when they are protecting their livestock. Once is an accident but if a dog attacked and killed my goats and chickens I would shoot him. And I love dogs.

Your wolf hybrid sounds beautiful
You’re right, if a farmer killed one of my dogs, he is protecting his livelihood and who can blame him. It would be my fault, not the farmers. But this was in rural Texas and there were a bunch of trigger happy yahoos, in addition to cattle farmers. I knew how easily he could have got shot.

Yes thanks, an amazing animal. Once, I boarded him at the vet and he escaped. I heard the entire office was chasing him down. The vet told me he looked like a beautiful wild wolf running down the street. Knowing the amount of traffic in North Scottsdale, that story didn’t make me feel any better, although they eventually rounded him up.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

That invisible electric fence is the same thing.
Who said anything about invisible electric fence? I’m talking serious horse and cattle wire electric fence. In this case, it’s what is needed if she wants to keep her dogs around.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM

45,464 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Who said anything about invisible electric fence? I’m talking serious horse and cattle wire electric fence. In this case, it’s what is needed if she wants to keep her dogs around.
I was using that as an example. I doubt your fence would even be adequate for these dogs.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I was using that as an example. I doubt your fence would even be adequate for these dogs.
The only fencing I’ve ever used was electric horse fence with a wire and current running through. Strong enough to make 1000 pound horses stay away. Invisible electric fencing sounds like a gimmick to me. What I recommend for the OP is the same electric horse fencing, it worked very well for my 120 pound wolf hybrid and it should work just as well for her dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs