Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, it's just being practical — kind of like how you'd avoid driving in neighborhoods with lots of bars on New Year's Eve or after a Duck's game because of the possibility of drunk drivers. There are too many idiots out there for the authorities to police them all, so individuals have to be proactive. Saying that the complex management isn't going to patrol this place to make sure everyone has their dogs on leashes is just common sense, because they aren't.

I really, really dislike other dogs coming up to my Pomeranian. I don't live in a "complex," but I do live in a residential neighborhood where everyone seems to have dogs. I see the same people out every day, and it hasn't been difficult at all to let them know that their dogs are not to come running up to mine. The first time I see someone grin like an idiot and say, "don't worry, he's friendly" while their off leash dog is headed toward mine, I pick up my Pomeranian and tell the person to get their dog under control — and then it's not a problem with that person anymore. I guess I just live in a more intelligent community.
It's not "practical". I've lived all over these United States. I have met idiots in Seattle, in Texas, in North Carolina, in Florida, in Maine, and now in California, when it comes to dogs. Complete and utter morons. Telling me to "move" does not solve the issue of idiots thinking they don't have to leash their dog because they know better than anyone else - despite the fact that every last one of these morons has a dog that doesn't listen to them when their dog comes barrelling down the sidewalk towards my dogs. It has happened in the 3 states I've lived in since I've had my dogs, it happened in Seattle when I had a different dog, and I've seen it happen in other places I've lived.

"Move" does not solve the problem.

Had I the money to live on a plot of land, way out in the woods away from people, preferably in Alaska...and since you've lived there, I'm sure you've seen your share of morons there, too...I would have done that by now, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. In the meantime, regardless of where I live, the attitude of, "well, there's nothing we can do about it" is defeatist, and does not help anyone who has a dog, including the people too stupid to understand dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:16 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
It's also not practical to expect the complex management to police the place 24/7 because a dog might run up to yours. It's not practical to expect the idiots to suddenly change, because they won't. You seem to have a lot of problems with people, and a "complex" in California probably isn't the best environment for you.

Yeah, I'm aware that you can't afford Alaska. Maybe that's what's behind your visits to that forum that are seemly for the sole purpose of leveling out-ot-the-blue personal attacks.

If you did live there, though, "on a plot of land in the woods away from people," you'd have a lot more to worry about concerning your dog's safety than other unleashed dogs. People like to romanticize that lifestyle, but it's actually a lot more dangerous for domestic pets than living in a city complex.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-07-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
As stated many times here telling people with a reactive dog to move is not the answer as there really is nowhere you can go to escape this issue.

When Jazz was alive despite leash laws here and they do get enforced as I have heard many complain about the high fine but then are right back out there walking the dog off leash I was unable to find anyplace in this town where we did not run into off leash dogs. There is just no escaping them. Places that have multiple signs saying no off leash dogs still have many off leash dogs as animal control can not be everywhere 24/7. I do not mind a dog that walks at its owners side off leash and obeys the owner but that seems rare the majority of these off leash dogs do not listen to the owner and are often at quite a distance from them . Often the owner is not paying attention to them either. I also do not mind off leash dogs when
the owner leashes them around other dogs and people with out being asked too.

Bassetluv hit the issue right on the head people seem to have a sense of entitlement not just to their dogs being off leash but to many things in life. That usually makes them selfish rude people and I do not know how you change that but it is sad to seeing that becoming the norm in our society. So for now all I can hope is that one day these people get a reactive dog or a service dog or maybe their own dog as it ages develops pain and does not want other dogs in its face. All reasons one may not want off leash dogs getting in their dogs face as that seems to be the only way they will learn. And to most people that think they have a well behaved dog you know that dog that is racing towards another dog, cat , person and ignores you when you call it think again. . Some people live a very delusional life as one can quickly see when one walks a reactive dog or other dog that needs space for reasons I mentioned. I mean count how many times the owner says " sorry my dog never does this" Do they really think you believe them?

This situation is one reason I will always teach my dogs bite inhibition as to me that is one of the most important things a dog can learn and for other reasons too.

If you are a person with the friendly off leash dog that has to get in other dogs faces , do you not feel that others walking their dogs should be allowed to enjoy a quiet peaceful walk with their dog rather then a stressful walk always being watchful for your dog so they can take action to avoid your social butterfly?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 PM

^ The point is is that it's unrealistic to expect human nature to change and that there's a lot of annoyances that come with living in a densely populated location. It's less likely to be an issue in some places than in others.

Children running up to my dog while their vapid-faced parents smile indulgently is a huge pet peeve of mine, probably even more so than when other dogs do it. I sometimes wonder how many of these tragic situations involving small children being maimed or killed by dogs would be prevented if parents could be bothered to teach their children not to behave this way.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-07-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
I do feel like, if your dog is likely to fight, even on leash, then you shouldn't be walking hem in the neighborhood. You never know if another dog or a kid or an old lady is going to walk up

Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,908 times
Not only is it the LAW that dogs be leashed, where the OP lives... it SHOULD be common courtesy to not allow your dog to run up to other dogs and/or people.

Stop blaming the victim. Sheeesh!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I do feel like, if your dog is likely to fight, even on leash, then you shouldn't be walking hem in the neighborhood. You never know if another dog or a kid or an old lady is going to walk up
I hope you do realize that most reactive dogs react like they want to fight when in reality it is fear and they are trying to frighten your rude dog so it stays away. They really do not want to fight they want your dog to back off and leave them alone as unlike your free running dog they are restrained by a leash so can not flee. I am sure you have heard of the flight or fight response well that is what is happening. They tend not to be aggressive dogs they are fearful and there is a big difference there.

They have every right to be walked in a neighborhood by their owners and not be molested by other dogs or people. I know where I live if your leash free dog gets in a leashed dogs face and that dog reacts by biting your dog you are the responsible person as you are the one breaking the law by having your dog off leash. A little side note if your leased dog runs into the road and cases a car accident which can happen when someone swerves to avoid your dog that you are responsible for the accident.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's also not practical to expect the complex management to police the place 24/7 because a dog might run up to yours. It's not practical to expect the idiots to suddenly change, because they won't. You seem to have a lot of problems with people, and a "complex" in California probably isn't the best environment for you.

Yeah, I'm aware that you can't afford Alaska. Maybe that's what's behind your visits to that forum that are seemly for the sole purpose of leveling out-ot-the-blue personal attacks.

If you did live there, though, "on a plot of land in the woods away from people," you'd have a lot more to worry about concerning your dog's safety than other unleashed dogs. People like to romanticize that lifestyle, but it's actually a lot more dangerous for domestic pets than living in a city complex.
Ah, so it comes clear. You're here to bash because you have a personal problem with me. Too bad. The law states that dogs must be on leash. The complex has a rule that dogs must be on leash. I don't rightly give two figs if you like that or not, and I will continue to inform the complex when idiots walk around here with their dogs off leash.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My dog doesn't react badly towards people. But I still warn kids never to run up to a strange dog, since it's clear their idiotic parents haven't taught them that. I will allow the child to come up to my dog, slowly and calmly, and pet the dog UNDER the chin.

As for other dogs, my dog is going to protect himself when he sees another dog come barrelling towards him.

What would you do if some human came running up to you, screaming loudly? You're just going to stand there and extend your hand for a shake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I hope you do realize that most reactive dogs react like they want to fight when in reality it is fear and they are trying to frighten your rude dog so it stays away. They really do not want to fight they want your dog to back off and leave them alone as unlike your free running dog they are restrained by a leash so can not flee. I am sure you have heard of the flight or fight response well that is what is happening. They tend not to be aggressive dogs they are fearful and there is a big difference there.

They have every right to be walked in a neighborhood by their owners and not be molested by other dogs or people. I know where I live if your leash free dog gets in a leashed dogs face and that dog reacts by biting your dog you are the responsible person as you are the one breaking the law by having your dog off leash. A little side note if your leased dog runs into the road and cases a car accident which can happen when someone swerves to avoid your dog that you are responsible for the accident.

This is correct. If my dog truly wanted a fight, he would have broken skin and torn some dogs apart. The last dog that charged at him was a little dog, and as he does when dogs get in his face, he makes himself bigger, puts his paws on top of them, and mouths them. He has never broken skin. (Although, it's only a matter of time before that happens - because a dog is only going to take so much.) A dog will break skin if they want to, easily. He is defending himself against the other dog, trying to scare it off - that is exactly what it is. I do my best to put him behind me and face the other dog down, have done it before, but when the dog is running in circles around both of us, that's not that easy. At one time, I actually picked up my 47 pound dog. The owner of the other dog laughed and thought I was scared my dog was going to get bit. I told the idiot that no, I was protecting his dog since he was too stupid to do it himself.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ah, so it comes clear. You're here to bash because you have a personal problem with me. Too bad. The law states that dogs must be on leash. The complex has a rule that dogs must be on leash. I don't rightly give two figs if you like that or not, and I will continue to inform the complex when idiots walk around here with their dogs off leash.
Not really, and I wasn't "bashing" — especially since I deal with this issue myself and agree that the majority of the human race is comprised of idiots. Too many people are getting dogs these days as some sort of lifestyle accessory who lack the animal handling skills to keep them under control. I live within a mile of a beautiful beach yet don't take my dog down there — guess why.

Sure, continue informing the complex management — I would too, but I wouldn't expect it to change much. The cops and animal control aren't going to be much help, either, but you know this as well. Get some pepper spray and learn how to use it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-07-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs