Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM

14 posts, read 16,976 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have recently moved to a new community and have to find a new vet. If you have some guidelines to check out I would appreciate the info. I don't know anyone here I can reliably ask for referral. Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,411,243 times
Go to the State & City you moved to and ask! Bet you get a Lot of the Good Bad & Ugly of the local vets.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,263,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineDogShop View Post
Hello All,
I have recently moved to a new community and have to find a new vet. If you have some guidelines to check out I would appreciate the info. I don't know anyone here I can reliably ask for referral. Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you.
My personal criteria would include:
1. Holistic therapies such as chiropractic and acupuncture
2. NO annual vaccinations and instead running titers every 3-4 years
3. Proof of ongoing continuing education
4. Up to date surgical support (anesthesia tech, etc.)
5. Vet is willing (if able) to get down on the floor with my dog(s) and spends some time schmoozing with them before getting down to business
6. Vet thoroughly discusses all treatment options giving the pros and cons of each
7. Vet has a good understanding of dog (or cat or whatever) body language
8. Vet understands my budget and works within/around it
9. Vet respects me enough to allow me to assist with certain non-invasive procedures such as xrays without sedation
10. Last but not least...vet is an excellent diagnostician

These are off the top of my head. There are more but I don't want to completely overwhelm you.

If your new community has a pet store that leans holistic...small store, sells lots of frozen raw dog food and only kibbled dog food that is at the very top of the super duper premium dog food chain; wouldn't be caught dead selling Purina or Iams...that would be a good place to ask for a referral. Us holistic types are generally pretty fussy about our vets and are willing to pay/drive for the best even if the vet is not very holistic.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:30 PM

138 posts, read 130,212 times
If I know nothing about any vet in an area, the most important consideration for me is whether they have decent hours of operation that work with my schedule. I like that my vet's office has four vets working there and are open from early in the day until early evening, so I can almost always get in when I need to.

Other consdiderations:

Cost (not the most important, but they have to be at least reasonable)

Skill (patient and kind to pets who fear the vet's office, quick but thorough exams, nearly painless and quick shots)

Attitude (had one who only liked cats and treated me like a bad pet owner because my dog was scared at the office, and she didn't even give a full exam to my dog)

Whether they take my thoughts on pet care into account and don't push unnecessary stuff on me (for example, I delayed my dog's spaying until 10 months after doing research on my breed, and I don't want nor need for my dog to have a heartworm test when she has been 100% protected the full time)

Clean and well-run (obviously)

Old 05-12-2015, 07:31 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,083,352 times
All of the great vets we have had have great front desk/technicians. It's always a great indicator to me if the people are friendly and seem happy in their jobs and truly care.

I also look for a vet with good technology. Our current vet is in a small town 30 minutes from me but he has digital x-rays, immediate blood analysis, stays on top of new treatments and continues his education as well as sending his techs for on going education.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:09 AM

170 posts, read 236,276 times
I use a variety of methods to find a vet. I ask for recommendations from people I meet at the dog park, the pet store, random dog walkers I run into while walking my own dog. There is often a lot of overlap in who is being recommended. I check out online reviews of vets in the area. I research the vets, see what they offer at their clinic, see where their clinic is, how updated their technology, etc. The attitude of the people at the front desk is really the determining factor in whether or not I take my dog into the exam room. After that, it's more a matter of how I feel with the vet.

Unless it's a serious issue that must be addressed ASAP, the only thing I'll request for that first appointment will be a general check up. No vaccines, no tests, no shots. Nothing but looking. I'll watch how my pup is treated and ask all the questions I have. Then I make my decision from there about whether or not I want to continue with a particular vet. Unless something really crazy happens in the exam room or at the front desk, usually by the time my dog has been examined, I've already decided this vet is right for me.

Recently I've moved and I had taken my dog to the vet that was frequently recommended and had great reviews. I liked the vet a lot. He even had a really good plan of action for my allergy prone dog that didn't include steroid and antibiotic shots. I went to pay and make an appointment for next month to get dog's yearly vaccines and the lady at the desk decided to give me a card for dog training, telling me that attending this training will really help to bring my dog under control. My dog was sitting right next to me. He was wagging his tail and somewhat whining, but only because he wanted the treat that was sitting two feet from his face. He wasn't trying to get the treat because I had told him to sit and he obeys me. This was like receiving that totally unsolicited parenting advice for my infant from random strangers. It's so annoying and makes me want to poke their eyes. I didnt make a follow up appointment and I'm not sure I can because I'll be so on edge every time I go back worrying that any noise my dog makes will be met with someone implying that I can't take care of my pet.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,997,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
My personal criteria would include:
1. Holistic therapies such as chiropractic and acupuncture
2. NO annual vaccinations and instead running titers every 3-4 years
3. Proof of ongoing continuing education
4. Up to date surgical support (anesthesia tech, etc.)
5. Vet is willing (if able) to get down on the floor with my dog(s) and spends some time schmoozing with them before getting down to business
6. Vet thoroughly discusses all treatment options giving the pros and cons of each
7. Vet has a good understanding of dog (or cat or whatever) body language
8. Vet understands my budget and works within/around it
9. Vet respects me enough to allow me to assist with certain non-invasive procedures such as xrays without sedation
10. Last but not least...vet is an excellent diagnostician

These are off the top of my head. There are more but I don't want to completely overwhelm you.

If your new community has a pet store that leans holistic...small store, sells lots of frozen raw dog food and only kibbled dog food that is at the very top of the super duper premium dog food chain; wouldn't be caught dead selling Purina or Iams...that would be a good place to ask for a referral. Us holistic types are generally pretty fussy about our vets and are willing to pay/drive for the best even if the vet is not very holistic.
Yes to all of this. I would also search your area online- both good and bad vets are talked about online; I found my wonderful local vet through Angie's List.

I give points to any vet who gets down on the floor with my (medium-sized) dogs and extra points if they do the exam on the floor rather than putting my dog on table.

I have 3 vets- first, a local very good old-school vet who is good for all the usual basic stuff; second, a holistic vet who has also studied acupressure, acupuncture, chinese herbs who does home visits; third, the regional veterinary teaching hospital for the big second opinion stuff.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,263,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I give points to any vet who gets down on the floor with my (medium-sized) dogs and extra points if they do the exam on the floor rather than putting my dog on table.

I have 3 vets- first, a local very good old-school vet who is good for all the usual basic stuff; second, a holistic vet who has also studied acupressure, acupuncture, chinese herbs who does home visits; third, the regional veterinary teaching hospital for the big second opinion stuff.
I have two vets...the first two you describe, twelvepaw. Thankfully I have not needed any of the vets at our regional veterinary teaching hospital but I know they are there if needed.

Exam on the floor is really good for the dogs. Both my vets do that. My chiro vet...she also does TCM...has a relaxing, carpeted, home-like atmosphere in her exam rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs