Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I would like another beagle BUT they shed heavily.
They DO and its that tri colored hair you can't even plan your wardrobe around!

Most of my dogs have been mixed but the pure breeds:

Irish Wolfhound 100% yes, although I probably won't because they are a hassle to find (at least where im at, took me 3 years) awesome sweet gentle, trained in like 3 days, never chewed anything he wasn't supposed to. Stops traffic when I go for walks, especially if the chihuahua mix is with us. Zero chance of a burglar entering your house when they see him at the window. Perfect large dogl

Burnese Mountain Dog. No. Very happy loving dog. Not that I would, I swear you could beat this girl with a bat and she would smile and wag her tail.
But very excitable, shes going to tear an ACL when she gets a little older. Even opening the door to let her out is like christmas, 8 x a day.. Sheds a ton even with a lot of brushing. Someone walking past our house gets loud barks which stinks when the babys sleeping. Nice dog but just a little too hyper.

Weimereiner no, way too smart for their own good. Destructive to himself mostly but no. Also it tried to kill my beagle so that didn't help (granted it was a twice returned rescue but i've read a lot on others having the same traits that make them difficult to own.)

Beagle no. It was smart enough to know what you wanted, but didn't give a (you know what). Every day I come home to pawprints on my table, went through 100 hats he ate , underwear, etc. part of this was I was much younger and didn't train right when he was young but still you could tell the stubborness. Also if he got a step or 2 on you, see ya in 3 hours they like to run away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Loved them all.

German Shepherds, my favorite
Scottish Deerhounds, not dogs at all, equals, my other favorite
Papillon, too smart, quite reactive, manipulative.
Saluki, elegant, independent
Borzoi, superiority complex, gorgeous to look at
Leonberger, fabulous dogs, gentle, great judgement,
Coursing greyhound, two speeds, chase it and kill it. Extra warm body temperature make a great foot warmer.
Australian Shepherd, endless energy, does everything at 89 mph, really smart, likes to make his own mind up about how things should be done.

My son has owned Schipperker, wouldn't have another one. Epilepsy and health issues
Doberman, great dog, very smart, very reliable
Welsh Springer Spaniel, best cuddler in the entire world, loves everybody
British hunt bred English Springer Spaniel, endless energy, totally devoted, very obedient and well behaved, best gundog

Old 01-10-2016, 05:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,686,828 times
When I was about five or six, I got my first Cocker Spaniel. He was a good dog. He lived to be about 10 or 11.

A few years later, I got a second Cocker Spaniel. He was great. A smart dog and never caused any trouble. He did have some medical issues, though. Ear trouble. He lived to be 13.

After that came another Cocker Spaniel. This one was cute as hell, but was certifiably insane. He would sometimes "snap" and try to kill you. He bit me two or three times. I should have gotten rid of him after the biting incidents, but I kept him until he died at about age 9.

My brother had two Golden Retrievers. Those are nice dogs, and if I ever get another dog, maybe it'll be one of those.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,267,931 times
Keeshond: Yes. Extremely intelligent. Beautiful dogs. Long-haired, so I would start my next one going to the groomer regularly. The one we had was a stray that no one ever claimed, despite our best efforts to find her owner.

Rat terrier: No. But I KNOW my husband would have another one in a quarter of a heart-beat. They are hyper. Hyper. Hyper. Did I mention they are hyper? Always shivering with excitement, racing around like nuts, etc. We swore our boy had an espresso machine hidden in the back yard. Could dig a hole under the fence in seconds. He did get trained by the Invisible Fence pretty quickly, though.

Pitbull mix: Maybe. Depends. Ours was a "side of the road" adult girl that jumped in my husband's pickup the second he opened the door. (She knew a good deal when she saw one!) Sweet, loving girl, but STUBBORN as all get-out. And she always had to get the last word. If she was reprimanded, she would walk away and then you would hear a little yippy bark, as if she was muttering under her breath. She also loved to chase and kill rabbits and there were too many horror stories about that. (Invisible Fence mostly fixed that problem, as long as the rabbits could get to the "zone" quickly enough.)

Doberman mix: Would love another. Extremely sweet girl, very submissive. Loved attention. But oh, could she jump. Again, the invisible fence fixed that problem. She died too young of osteosarcoma. Damn you, osteo!

4 assorted mutts. I love mutts. All were strays or shelter dogs. All had their issues. But all were sweet, loving dogs. 2 of them (both boys) became best buddies and it was always heartwarming to see them. They adored each other.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 PM

19,816 posts, read 22,710,079 times
I won't count childhood.

1. Basenji(s)- I love this breed, but I'm on the fence if I want another one. Our first dog was a female basenji who 50% fresh African from a recent import. She was absolutely the most intelligent dog I have ever owned. She also turned out to be a cooperative hunter (with a lot of work and patience by me). Our second Basenji was a male and from old American lines. A little smaller, stouter and he was a pure devil dog. It was almost intolerable at times. We currently have a female basenji (again American) who is wonderful, playful and expressive but not a hunter.

2. Black lab/dalmation mix- Rescue dog. I never want to repeat that at all. The dog wound up not tolerant of our newborn son. Was re-homed to single woman who wanted one dog. It worked out better that way.

3. Chows- a pair showed up on our property- no tags, malnourished and in poor health. We gave them temporary care and vet care but they were re-homed. Not fond of the breed in general.

4. Souphound (mix)- mostly redbone and maybe foxhound. Found wondering the woods, no collar, malnourished.. We had him a year- nice dog but definitely a mans dog! A friend of mine really got along fabulously with him and he owned a farm. Perfect match. Lived the rest of his life on the farm.

5. Bluetick coonhound- She was a heartbreaking rescue. She was abused, malnourished and needed urgent veterinary care. Her original owner was going to shoot her because "she didn't hunt". It took a long time to get her to come around, eventually she was the best dog for our family. She bonded with me, my kids- was a true guardian for the kids. She was a great dog. However I will never own a coon hound again. Not that I dislike them- my personal needs have changed.

6. Boxer- No. Never again.

7. German shorthaired pointer- We have two of them now. I will more than likely always have GSP's in my house. They are everything their breed description proclaims. Faithful and energetic, fun, easily trained, great with kids and they are great bird dogs for upland and waterfowl. When I moved to Montana I took up bird hunting and have become addicted to it, and these guys are my partners. I've never had so much fun working with dogs in my life.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:37 PM

548 posts, read 1,039,173 times
Not including my childhood

Black Lab- He was really smart and a great dog.

Springer/cocker mix- Cassie was a perfect dog. She was great with our growing kids and their friends.

German Shepard- We have had 3. Zeus was good for us and our family but wouldn't let strangers anywhere close to us. He chased my MIL out the door once when she walked in. Angel was a mess from the day we got her. Mojo was a good dog but not as smart as most shepards and was shy.

Golden Retriever- We had 2 Noah was a dork and funny as all get out. We ended up giving him to my parents when he almost bit our son at the age of 1. We also had Daisy at the same time. She was another dog that was perfect. If I could clone her I would only have Goldens.

Whippet mix- We found Buddy under our deck one fall day. His collar was on too tight and he was half starved and full of separation anxiety. We loved Buddy for 11 years and he was very loyal to us.

Dachshund- We currently have 3. I love my doxies. They are my dogs not the family dogs.

Collie mix- Wilson was my mom's dog I inherited when she passed away he is around 12.

Min pin mix-Dingo showed up on our doorstep this past Christmas we really don't want or need another dog but we can't send him out into the cold or to a shelter where he might be killed. He is welcome to our acreage.

I would have any of the dogs we have owned again.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,103,005 times
Beagle. Uncle was a breeder. Good dog. Needed a lot of exercise which he got.
Jack Russell. Friend moved to Spain. I got the dog. One of my best dogs. Needed a lot of exercise, very smart and obedient.
Golden Retriever. Great dog. Sweet, protective, gentle. Had digestive troubles late in life.
Black Lab. This dog was abandoned. Tied up with clothesline in a park. Very aggressive and destructive. Took a while but finally found a home for him with a very large fenced yard. Last I heard he was doing well.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
In my area we have quite a few with skin and digestive issues.
I believe it. Once a bad breeder sets up shop in an area they will spawn more bad breeders through their puppy buyers. It will continue on and on. One can always acquire a dog outside their area to have a healthy dog. Though I know you don't wish to have another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. Rough collie (Australian bred from Dutch lines) - perfect dog
2. Rough collie (Texas bred) - perfect dog
3.* Smooth collie (Georgia bred) - don't care for the cat-like flying hair issue, but otherwise perfect dog
4.* Rough collie (Texas bred) - perfect dog

* Currently own.
I'm sold. I don't have problems with these dogs and they're super easy.
Is the state relevant to the breeding? I know some lines are regional but wouldn't the actual lines be a better go by.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,267,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
They DO and its that tri colored hair you can't even plan your wardrobe around!
Now why haven't fashion designers focused on this issue? Clothing that matches your dog's hair! Brilliant!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post

Is the state relevant to the breeding? I know some lines are regional but wouldn't the actual lines be a better go by.
Agree. I was just contrasting the local vs international (which can have some more exaggerated differences in morphology).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs