Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Though they are nice dogs, we don't particularly enjoy them pooping in our yard.

I had a neighbor like that once. We both had about 10 acres of property but she always let her "bigger" dog run free and he loved pooping in my yard. I got fed up with it. One morning I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and a shovel, scooped his poo and threw it back into her yard. It was very satisfying when her grown son stepped in dog poo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 03:03 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,531 times
I thought this was going to be a thread about all of the people we see on this forum who shell out big bucks for a fancy breed only to realize that the dog doesn't fit their lifestyle-- "oh that border collie likes to HERD things? Nips at people? I just thought it was cute. REHOME!" or "Oh that bully mix is strong and can be stubborn! REHOME!" A test in those circumstances might be a good idea. As for manners on the leash (or off the leash) I see that as an offshoot of the same problem of delusional thinking when it comes to getting a dog.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:39 PM

30,287 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Some people are morons when it comes to dogs. They think they are above the laws and don't need to leash their dogs. They think they are somehow special and better than anyone else. I do get a little bit of pleasure when these people end up paying for hospital bills and vet bills when their dog does harm to another person or animal.
No judge is going to side with an irresponsible owner who breaks laws and doesn't leash or contain their dogs. I used to carry a stun gun shaped like a baton so if I were approached by an unfriendly loose dog that started a fight with my leashed dog that loose dog would get zapped and run with it's tail between it's legs. I called the city I live in to see if that was legal and they said it was and I had every right to defend myself and my own dog against an unleashed dog.
This is exactly what I'm going to do. I don't know what this city would allow regarding mace or other objects that could be construed as "weapons" since I'm in CA - who knows with this state, but maybe the city has some sense. I'm going to ask them about the lists some have created of the things I could carry.

I don't want to have to hurt another dog because the owner is a moron, but yes, my dog comes first. We have already been tested on that in the past. I was walking down the sidewalk one day, when a dog that was in his own yard, unleashed, untethered, unsupervised, came flying out of the yard trying to attack us, (me and my boy dog). I backed into the street, in the middle of the dang street, to put some distance between us. That dog stood at the edge of the sidewalk, the public sidewalk, yelling its dog obscenities at us. It then took a few steps forward, so I called its bluff. I had already put my dog behind me, and took a very hard step forward, said in the deepest voice I could muster for it to "back the (....) off! NOW!" The dog stood there for a minute, reading me. I was scared to death, but I was also pi$$ed. Apparently, the dog decided that wasn't a good combination to mess with and retreated back to the public side walk to continue yelling at us. I stood my ground, even while a car had come up the street and was stopped as I was in the middle of it. I wanted to make sure that dog went all the way back in his yard. Eventually, he did go back, and then I was able to turn my back on him and get us to the other side of the street. So yes, I'll protect my dog, but the point is, I, nor anyone else, should ever have to be put in that situation in the first place.

I like the idea of spraying something at the dog that will repel it AND mark it at the same time. If that's legal here, I'm fricken doing it. Let's see what the idiots have to say after that.

As for my boy dog, he has gone through intensive training because of his dislike of other dogs. However, the more that other strange dogs come flying up to him to start something, the less that training works. We had just gotten to a point where he could walk next to another dog with a chain link fence between them, and not have him lose his mind. We were making progress...to the one on here who assumes I've not done any type of training on my dog. But since then, we've had multiple incidents of other dogs coming up to my boy, or coming into the yard and harassing my dogs through the window...at one point, I believed my dog was going to break the window. The maintenance people were nearby so I asked them to help get the off leash dog (no owner in site) away from my apartment before my dog completely shattered the large picture window at the front of my place.

That's the problem around here: Typically, when another dog comes up to mine, there's no owner in site. They are in their home, in their apartment, who knows where, but they come flying out of nowhere once they hear their dog barking and then hear my boy barking and going berserk. Oh, now you can pay attention to your dog? As was illustrated yesterday, Mr. "My Dog Is Licensed Not To Be On A Leash" (no such thing, it was not a service dog at all), had zero control over his own dog. The dog followed me - not in a mean way, and idiot couldn't get his own dog to listen to him. I guess his dog knows stupid and wanted a new home away from that.

And as many have said, it. does. not. matter. if your dog is "friendly". I don't care if your dog just wants to "say hi", my dog doesn't want a thing to do with your dog. My girl dog loves other dogs, but I still don't want a strange dog to come flying up to her. It's disrespectful not just to me, it's disrespectful to the dogs, both of them, mine and theirs. That is not how you introduce dogs. The introduction of dogs must be in a controlled environment, not randomly on the street - even if you know the owner. Every time I hear some clown shoe tell me that "it's okay, he's friendly", I think, "oh look, another twit who knows nothing about dogs".

There's thousands of them out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
When Jazz and I did agility there was a woman in the club that gave me a lot of grief about Jazz being a reactive dog as she liked to let her dogs run around leash free when they were supposed to be on leash. Well Karma is a real B##ch as her 2nd border collie turned out to be a reactive dog and unlike Jazz he did not have an inhibited bite.

Sorry to say seeing her with a reactive dog put a smile on my face as many people just will not learn until they too are blessed with such a dog. And yes I do mean blessed as you learn a lot about dogs when you own a reactive dog, maybe every owner should have to have one as a first dog then they would get it.

Many reactive dogs are fearful dogs not aggressive dogs and they act out when their space is invaded not because they want to fight but to try to frighten the other dog away. Many of them are well trained and do not react until that threshold has been crossed by the other dog. Jazz could be in huge crowds of dogs and do fine unless an unknown dog got in her face. She would warn it with a snarl and loud growl but too often the dogs do not get it and did not back off then she would erupt in an angry outburst. Once amped up by that the brain is swimming in" fight" chemicals so it takes less to set the dog off again. So when you let your rude dog get in a reactive dogs face you may have just ruined someone else's nice peaceful walk with their dog but hey your dog is friendly and you are a selfish person!

And for people that say despite leash laws no one does anything when they see a leash free dog...my question is to the owner of the leash free dog. What ever happened to doing the right thing despite not being punished if you do not? My parents raised me to do the right thing EVEN IF no one is watching. Allowing your dog to get in an unknow dogs face is not the right thing and actually in the dog world face to face meetings are rude, so yeah your dog is rude, and my dog has a right to let it know so.

I think a real eye opening for people in my agility club who really did not understand a reactive dog but knew Jazz was such and they should keep their dogs out of her face came one day we were at practice. The park is one that allows off leash dogs if you buy a special tag ( so you pay for that privilege). We were waiting our turn when suddenly 3 small Yorkies came running over their owner still at a distance. They made a beeline to Jazz which had everyone freaked out but when they got close rather then erupt she whined and wiggled in delight. They were 3 dogs she knew and had played with but had not seen for years so it was a major love fest. People were shocked to see that she could and did get along with other dogs as they seemed to think she was some aggressive beast, nope she just did not like dogs she did not know in her face as she was afraid.

For those that just can not leash their dog when you see an owner with a leashed dog trying to distract their leashed dog as your dog approaches, or stepping off the path, or turning another direction how about calling your dog back to you after all so many of you claim your dog has a good recall so lets see it instead of allowing it to run up to that dog? The things I listed are usually signs of someone not wanting your dog in their dogs face so pay attention and call you dog back leash it or keep it at your side.
The bolded: It is so true. I don't think truer words have ever been spoken when talking about dogs. You have no choice but to learn so much about dogs when you have a reactive dog or your life will be a total mess with that dog. You have to learn for the dog's sake and your own...and of course, other dogs. This should be posted on billboards, in and around pet shelters, pounds, animal rescues, etc. People have no damn clue what they're talking about when it comes to reactive dogs unless they've had a reactive dog. It never stops them from putting in their two worthless cents, however.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-26-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,512,624 times
What about using a camera phone when you are walking? I know when these things happen you have to act fast and don't always have the luxury to turn it on. However, Go Pro cameras are hands free and many can record at night. I believe there is a night vision app for I-phones too.

The vicious dog ordinance in my area was recently updated and the dog leaving his yard and charging us aggressively on a public road would definitely have been covered. Similar thing happened to you. My only witness was the young boy in the family and as stated I tried to work it out as I know them.

If you have to use a stun gun or mace for even a non aggressive dog that is unleashed and approaching you should be well within your rights to do so. Most areas of the country have leash laws meant for ALL dogs. If there is any doubt a recording of the incident will definitely protect you. Not necessary IMO but an option if you are concerned about protecting yourself.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 PM

17,350 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is exactly what I'm going to do. I don't know what this city would allow regarding mace or other objects that could be construed as "weapons" since I'm in CA - who knows with this state, but maybe the city has some sense. I'm going to ask them about the lists some have created of the things I could carry.

I don't want to have to hurt another dog because the owner is a moron, but yes, my dog comes first. We have already been tested on that in the past. I was walking down the sidewalk one day, when a dog that was in his own yard, unleashed, untethered, unsupervised, came flying out of the yard trying to attack us, (me and my boy dog). I backed into the street, in the middle of the dang street, to put some distance between us. That dog stood at the edge of the sidewalk, the public sidewalk, yelling its dog obscenities at us. It then took a few steps forward, so I called its bluff. I had already put my dog behind me, and took a very hard step forward, said in the deepest voice I could muster for it to "back the (....) off! NOW!" The dog stood there for a minute, reading me. I was scared to death, but I was also pi$$ed. Apparently, the dog decided that wasn't a good combination to mess with and retreated back to the public side walk to continue yelling at us. I stood my ground, even while a car had come up the street and was stopped as I was in the middle of it. I wanted to make sure that dog went all the way back in his yard. Eventually, he did go back, and then I was able to turn my back on him and get us to the other side of the street. So yes, I'll protect my dog, but the point is, I, nor anyone else, should ever have to be put in that situation in the first place.

I like the idea of spraying something at the dog that will repel it AND mark it at the same time. If that's legal here, I'm fricken doing it. Let's see what the idiots have to say after that.

As for my boy dog, he has gone through intensive training because of his dislike of other dogs. However, the more that other strange dogs come flying up to him to start something, the less that training works. We had just gotten to a point where he could walk next to another dog with a chain link fence between them, and not have him lose his mind. We were making progress...to the one on here who assumes I've not done any type of training on my dog. But since then, we've had multiple incidents of other dogs coming up to my boy, or coming into the yard and harassing my dogs through the window...at one point, I believed my dog was going to break the window. The maintenance people were nearby so I asked them to help get the off leash dog (no owner in site) away from my apartment before my dog completely shattered the large picture window at the front of my place.

That's the problem around here: Typically, when another dog comes up to mine, there's no owner in site. They are in their home, in their apartment, who knows where, but they come flying out of nowhere once they hear their dog barking and then hear my boy barking and going berserk. Oh, now you can pay attention to your dog? As was illustrated yesterday, Mr. "My Dog Is Licensed Not To Be On A Leash" (no such thing, it was not a service dog at all), had zero control over his own dog. The dog followed me - not in a mean way, and idiot couldn't get his own dog to listen to him. I guess his dog knows stupid and wanted a new home away from that.

And as many have said, it. does. not. matter. if your dog is "friendly". I don't care if your dog just wants to "say hi", my dog doesn't want a thing to do with your dog. My girl dog loves other dogs, but I still don't want a strange dog to come flying up to her. It's disrespectful not just to me, it's disrespectful to the dogs, both of them, mine and theirs. That is not how you introduce dogs. The introduction of dogs must be in a controlled environment, not randomly on the street - even if you know the owner. Every time I hear some clown shoe tell me that "it's okay, he's friendly", I think, "oh look, another twit who knows nothing about dogs".

There's thousands of them out there.

The bolded: It is so true. I don't think truer words have ever been spoken when talking about dogs. You have no choice but to learn so much about dogs when you have a reactive dog or your life will be a total mess with that dog. You have to learn for the dog's sake and your own...and of course, other dogs. This should be posted on billboards, in and around pet shelters, pounds, animal rescues, etc. People have no damn clue what they're talking about when it comes to reactive dogs unless they've had a reactive dog. It never stops them from putting in their two worthless cents, however.
This is similar to the one I bought. There are many types and styles available and price ranges on Amazon. The sound alone is enough to repel most dogs but if need be, use it. The dog won't be permanently harmed but he'll never bother you again.
I live in CA too. Each city has it's own laws. My city had no problem with me using it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Diamondback...stun+gun+baton

Old 11-26-2018, 10:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,444,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I had a neighbor like that once. We both had about 10 acres of property but she always let her "bigger" dog run free and he loved pooping in my yard. I got fed up with it. One morning I grabbed a 5 gallon bucket and a shovel, scooped his poo and threw it back into her yard. It was very satisfying when her grown son stepped in dog poo

I live in a rural area now and had exactly the same problem with a neighbor whose dog (now deceased) took every single crap of the day and night on my property. When I asked him to clean it up his response was that the rain would dissolve it...ah, no.

We eventually fenced most of our property but the dog still crapped in front of our house so finally I put a bag of its crap on the guy’s porch. I love dogs, but was glad when that one was gone (for other reasons than the poop).

This neighbor is in his 80’s and I won’t even get into the other dog issues regarding our own dogs that we have had with him, but I’m bringing this up because it doesn’t seem to matter where a person lives, there are people who are jerks about dogs.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
"it doesn’t seem to matter where a person lives, there are people who are jerks about dogs."

This sums up the entirety of the problem very succinctly. No matter how one may approach another whose dog is out of control, the fact is that in a great many cases, the owners of those dogs simply don't care about anyone else. It seems that sense of entitlement (l/my pet/my child comes first, screw anyone else who we cross paths with) runs rampant these days. I've found that in asking someone to keep their dog away from my reactive dog, they almost always either completely ignore me, or I get the standard, absolutely infuriating response of 'It's okay, mine's friendly'. Twice now, I've been accused of having a vicious dog (and being told that he needs to be put down) because THEIR dog ran up to him and got in his face after me asking the owner to please keep their dog away as mine might bite. In both cases the other dogs received hard nips to the face when they got too close - this after my dog tried avoiding them, and after me trying to block the other dog. I've been verbally assaulted by these owners, all because they didn't have a clue about dog body language, they didn't respect what I was telling them, they didn't respect my and my dog's space, and they just didn't care.

I've learned to no longer interact with such people. I will still always give a warning if someone is approaching with their dog as there are still some people who will listen and who are appreciative, but beyond that, I've honestly given up with most others. A new person moved into the neighbourhood a few weeks ago, they have a big chocolate lab and they are renting a house that sits on the corner of the street. They don't walk their dog; instead, they open the door in the morning and let him out to cross the street, defecate on the school property, and then wander wherever he wants to go. And of course, when the owner sticks her head out to call the dog back in, he simply ignores her until he decides to go back on his own. If this dog doesn't get hit by a car, it will be a miracle.

I agree that people should have basic lessons in dog ownership before acquiring one as a pet. But that type of law will never happen, and even if it did, l doubt it would make any difference to the people who are causing the problem. You can't change people who just. don't. care.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,903,980 times
It would be WONDERFUL if people had to pass a basic knowledge test prior to being allowed to have any animal, not just dogs. We would hopefully see much less ignorance and cruelty.

You have gotten many great suggestions here so I won't rehash them.

One of my friends has a dog who is sweet with all people (even strangers) but is dog-aggressive. She carries pepper spray and also has a harness for the dog like this:

She uses a leash that also says 'No Dogs' when she is walking her dog in public. It's helped with the ones who have their dogs on leashes anyhow and the ones that come up unleashed she has the spray and also has some kind of loud soundmaker that scares them.

It's frustrating when people let their dogs wander unleashed at will. I was at a park last summer and there was a dog that was crapping on the beach then that same dog started attacking a leashed dog that was being walked in a designated pet area. The guy with the leashed dog unloaded some bright orange pepper spray all over the unleashed dog and the owner finally appeared and they got into it...and the police got involved. Some people just have no courtesy for others or common sense.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:09 PM

30,287 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It would be WONDERFUL if people had to pass a basic knowledge test prior to being allowed to have any animal, not just dogs. We would hopefully see much less ignorance and cruelty.

You have gotten many great suggestions here so I won't rehash them.

One of my friends has a dog who is sweet with all people (even strangers) but is dog-aggressive. She carries pepper spray and also has a harness for the dog like this:

She uses a leash that also says 'No Dogs' when she is walking her dog in public. It's helped with the ones who have their dogs on leashes anyhow and the ones that come up unleashed she has the spray and also has some kind of loud soundmaker that scares them.

It's frustrating when people let their dogs wander unleashed at will. I was at a park last summer and there was a dog that was crapping on the beach then that same dog started attacking a leashed dog that was being walked in a designated pet area. The guy with the leashed dog unloaded some bright orange pepper spray all over the unleashed dog and the owner finally appeared and they got into it...and the police got involved. Some people just have no courtesy for others or common sense.
To be honest with you, I don't think the people around here who "are licensed to have their dog off leash" (lie), are going to be intelligent enough to figure out that the vest means "keep your dog away from mine". With the mentality of the morons around here, they would probably think it was a joke vest, like a "no dogs allowed" type thing with a dog wearing it...they really are that stupid.

Some years ago, there was a movement for the yellow bandana for dogs who are dog aggressive, and they wanted to make it world wide so that people who had dogs who don't like other dogs could put them on their dog as a warning to idiots who don't control their own dogs, and for the idiots to learn that even though "it's okay, my dog is friendly", it's not okay to allow their dog to run up on any random dog they see.

I think it would be quite the undertaking considering we can't even get people to understand why there are leash laws in the first place, and those have been around for a long time.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Telling the OP to move or do something about how her dog may react when an illegally unleashed dog gets in her dog's face or space... is like blaming the driver for being on the road, when the drunk driver crashed into him/her!
Actually, it's just being practical — kind of like how you'd avoid driving in neighborhoods with lots of bars on New Year's Eve or after a Duck's game because of the possibility of drunk drivers. There are too many idiots out there for the authorities to police them all, so individuals have to be proactive. Saying that the complex management isn't going to patrol this place to make sure everyone has their dogs on leashes is just common sense, because they aren't.

I really, really dislike other dogs coming up to my Pomeranian. I don't live in a "complex," but I do live in a residential neighborhood where everyone seems to have dogs. I see the same people out every day, and it hasn't been difficult at all to let them know that their dogs are not to come running up to mine. The first time I see someone grin like an idiot and say, "don't worry, he's friendly" while their off leash dog is headed toward mine, I pick up my Pomeranian and tell the person to get their dog under control — and then it's not a problem with that person anymore. I guess I just live in a more intelligent community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs