Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times

Advertisements

If the vet didn't check her urine or ask you to bring a sample later when you brought her in for a peeing problem, I'd find a new vet. That's a pretty standard test to run in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 03:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If the vet didn't check her urine or ask you to bring a sample later when you brought her in for a peeing problem, I'd find a new vet. That's a pretty standard test to run in that scenario.
This thought occurred to me, as well.

Your dog is young still. I think bladder control issues should be a few years in the future. But it could be.

What occurs to me is an excitement issue. The dog is happy to see you, and has a bladder control issue when excited. Or, she has come to identify peeing with attention. I wonder what would happen if you took the dog outdoors immediately upon arriving home - giving her no time to pee inside. I wonder if she would still do her pee routine outside. If she doesn't do the routine outside, then you probably have a behavioral issue, not a physical one.

BTW - if you have area rugs or carpets - I have much better results cleaning them by taking them outside on to a paved area to clean. I can use lots of water and vinegar there, and not worry about floor damage. It is also easier if you are going to have a few days of good weather. I leave my area rugs outside, and hanging over a fence, to dry for 24 hours or so. But from what you say, this may not be possible for you. In which case, FWIW, I think the Bissell rug cleaning machines work better than Rug Doctor machines.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Is she spayed? Many spayed female dogs start to leak (some even flood) when they get older. It's happened with every spayed female dog of a certain breed that I've had over the past 40 years. A few even started leaking/flooding right after the spay operation.

Leaking/flooding is the #1 reason that older female dogs are turned in to shelters. But there's a chewable pill called PROIN that stops the leaking/flooding. It's not expensive so, if your dog's urine has been checked for infection, it might be worth your trouble to try PROIN and see if it stops the problem. (If the dog is overweight, PROIN may reduce the leaking/flooding but not eliminate it entirely.) Talk to your vet.
it worked for my older dog at age 12 when I told the vet. Lucky to have a great one

Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,453,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
it worked for my older dog at age 12 when I told the vet. Lucky to have a great one

So glad that you're pleased with your vet. A good vet is hard to find.

PROIN also comes in pill form that isnt chewable. But the chewable one tastes good to the dogs and doesnt cost much more. Since I have to give it every day (twice a day to some dogs over the years), buying the chewable version has always been the better option for me.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is she good to come when she is called? if so, open the door and call her outside and let her get her excited pees over outside.

If she is not good to come when she is called, place a couple of x-pens outside your door so you can call her outside and she is still confined.

Follow vet advice above.
I second this advice!

Old 10-02-2016, 09:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
So glad that you're pleased with your vet. A good vet is hard to find.

PROIN also comes in pill form that isnt chewable. But the chewable one tastes good to the dogs and doesnt cost much more. Since I have to give it every day (twice a day to some dogs over the years), buying the chewable version has always been the better option for me.
the dog did die 2 years later at age 14 anyway it all did happen fast and her vet I called and he was good.

we don't get enough time with these guys. He was really kind to us both-

Old 10-03-2016, 05:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
This thought occurred to me, as well.

Your dog is young still. I think bladder control issues should be a few years in the future. But it could be.

What occurs to me is an excitement issue. The dog is happy to see you, and has a bladder control issue when excited. Or, she has come to identify peeing with attention. I wonder what would happen if you took the dog outdoors immediately upon arriving home - giving her no time to pee inside. I wonder if she would still do her pee routine outside. If she doesn't do the routine outside, then you probably have a behavioral issue, not a physical one.

BTW - if you have area rugs or carpets - I have much better results cleaning them by taking them outside on to a paved area to clean. I can use lots of water and vinegar there, and not worry about floor damage. It is also easier if you are going to have a few days of good weather. I leave my area rugs outside, and hanging over a fence, to dry for 24 hours or so. But from what you say, this may not be possible for you. In which case, FWIW, I think the Bissell rug cleaning machines work better than Rug Doctor machines.
When my Catahoula was a puppy (but at least 6 or 9 months old, so it was unusual), he kept having bladder control issues. After having his pee analyzed, he got treated for a UTI or bladder infection (can't remember which), and it took a few rounds of antibiotics before it cleared up. I am convinced (with no scientific training, of course) that some dogs are just vulnerable to particular tenacious bacterial infections - hell, I'm the same way.

I am plagued by bacterial and fungal infections on my skin. It's weird as hell, and I basically have to use antibacterial soap (not the one they're phasing out) regularly to prevent new infections. It's been a few years since I've had a big problem with the bacterial aspect, but the fungal issue seems to have returned. The dermatologist says it's just something certain people are vulnerable to. I think there are dogs that are like that with bladder/UTI issues.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,997,197 times
If there appears to be no medical cause, I'm agreeing with hiero2 and gouligann that it is all about excitement ... somewhat the same issue with humans who get laughing so heartily and, well, let's just say there is a slight bladder control issue.

If this is the case, then the goal is to break the association of your arrival home with whatever it is that gets your girl so excited.

My cousin had a Cocker Spaniel that adored people and was the welcomer whenever anyone came to the house. Sandy was so darn cute that everyone would fawn over him at the door which elevated the situation to a point that he'd start sprinkling. It took time to train the humans not to do that when they came in and to just say hello, to not reach down and cuddle the cutie. Essentially we ignored Sandy until later.

Eventually Sandy lost that association between people coming in and knowing he was going to get lots of loves, and the piddling stopped. He'd still circle around with a welcome greeting, but he didn't get the reward of too much attention. Once he was calmer and over that need to welcome, it was safe to pet him because he was in a different state of mind and his bladder behaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs