Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Okay, so "lookingfortheperfectplace" got me thinking about my dog too... she said she'd be able to guess his breed, so here's your chance!

All I know is that he probably has German Shepherd, and most likely some kind of terrier... he's 35 lbs., and in case you can't tell, has a curly tail that usually flops over like a Pug's. Best guesses to this point are Jack Russell (based partly on his personality), Shiba Inu, Basenji, Cattle Dog, Chow, and Manchester Terrier. Anyone have a better guess? His personality is very sensitive, loyal, protective (but not aggressive), intelligent, fairly active/bouncy, loves other dogs & cats, shy with new people. Anyway, here's Rudy... you can also see more pics in the "animal pictures" thread:

At age 5 months:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Sept06028.jpg (broken link)

A few months ago (he's 1 yr. old now):
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Sept06010.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 06:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I think all your guesses are good ones. I can't think of any better ideas.
I'm glad you mentioned his weight because from his pic I would have guessed that he was a larger size.
All the Chows and Cattle Dogs I've met have been rather testy (if not downright aggressive) with other dogs. I think Cattle Dogs are really cool though.
The Shiba Inus were sort of careful but not mean at all.
Rudy sure is cute!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:05 PM

892 posts, read 2,372,389 times
My best guess is German Shepard and Schipperke. He has their eyes and their tails curl.
Shepard and Basenji is good too.
I don't see chow or shiba inu in him at all.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Definitely part german shepard. My dog is part, and has the same face. Your dog's ears are more german than mine...mine has the lab ears.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:39 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! I've had someone mention Schipperke before, but I was thinking they're too small. Can you imagine one mating with a German Shepherd? But I guess anything is possible, lol. Basenji is the one I probably hear most often, so that's a definite "maybe"... they're just such an unusual breed, that I don't see them as randomly breeding. Though it could have been a Basenji mix that did the deed! Finally, it doesn't sound like Rudy has the personality of a Cattle Dog & Chow... he's only had one real fight with another dog, and it was just to get the other dog to stop humping him. He usually likes boys, but I guess this one just wasn't attractive enough. Other than that, he loves most dogs - as long as they're not too pushy or aggressive. Anyway, sounds like the only breed anyone agrees on is German Shepherd... guess I'll never know for sure what he is, other than a great doggy!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Definitely part german shepard. My dog is part, and has the same face. Your dog's ears are more german than mine...mine has the lab ears.
Aren't his ears enormous?? When I first adopted him, his ears were floppy... so I actually thought he was part Lab, until they popped up a few weeks later. I think both types are cute!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:49 AM

Default Hmmmm...

I just did an image search, and maybe you're right about the Schipperke... he definitely has their eyes! It would also explain the weird hair around his neck, which goes backwards & sticks out.

http://www.frenchtoutou.com/groupe1/images/schipperke/2tetes.jpg (broken link)

I'm still wondering how that mating session would work, but maybe I don't want to know... hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs