Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
Who said I wanted to return my dog? I was saying that it is money that motivates puppy stores not to sell puppies without proper testing done.

Puppy stores do not want people returning or paying for sick dogs' treatments so they will be motivated to do business with legit breeders that do genetic testing.

Shelters' motivation? Get the dogs out and it is a legitimate motivation but I was never made aware that my large pup that looked just like a german shepherd/rott mix puppy would be prone to hip dysplacia.

Did you not read my other part where I said that my adopted pup has hip dysplacia? I still have her and she is 14.
I don't think anyone said you wanted to return your dog. I'm glad that you still have her, but why wouldn't you? I don't feel like keeping a dog for 14 years is really something that we need to start congratulating people on, but I guess with the way some people go through dogs...

Of course all rescues are different, but any of the ones I ever worked at educated people about any current health problems, or ones that might come up in the future of the dog they were about to adopt. We had licensed vets on staff that did a medical exam on each and every animal that came into the shelters. Hip dysplasia was mentioned with large breeds and luxating patella with smaller dogs. I wouldn't adopt from a shelter that didn't give their animals a check up.I also wouldn't adopt from a place who's main motivation is getting the dogs out as quickly as possible without caring about the dog's health. Maybe that is common in high kill shelters, but certainty not the majority of shelters/rescue groups.

Although its also on the person to do some research on the dog they are about to adopt. German shepherds, like a lot of large breed dogs, are prone to getting hip dysplasia. That isn't some hidden secret that only shelters know about.

And maybe you're lucky with the pet stores where you live, but you are naive if you don't think a majority of pet stores are getting their puppies from puppy mills. I've heard plenty of horror stories about the dogs that came from the ones that used to be around here. Thankfully, they're all just about gone. I couldn't even tell you were a pet store was around here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 06:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Yes the OP made it clear it's just something to please keep in mind. I didn't know a lot of things when I went 'dog shopping'. Particularly that my future dog was depressed and shut-down, not mean.

But I did know from us finding random dogs growing up that used dogs are great! I wanted a shepherd mix, that was all I had as far as criteria. And then from there, one that grabbed me. I was looking for that connection.

If I didn't find it right off I'd have gone back every week or month to look at new arrivals. And I mean the pound, not a rescue org, not that there is anything wrong with rescue orgs, just being clear.

SOME rescue orgs are profiting too much and have ridiculous contracts and such. The rescue org that MY dog was helped by volunteered at the city shelter and made sure she got to have extra time. Something about being HIGHLY adoptable, but looked over due to size, being black, and aggressive looking.

And then shutting down of course. The bad side to staying too long is that once I knew why she acted that way at first I understood it totally. How many times had she wagged her tail and other things hoping to be noticed, begging to be taken, and passed by over and over?

Anyway all OP is saying is that there are some HIGHLY ADOPTABLE dogs in there. And I saw lots of puppies too. It was just a PSA to think about it. Not assume they are all bad dogs or sick dogs or untrained or whatever the stigmas are.

Mine was rock solid potty trained, good with my cat, etc. And now I have another used dog now that everyone wants! From shelter dog to 'no, *I* get to pet sit' in-demand dog.

Tons of wonderful dogs that someone just couldn't handle. Or they got sick. Or they got lost and there is no method of finding the owner.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 PM

231 posts, read 335,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone said you wanted to return your dog. I'm glad that you still have her, but why wouldn't you? I don't feel like keeping a dog for 14 years is really something that we need to start congratulating people on, but I guess with the way some people go through dogs...

Of course all rescues are different, but any of the ones I ever worked at educated people about any current health problems, or ones that might come up in the future of the dog they were about to adopt. We had licensed vets on staff that did a medical exam on each and every animal that came into the shelters. Hip dysplasia was mentioned with large breeds and luxating patella with smaller dogs. I wouldn't adopt from a shelter that didn't give their animals a check up.I also wouldn't adopt from a place who's main motivation is getting the dogs out as quickly as possible without caring about the dog's health. Maybe that is common in high kill shelters, but certainty not the majority of shelters/rescue groups.

Although its also on the person to do some research on the dog they are about to adopt. German shepherds, like a lot of large breed dogs, are prone to getting hip dysplasia. That isn't some hidden secret that only shelters know about.

And maybe you're lucky with the pet stores where you live, but you are naive if you don't think a majority of pet stores are getting their puppies from puppy mills. I've heard plenty of horror stories about the dogs that came from the ones that used to be around here. Thankfully, they're all just about gone. I couldn't even tell you were a pet store was around here anymore.
You are stating things out of the context and making it into a jab. You are doing it again by stating that I wanted to be congratulated for keeping my dog for 14 years. You asked what makes people think puppy store pups are without problem and I answered - money. Then, you said something about how dogs aren't supposed to be returned so you are taking things out of context so please stop.

I adopted a pup and she has hip dysplasia and shelters did not inform me even of a possibility and they don't really have a motivation to versus a store. Why would I go and adopt another puppy from a shelter? That is why I tried to adopt an adult dog but I ran into the problems that I mentioned in my earlier posts.

All I am saying is that there are valid reasons why people don't adopt and yes, I support my local shelters by donating and participating in their events.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Petfinder says otherwise. I guess those are fake puppies?
Those are NOT puppies at the Nebraska Humane Society. Check out the webpage for the Nebraska Humane Society, and you'll see not a one. (Lots of ex-pups purchased from Craigslist ads which have been dumped for the sin of outgrowing puppyhood, though. And so many cats and kittens that the shelter was recently giving them away for free out of sheer desperation.)

Quote:
You could also travel a few hours to a larger city and find even more puppies, but who wants to put that sort of time into a 15-20 year commitment?
That is EXACTLY what I expect someone wanting a puppy to do.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 PM

910 posts, read 2,334,270 times
Quote:
You know you can get puppies from shelters, right? Either someone will turn in a stray that ends up being pregnant, or someone dumps a litter of puppies on their doorstep in the middle of the night. An 8 week old puppy up for adoption is not going to have any "skeletons in the closet" and I doubt they have been imprinted with any bad habits, especially when their only reason for being up for adoption is for simply being born.

But even with a dog from a pet shop, how do you know it is not going to get hip dysplasia or know that it won't defend itself when other dogs start a fight? Even the best dog is going to fight back, I don't see that as an adoption issue.
The point being in my case is I found a puppy that my wife and I both liked, it's not a matter of, oh, let's go and find the same type of puppy at the shelter...that's not the same thing in my opinion, even if it's within the same breed, each pup is different. It's that particular puppy, or as they say the puppy chose us, irregardless of the source.

Again, back to my bad analogies. Are you going to buy a Toyota Prius, hybrid, or electric car because it's better for the environment, or are you going to buy the car you want, that suits you? Will you be willing to adopt just any child at an orphanage, or are you going to find the right child in your heart to adopt, even if you're willing to pay a little more.

I understand the message people are saying is to stop buying puppies from shops because it lines the pockets of puppy mills, but the other side is that we will get the pup we want, based on appearance, demeanor whatsoever. If the pup I bought at the store was in an adoption shelter somewhere, of course I'll go at great lengths to get him, I know the kind we got will get snatched up by anybody looking for a very cute little pup at a shelter, but what we were looking for (and ended up getting) is nowhere available at the local shelters we looked at.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:41 PM

910 posts, read 2,334,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I know all about puppy mills. I adopted a discarded mama who came from one. Maybe you shouldn't pre-judge people like that

I'm poking fun at the people who think they are some sort of hero for adopting a dog. Meanwhile the dog is the same dog. Where do you think shelter dogs come from?

Take care of your dog no matter where you got it from.
Quote:
The big shelters know that a lot of people want puppies and they don't want certain breeds.

And in order to keep their revenue streams up, they are importing dogs into certain regions from other regions and even from overseas.

And I wonder what conditions those dogs came from...but it doesn't matter, as long as they are stamped with "RESCUE" people can feel good about themselves. It's brilliant really
Quote:
People are being defensive because of the high and mighty attitudes on this thread

I agree with you, I think everyone looking for a dog should look at their shelters and rescues first. Absolutely. But sometimes that doesn't work out for very well-known reasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes the OP made it clear it's just something to please keep in mind.

Anyway all OP is saying is that there are some HIGHLY ADOPTABLE dogs in there. And I saw lots of puppies too. It was just a PSA to think about it. Not assume they are all bad dogs or sick dogs or untrained or whatever the stigmas are.
Yes, the OP just made a PSA, but some folks chimed in and said never buy a pet from a pet store because they come from puppy mills, etc. Yes, heard that argument many times already. I quoted bookspage because he/she seems to be the one that gets perspective on both sides. Those who adopt from shelters are very admirable, but should not look down on those who choose not to is all that bookspage is saying, and I agree. A life is a life, regardless of where you choose to get it from. It's unfortunate as a result that puppy mills may stay in business because of it but as I said before, the reality of supply and demand is continuing it, despite the admirable efforts of those who adopt. But there are other people who will not adopt just for the sake of adopting, they will choose the pup or dog that they want regardless of source.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Again, back to my bad analogies. Are you going to buy a Toyota Prius, hybrid, or electric car because it's better for the environment, or are you going to buy the car you want, that suits you? Will you be willing to adopt just any child at an orphanage, or are you going to find the right child in your heart to adopt, even if you're willing to pay a little more.
Yes, I would get the car that is better for the environment and not just one that was all shiny amd pretty. I'm not sure I understand your other analogy, are children at orphanages sold at different prices? I don't think I could say that one child is better then another, what would make one child unworthy of my love?

I guess I'm the same with dogs. I don't base my decision on what dog to buy on their coloring (please tell me your not one of those people who needs their dog to match their decor... Yes, such people do exist) and if you are getting a puppy, especially at 8 weeks its pretty hard to tell what their personality is going to be. It seems like your dog is more hyper then you thought/wanted it to be, so you should know that.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
The point being in my case is I found a puppy that my wife and I both liked, it's not a matter of, oh, let's go and find the same type of puppy at the shelter...that's not the same thing in my opinion, even if it's within the same breed, each pup is different. It's that particular puppy, or as they say the puppy chose us, irregardless of the source.

I understand the message people are saying is to stop buying puppies from shops because it lines the pockets of puppy mills, but the other side is that we will get the pup we want, based on appearance, demeanor whatsoever. If the pup I bought at the store was in an adoption shelter somewhere, of course I'll go at great lengths to get him, I know the kind we got will get snatched up by anybody looking for a very cute little pup at a shelter, but what we were looking for (and ended up getting) is nowhere available at the local shelters we looked at.
I don't feel the car analogy works but yeah you're going to get the puppy you want. I was looking for a connection when I went to the shelter, as well as a loose breed requirement (shepherd mix).

I don't think anyone is saying if you fall for a puppy in a store to try and go replicate it at a shelter, but for people who are just starting out looking, try the shelter or a rescue first.

Heck, I couldn't go to a puppy store or breeder. I wanted a mix specifically! A GSD would be too large for me where I live. And my best dog growing up was a shepherd mix. I always hate saying that though. The other dog was such a good girl. We got her from a friend of my Mom's that had puppies. I picked her because she was the runt. I just bonded more/differently with the shepherd mix we found on the road.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
You are stating things out of the context and making it into a jab. You are doing it again by stating that I wanted to be congratulated for keeping my dog for 14 years.
It wasn't a jab, I just don't know why you keep bringing up the fact that you kept your dog despite its hip dysplasia. I would hope most people would keep their dog, and I wasn't even questioning if you did or not. I just, right, assumed that you did.

Quote:
You asked what makes people think puppy store pups are without problem and I answered - money.
And in a perfect world that cute little puppy in the window would have zero problems. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and Ive heard too many horror stories to ever consider a pet shop puppy. And that is even ignoring the fact that I would be supporting puppy mills. You might want to believe that pet shop puppies all have great temperaments, never get sick, never will have hip dysplasia or luxating patella, etc... But that's just not true.

Quote:
I adopted a pup and she has hip dysplasia and shelters did not inform me even of a possibility and they don't really have a motivation to versus a store. Why would I go and adopt another puppy from a shelter?
Why didn't you research the breed you were adopting? Hip dysplasia is common in German shepherds and other large breed dogs. Did she have it as a puppy? I would say that was a bad shelter if they didn't disclose any current medical issues, but how are future potential medical issues their fault? At some points it is your responsibility as the dog's owner to do some research, no matter where you get your dog from.

Would you have passed on the puppy if they had told you there was a 20% possibility of hip dysplasia? What about your vet? When you took the puppy in for its initial exam, nothing was said about potential health problems and ways to lessen the chance of it happening? To me it doesnt sound like a reason to never adopt again, but rather to do your research next time and ask questions to the appropriate people.

I still don't understand why you think a pet store is more motivated then a shelter to educate people on how to care for their pets. You think shelters want dogs returned due to health issues? That makes the dog harder to adopt out again and is more exensive to care for if they have higher then average medical needs.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Right. It's a thing with the breed. You have to know that. A puppy mill isn't going to tell you either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs