Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,630 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I have had my dog for about 5 years now (dox mix) and she's about 5 1/2 years old. I have never had any issues with her in the past. But for about 5-6 weeks now, whenever I arrive home, she runs around peeing. Not sprinkles, large amounts of pee. Not just one spot, she'll run to about 4-5 spots and urinate a large amount. It started just when I was putting her collar on. Now it's whenever I open the door. It doesn't matter if I'm gone 10 minutes or all day. There are no new animals, people, routines, schedules, nothing is new that could have possibly triggered this behavior. These are some of the things I have tried, none of which have worked:

--go to vet for blood work (everything came back normal)
--take water up when I leave house
--completely ignore her when I get home for about ten minutes
--put her in crate (she pees the second I open it)
--ignore the behavior and clean it up

I have tried every single thing I could possibly think of and none of it works. I am at my end here, pretty much have taken all I can take I just don't know what to do anymore.

Does anybody have ANY other idea to throw out there of something that may possibly work? I am desperate and willing to try anything at this time.

----I should also add that I do not have a fenced yard and live on a road and cannot open the door and let her outside freely the second I get home. -----

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 11:56 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,122,348 times
If you haven't already done so ( not seeing it in your list), you may want to drop off a urine sample for your vet to test for a UTI. Ideally, the first urine of the day is best and free catch if you can. A urinalysis is pretty cheap, around $30. And is the first thing I do when one of the dogs has a change in urinary behavior. My last foster dog used to flatten to the ground tail tucked between her legs circling while urinating on yourself the entire time whenever I would put try to put her leash on. Sure enough, when I took her back to the vet to check her urine she had a UTI.

Behaviorally, you could also try just ignoring her don't speak to her at all when you first get home. Just attach her leash and take her outside to potty and when she's done praise her and start talking to her. In your case I do strongly suspect a UTI since this is new behavior. I think it would be strange to start submissive urination after five years in your home.

It's best not to withhold water as you don't want to create more problems.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Did they check her urine at the vet? If not, I'd have them do that.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,453,950 times
Is she spayed? Many spayed female dogs start to leak (some even flood) when they get older. It's happened with every spayed female dog of a certain breed that I've had over the past 40 years. A few even started leaking/flooding right after the spay operation.

Leaking/flooding is the #1 reason that older female dogs are turned in to shelters. But there's a chewable pill called PROIN that stops the leaking/flooding. It's not expensive so, if your dog's urine has been checked for infection, it might be worth your trouble to try PROIN and see if it stops the problem. (If the dog is overweight, PROIN may reduce the leaking/flooding but not eliminate it entirely.) Talk to your vet.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Proin also comes in liquid form. Mine didn't like it, we went w/ the pill form as she didn't like the taste of the liquid.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Proin also comes in liquid form. Mine didn't like it, we went w/ the pill form as she didn't like the taste of the liquid.

Actually, Proin comes in two pill forms -- chewable (liver-flavored) and non-chewable. My dogs have always loved the chewable form.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,630 times
Thank you all for the advice! I don't believe they checked her urine. I can definitely take her in for that to be checked and if she comes back fine I can try this Proin. Is it vet prescribed?

Yes, she is spayed.

I will update once I go back to vet. Thanks again!!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Yes, you can buy Proin from your vet. Hopefully, he/she has the chewable kind available. It's so much easier to give to the dog than the pill form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnieweener View Post
Thank you all for the advice! I don't believe they checked her urine. I can definitely take her in for that to be checked and if she comes back fine I can try this Proin. Is it vet prescribed?
Yes, she is spayed.
I will update once I go back to vet. Thanks again!!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yes, you can buy Proin from your vet. Hopefully, he/she has the chewable kind available. It's so much easier to give to the dog than the pill form.
If the vet doesn't have it you can request they give you a 'prescription' for an online pharmacy. (You'll fill out the order and the company will contact your vet for approval.) We've had to do that before for a couple of medications.

There are always pill pockets, which worked great for my big dog but not so much for the chihuahua-mix. She would just nibble the pill pocket away from the pill.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Is she good to come when she is called? if so, open the door and call her outside and let her get her excited pees over outside.

If she is not good to come when she is called, place a couple of x-pens outside your door so you can call her outside and she is still confined.

Follow vet advice above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs