Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 AM

68 posts, read 63,671 times

Advertisements

From childhood to now I've had 9 dogs total. When I was growing up we moved around a lot and my parents were/are not the most dog savvy people on the planet, so that might help explain the number.

1. Husky: No way in hell! Unless this dog was A. an older adult and B. was lacking prey drive and insane energy. Nina was an untrained young B&W female from the humane society. She destroyed things, ate things, almost died from ingesting a rat the neighbors poisoned and bit me in the face. She ended up at a Husky rescue.

2. Pekingese X Cocker Spaniel X Miniature Poodle: Loved this dogs size, intelligence and personality, would like another if I could find one in a rescue or private re home. Nala came from a pet store in 1997 and lived till 2008.

3. Chow X ?: Another breed I would not want another one of. Chance was waaay to protective of me and could be scary at times. My dad got him for free from a coworker and we ended up re homing him when we had to move.

4. Lab X Doberman: If not for the size I'd like another one. She came from a bad situation; she was given to a teenage girl as a birthday present from her boyfriend. They split up and the dog ended up rotting in the backyard till the mom put an ad in the paper. We got her when she was around 5 in 2005 and she died in 2011.

5. American Pit Bull Terrier: Nope, don't want to deal with the aggression and health issues this breed has. Zane also came from a bad situation: He was left to die after some idiots tied fireworks to a litter of puppies necks and set them off. All but him and a female were killed. He has SO many issues it's not even funny. Dog aggression, agoraphobia, and skin/digestive issues. His anxiety if he leaves our property is so great that not even pills and a thunder shirt help. He'll be 8 this year and is definitely showing his age.

6. German Shepherd X Boxer: No way, too much crazy! Abby was supposed to be a search and rescue dog, but the leader of our group flaked out on us and I was stuck with what turned out to be an insane dog. She went to live with a couple that LOVES her kind of crazy.

7. Great Pyrenees X Anatolian X Lab: Love Pyr's and Labs, but they just get too big! Deputy came from a lady that pulls dogs from high kill shelters in really isolated and rural areas. He is turning 9 this year and has Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and mild hip issues.

8. Miniature Pincher X Dachshund X Chihuahua: Like small dogs, but not most specimens of those particular breeds. Kieber was found running along a busy highway as an estimated 8 week old puppy. He is INSANE; he chases/bites at his own feet/tail while growling at them, he has no off switch and almost failed several basic obedience classed. He will be 3 this year.

9. Husky X Border Collie X Akita: Not unless they are like the one I have right now! Mysti is a one-in-a-million dog. She bonded with me the first day I walked her at the shelter and is like my living shadow. She lived as a stray with several puppies before she was found. She's young, but we don't know her exact age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I've had seven.

American eskimo - I adopted Angel (while she was pregnant) after her owners house burned down. She was the sweetest dog in the world. Before I adopted her she would come down the road to my place and visit all day. She was smart and attentive. YES.

Beagle mix - Buddy was a sweet dog. I adopted him with Angel (he was the pups sire). He was a very friendly dog and went everywhere with me. He lived to be 23 years old. I would like another beagle BUT they shed heavily.

Four pups from Angel/Buddy - They were all sweet dogs. The two short haired ones shed a LOT. Yes; I would love to have them all back now. (One is still alive at 13 years old)

Black Lab mix- Lucy showed up one day as a pup (dumped). She fit in very well with all the other dogs (they loved her ) She is a very sweet dog and would not hesitate to get another Lab

Old 01-10-2016, 11:15 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times
Two Dobermans

Two Standard Schnauzers

One Standard Poodle

One mutt Terrier from death row.

I'd take another Standard Poodle but I'd rather another Doberman above all else.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
From a kid to being an adult, I've had shepherds, border collies, a terrier/poodle mix, labs, and retrievers. I'd not get a shepherd or a border collie, simply because they were our farm dogs and they had jobs to do, so they would be so completely bored with my suburban existence. They were great dogs, though. I've loved them all.

I like the big dogs better. They are less yappy and just big bundles of love and joy. I probably will always have a bigger dog of some sort - lab or retriever probably.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Not counting childhood dogs owned by my parents, 6 since about 1978.

Mutt
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (2)
Bernese Mountain Dog
Golden Retriever/Lab mix
Golden Retriever

All of them were great, though the Cavaliers had health issues. Of these, the Bernese was the greatest dog, 2nd the most recent Golden, but unfortunately these breeds have low longevity (8, and 10 years). Our Bernese made it to 9, the Golden to 13 (last summer). We are currently dogless.

Should we decide to get another, it would most likely not be any of these breeds, but one requiring less grooming and smaller.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:57 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Dalmatians - Quite a few when younger. Intelligent and great with kids, but they need acres to run.

Somoyeds - Beautiful, but too temperamental for me.

Alaskan Malamutes - Best dogs I have ever owned. Smart, VERY stubborn, fur flies everywhere twice a year in large quantities, vacuum cleaner needs to be industrial strength, need to walk them daily, definitely not for everyone, but I will never have another breed!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,133 times
Again, not counting dogs from childhood.

1. Peke/Cocker Spaniel Mix. Rescue. Sweet dog
2. Schnauzer. Rescue, as thick as two planks
3. Collie/something mix, showed up at our door. Happiest dog ever
4. Springer Spaniel, Found at a gas station. Gorgeous dog, what a find.
5. Mutt, lord knows what. Another happy dog that landed at our door.
6. Greyhound, rescue. Lovely girl
7. American Bulldog. A gift. As hard headed as they come but she was by far the smartest dog we have ever had.
8 Bulldog/boxer (?) mix. Rescue. The love of my life without doubt (and I have dearly loved all our dogs)

Present

9. Wire haired Dachshund, rescue. Smart and a character. The barking out of nowhere will give me a heart attack one day!
10. English Bulldog. a re-homing situation. He's a hoot!

I would have any one of them again except maybe a schnauzer and I can't really say why.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:33 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,295 times
From childhood on I've had a lot of different breeds and suppose I'd own them again, but it would depend on my situation.
I think Pit Bull and Caucasian Ovcharka are my favorites. I really like Boxers too but they are sadly not known for longevity. I had a wonderful Lab mix as a child that I'd have another of too but I'm sure she can't be replicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
5. American Pit Bull Terrier: Nope, don't want to deal with the aggression and health issues this breed has. Zane also came from a bad situation: He was left to die after some idiots tied fireworks to a litter of puppies necks and set them off. All but him and a female were killed. He has SO many issues it's not even funny. Dog aggression, agoraphobia, and skin/digestive issues. His anxiety if he leaves our property is so great that not even pills and a thunder shirt help. He'll be 8 this year and is definitely showing his age.
I can understand the aggression being a deal breaker. However, they are a fairly healthy breed, so I can't see that as a reason to shy away. For many though the aggression and other problems are enough to keep them from ownership.

It is hard to accept that some human beings are lower than animals in how they treat each other and animals. Who could do that to puppies!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:37 PM

68 posts, read 63,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
From childhood on I've had a lot of different breeds and suppose I'd own them again, but it would depend on my situation.
I think Pit Bull and Caucasian Ovcharka are my favorites. I really like Boxers too but they are sadly not known for longevity. I had a wonderful Lab mix as a child that I'd have another of too but I'm sure she can't be replicated.

I can understand the aggression being a deal breaker. However, they are a fairly healthy breed, so I can't see that as a reason to shy away. For many though the aggression and other problems are enough to keep them from ownership.

It is hard to accept that some human beings are lower than animals in how they treat each other and animals. Who could do that to puppies!
In my area we have quite a few with skin and digestive issues.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
1. Rough collie (Australian bred from Dutch lines) - perfect dog
2. Rough collie (Texas bred) - perfect dog
3.* Smooth collie (Georgia bred) - don't care for the cat-like flying hair issue, but otherwise perfect dog
4.* Rough collie (Texas bred) - perfect dog

* Currently own.
I'm sold. I don't have problems with these dogs and they're super easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs