Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
There are reasons not to adopt and I am sure people are going to be mad at me for saying this.

I'm a dog walker and even the sweetest dog will snap at some things. I had a dog snap at me because he injured his leg (I know dogs snap when they are hurt but I had to try to get him home to get him help) and another one because I pulled him gently away from the trash he was trying to eat. These dogs are sweet. You can put your face or fingers near their food bowl and they will not care but they do snap at some things. Imagine I was a child and I didn't get the hint the first time and I am sure these dogs grew up in loving homes.

Would my dogs do this to me? No and I know this because I raised them from when they were pups.

Last year, I was going to shelters 3-4 times a week hoping to adopt an adult dog. A young dog (10 mo - 1 year) was jumping up to the fenced door and kept trying to pull my glove. I thought it was cute as I thought he was playful. Ten minutes later he bites a volunteer and I heard blood curling scream and she came out with a bloody arm and was rushed to the hospital. I stopped looking for an adult dog and got a puppy.

Adopting puppy is a great option but not everyone has that luxury. I couldn't adopt a puppy last year because I was living in an apt with weight & breed restrictions and no shelter had a purebred puppy that I knew could not go over a certain weight limit once it grew.

With this being said, I wish people would not judge others for not adopting. I adopted my first dog as a pup but chose not to adopt my second dog.
Thanks for the other perspective. I see your point about shelter dogs. It does break my heart because it's not these dogs' fault that they are in shelters. Though many feel we have the obligation to adopt, or guilt us into adopting as I've been guilted (and have felt guilty) for having bought a puppy versus adopting as well, but you have the right to choose, particularly if you're looking for a specific breed or size, and pay for the companion you want, and therefore being responsible to raise it as originally intended since you bought it since it was a baby, unlike those who may have given up on them and ending up in those shelters. I was looking at adoption sites myself for a few months and there is feverish competition for puppy adoptions, they are still chosen over probably some deserving adult pooches unless someone is specifically looking for an adult. I ended up buying as well despite my efforts to find an adoption, but there was nothing my wife and I could agree on except to get another puppy. None of the local adoption agencies had what we were looking for, or we had to travel out of state to get one, though many agencies permit local adoptions only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 08:49 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Used dogs are the best!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:57 PM

I didn't want a puppy no no. Potty training and all that? ugh. I picked a 7 month old dog out. Still a puppy, and actually I didn't know whether she was potty trained. But I was IN LOVE so I would have potty trained. Or gone to the moon. Whatever she needed or wanted. A perfect creature had made her way into the pound and she was for ME. A gift from God. It was wild. None of the dogs caught my eye or chose me or anything. Even her. I thought she was scary actually. She had given up, shut down. No light in her eyes. No tail wag. I barely bet the top of her nose, afraid she would bite. I went home to look online at some of the other dogs and there she was, 'Pet of the Week' and pictures of her amazing personality, going on the Puppy Parade I said OMG THAT IS MY DOG, MINE!

I went up the the next morning and couldn't find her. She was in the part of her kennel that is outside but in my haste I forgot there was an outside. I frantically searched all the other kennels and finally called her name. She ran and threw herself at the bars, up on her hid legs yipping. I'm OVER HERE!

She knew I was coming to take her away. It was seriously amazing. Fate!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Oh, and then a rescue puppy got dumped at my door. So I got the puppy experience after all. And now her furever home gets to enjoy all my potty training and other training. I got sleep deprivation, a ruined couch, etc. But there was puppy breath! That is a real thing.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Someone repped me and said Bless you. I can assure you, the favor was the other way around. That dog was a big favor to ME. I must have done something right in my life to deserve finding that gem.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Two best dogs I've had are rescue dogs. I lost the Catahoula way too soon, but I still have the kelpie. If I had never had the Houla, I'd think the kelpie was the best dog in the world. But honestly? The kelpie is TOO perfect. I loved my Houla so fiercely because he was more than a bit of an arsehole. Every once in a while, we would have big dramatic arguments with both of us yelling at each other until we worked out a compromise. When handling him, I had to remain entirely alert and aware. The kelpie? Not so much. I point him at something and he does it. I don't need a leash with him because he is right at my side no matter the circumstances. He gets along with everyone. He makes me a lazy handler.

I love my kelpie, but he cannot fill the hole left by my goofy spotted jerk of a Houla. The thing is that the kelpie would be the perfect dog for ANYONE. He can be happy anywhere. The Houla, however, was kind of the dog I understood and we were very specifically perfect for each other.

I will never get a dog from a breeder again. I got two amazing dogs through rescue. It's not a fluke.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Guys, let's be easy on each other.

First of all, there are real regional differences in what dogs are available at shelters. Enough said there because I know certain breed discussions aren't allowed on here, but for many families with kids or whatever, much of what is available in some areas won't work.

I always say at the end of the day, I don't care where anyone got a dog as long as they take care of THAT DOG and take responsibility for it.

I will judge people on the stupid things they do to dogs, but where they got that dog is irrelevant to me because it is done now.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't want a puppy no no. Potty training and all that? ugh. I picked a 7 month old dog out. Still a puppy, and actually I didn't know whether she was potty trained. But I was IN LOVE so I would have potty trained. Or gone to the moon. Whatever she needed or wanted. A perfect creature had made her way into the pound and she was for ME. A gift from God. It was wild. None of the dogs caught my eye or chose me or anything. Even her. I thought she was scary actually. She had given up, shut down. No light in her eyes. No tail wag. I barely bet the top of her nose, afraid she would bite. I went home to look online at some of the other dogs and there she was, 'Pet of the Week' and pictures of her amazing personality, going on the Puppy Parade I said OMG THAT IS MY DOG, MINE!

I went up the the next morning and couldn't find her. She was in the part of her kennel that is outside but in my haste I forgot there was an outside. I frantically searched all the other kennels and finally called her name. She ran and threw herself at the bars, up on her hid legs yipping. I'm OVER HERE!

She knew I was coming to take her away. It was seriously amazing. Fate!
I have nothing against rescue dogs, I feel for them, so I don't see why people have to defend getting one, just in the same way people feel they have to defend buying a puppy from a puppy store. I wanted a rescue, tried looking for one, but as you said, you picked one out. People pick their rescues, just in the same way people choose to purchase a puppy, otherwise why not just get first rescue you see or the one that needs the most help. Like I said, I wanted a rescue puppy but could not find one after months of searching. So when my wife and I went to pet a puppy at a store, the one we got captured us, if he wasn't there we could have walked away because there were other puppies there but it wasn't the one that captured our hearts.

I'm concerned my pup will be left alone for an extended period when we travel, in the back of my mind I'm considering picking up a young rescue, 7-10 months, as a sibling since he's almost outgrown his puppy period at 5 months so he has company. Haven't brought it up to my wife yet though

Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM

246 posts, read 279,026 times
We have only purchased one pure bred dog and he lived for a year had asthma and passed away. Ever since we have rescued and it is very rewarding. They seem to know they have been given a second chance and want to please. Would never purchase again

Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I have nothing against rescue dogs, I feel for them, so I don't see why people have to defend getting one, just in the same way people feel they have to defend buying a puppy from a puppy store. I wanted a rescue, tried looking for one, but as you said, you picked one out. People pick their rescues, just in the same way people choose to purchase a puppy, otherwise why not just get first rescue you see or the one that needs the most help. Like I said, I wanted a rescue puppy but could not find one after months of searching. So when my wife and I went to pet a puppy at a store, the one we got captured us, if he wasn't there we could have walked away because there were other puppies there but it wasn't the one that captured our hearts.

I'm concerned my pup will be left alone for an extended period when we travel, in the back of my mind I'm considering picking up a young rescue, 7-10 months, as a sibling since he's almost outgrown his puppy period at 5 months so he has company. Haven't brought it up to my wife yet though
I wasn't defending anything, I just like my story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs