Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times

Advertisements

Pekinese comes to my mind, as does Brittany spaniel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,395,429 times
From my years of being a Vet Assistant, I would definitely say there is Spaniel in your dog! The dog is much to small to have any kind of Husky in it. Also, as already mentioned, I do see part of it's coat that has the look of Golden Retriever. The problem with a "mix" is that sometimes it can be very hard to really distingish which breeds are in it. Good Luck and it sure looks like a wonderful dog!!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM

627 posts, read 2,851,383 times
Hmmmm… maybe a smidgen of a Basenji??

I too agree that she is more than likely a hinze 57. What a doll she is!!!

I know I said Alaskan Mal. and they are larger, but I raise/rescue Boxers... and I have had some of those "larger breed dogs" be dwarf. ie: female Boxer sisters (two different litters, same breeder) one weighing in at 87 pounds, her younger sis at 18 pounds... You never know!!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,784,445 times
My friend has three border collies and she looks a lot like them. So maybe she's a mix of a Border Collie and smaller Spaniel?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Default Another idea!

I found another breed that looks a bit like Penny (love the name story, btw )... it's a Tibetan Spaniel, which you can see here:

http://www.boazvet.com/Images/Dogs/NonSporting/tibetan_spaniel.jpg (broken link)

And this one is referred to as a Tibetan Spaniel mix... I think it's almost a match!
http://www.bassethoundrescue.net/bhrlimages/foxy1.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-06-2006, 12:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,173,384 times
Hi, I think it may have a Sheltie mix in her, we had a Sheltie, and she passed away in 2005, she was so well mannered, and a very good dog like yours.
The Sheltie breed in a smaller version of a Collie, her colors are pretty much the same, and the tail is also about the same as hers was. The Sheltie breed are very smart and very loyal to their family, if she has some Sheltie in her, you couldn't ask for a better dog. Give her a treat from us to. Take care.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,173,384 times
She difinitely has Sheltie mix in her, I went back and took another look at the first picture you posted, and everything except her face and ears, looked just like the Sheltie we once had.
You have a great little dog there. The Sheltie breed fits the size because the tallest they get is about 21 inches, and they do come smaller then that, but size wise she is the same. The colors also match, and the tail, ours was the same way, she had a little black, with the white tip on the end.
I just say you have a very good dog, one that will give you so much love, and you will have so many good memories or her. Take care.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,169,326 times
Whatever she is, she is beautiful. Take good care of her.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,868 times
Thanks everyone, you guys are great.
My Mother-in-law has a Tibetin spaniel mix and I never put the two together but she has the size and face of her dog just not the color. The sheltie guess is right on with the color. I didn't even think of that and my Mother-in-law also used to have one of those. They have the weird black streaks just like Penny. Sheltie and Tibetin, thats sounds like a good fit. And yes she is a wonderful dog we just love her. We got her to help out my other little dog that just went blind and we knew since we were moving that he would need a seeing eye dog to get around the new house. It worked, they love each other and he follows her around. She is awesome with my son, even rides in his powerwheels trucks. She sits on my computer chair with me like a cat. She has no interest in dog toys but she keeps shredding the cats feather toy. She is sweet but very odd (in a good way) at times. Thanks to all.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I also have a "mystery mutt", and have been trying to figure out his breed since I got him (January '06)... the shelter had him listed as "Shepherd/Terrier", which is about as generic as you can get! Still don't know what the heck he is, but he's a cutie - and so is yours!! Aren't mutts the best?

Hmmmm... maybe I'll start my own thread to get input on my dog.
You should. If he is a large breed I probably could guess good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs