Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 PM

166 posts, read 244,376 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have seen my posts in the thread "What is with rescue groups".

Here has been my experience with dates and a short synopsis of email conversations.
Draw your own conclusions.

I sent an application and received the following automatic email on Jan 26th.

Thank you for completing English Springer Rescue America's adoption application.

Time and Date of Submission: 05:59:57 Monday Jan 26, 2015 GMT+2
Unique Reference Number: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx

If you do not hear from us within 7 days, please e-mail adoptions_esra@hotmail.com and give the Unique Reference Number noted above.

Sincerely,
English Springer Rescue America

I had not heard back by mid February and sent a follow up email directly to a coordinator. This was on February 15th. I explained that I had filled out an application and had not heard back. I also indicated our desire to adopt out of rescue and gave a bit of detailed information on us.

I received a reply on Feb 23rd explaining the process in detail.

In the meantime I contacted a partner for this rescue group MAESSR. Mid Atlantic English Springer Rescue. Basically I am in a border state to this region and they responded very quickly. Unfortunately they don't adopt out of the area but they did say they might make an exception for a senior or special needs dog, otherwise go elsewhere.

Fast forward to March 14th when I received an email to set up my phone interview. This woman was VERY nice and helpful. Basically we had several emails back and forth over a short time frame and then a phone interview which was very good.

March 23rd I got another (pleasant) email from a member asking for patience while they found a local volunteer to do an in home visit. I replied that we were willing to wait but hopeful for progress and looking forward to adding a dog to our family.

I received an email on March 29th from the volunteer that would conduct my home visit. We set it up for and had it on Friday 3 April. I thought it went well and she brought her two dogs and let us love on them a bit. They stayed for about an hour and we all met each other and discussed dog care and how we would integrate them into our family. Where they would stay during the day, how to read dog language, where they would sleep etc.

I was told if I didn't hear anything in a week or two to contact her.

I didn't hear anything for 13 days so I called. I left voice mails. No response.
I ended up emailing the very nice woman who I had my phone interview with who said she would look into it and let me know. This was on April 20th and she responded the same day.

I was told by email to contact the regional coordinator by email so I did on April 21st.
I received a reply on the 23rd

Basically it said that because they could not contact the veterinarian I used for our last dog to verify records of care our application would remain incomplete. I emailed back that the last dog I owned died in 2004. The Vet, Dr. Cook retired and sold his practice several years ago. He kept paper copies and they are long gone so there is no way to verify and records at this point. I contacted the new management who said they would be happy to verify this info to the rescue group. Additionally, records are only required to be kept for 7 years. My dog died over 11 years ago.

I stopped by and introduced myself to the new management and veterinarian to develop a relationship should we get a dog through the rescue group or other means. I sent the following email to the rescue coordinator on April 27th.

Just as an added measure. I stopped by the Anderson County Animal Hospital in Norris today and introduced myself. I spoke at length to Dr. "Will" Roberts and introduced my son as well. We had a good discussion on the treatments both routine and otherwise that should be followed for a pet. I wanted to get a relationship going and discuss a plan of action should we get a dog from your group and if not, what plan of action we would take if we got a dog from another source. The only thing I found that I would probably have to go elsewhere for would be grooming since they offer limited services in that regard.

I received an automated response saying they were out of the office for vacation until the 30th of April. I have not heard anything else since.

I realize I am probably burning any bridges and chance at getting a dog out of a foster home from this group by this post but I have done nothing wrong. I've contacted a couple of breeders and will probably have a dog soon. I'll still offer up our home to a dog from the rescue group if they decide to place one here or contact me further. In addition to the above I recently installed a 4' chain link fence around our backyard for the dogs safety(not cheap). I have about 1/3 acre fenced in. We plan to make an inside dog out of our new family member but a fenced yard for playtime with tennis balls or a Frisbee is needed IMO. We also spend a lot of time on the lake in our pontoon boat(cause who doesn't love a lake dog!), lots of hiking and I jog 25-50 miles a month at a nearby state park so it'll get lots of exercise. Or at least as much as he/she wants (but not too much).

In closing, we have a very nice setup for a dog. We are an active family of 2 adults that are dog savvy and a 9 year old that loves animals who we'd like to introduce to the joys of adding a dog to the family. We have a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,240,878 times
Amazing story.

So, basically, if you don't have a dog that requires somewhat regular veterinary care, to demonstrate that you take your dog to the vet, you are not a competent owner, per the standards of this rescue group? That is my take away from the story.

Tuck qualifies me!!!!

Taffy never would...

I take exceptional care of both my dogs.

Amazing.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM

621 posts, read 1,424,037 times
i will guess its a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing! But, I sure would love to see you document and send this to the Springer Club of America and let them know their group needs some help!

I have been an active dog person for over 40 yrs, and recently got a parrot. Now, granted I am new to bird ownership but have a ton of critter experience overall. A local parrot rescue was crying about being overrun with birds and asking for foster homes. I volunteered to help if I could, not adopt but foster for a bit... got turned down same as you as not having current vet reference for my parrot. Hmmmm, bird is healthy with no reason to see a vet. Thankfully!!!!!

So, no foster home here for them. Oh well... I offered. And I didn't even get a home visit to see the house or the bird.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,603,993 times
I am sorry to hear how much trouble you are having. I will say that rescues that do not adopt out of their area are missing out on good homes for their dogs as with the internet pictures of dogs needing homes get sent all over and if someone is willing to arrange transportation for their new dog why not let it go out of the area? I am pretty sure that Best Friends has a net work of people that will do home checks and perhaps rescue groups need to net work more so they can do out of area home checks.

Since leaving my parents many years ago I have owned 6 dogs 2 came from shelters , 2 from the local humane society, one from a breeder and one from a rescue. The rescue was the hardest one as I live in a condo so only have a fenced in patio but I live by the beach and several great areas that allow dogs to be off leash. The dog was a puppy that was part Border collie part cattle dog so yeah not a great mix for most people in a condo but I was very active and had plans of doing agility.

They said I could not have her because I did not have a yard. My reply to them was you are right I do not have a yard but if I did a dog this smart would never be out in the yard alone.That being so If I have to be out with it what is wrong with being out at the beach or on one of the wilderness trails or our leash free park? I told her it is not a yard that is important with this breed but the time a owner is willing to give the dog and being I only work 3 nights a week I had lots of time and the lady could not come up with another reason to not give me the dog so the puppy came home with me and Jazz and I had a wonderful 14.5 yrs together. She thrived beautifully without a yard and she had a great adventure or two everyday much better then a boring back yard.

When I adopted another dog from our Humane society when Jazz was two. This dog was a 1 yr old border collie X springer spaniel and at first they said No you need a yard as this is an active dog . I told them what I told the rescue and they still said no . I said OK let me bring the dog I own in and if you want letters from my neighbors and vet then you decide if I can handle this dog . They talked to my vet and I brought Jazz in ( she was much more active and smarter then he was) and when they met her they said well I guess you do know what you are doing so 1 yr old Dash came home with me and spent 11 yrs until cancer took him from me. Both dogs had fantastic lives and I do not think they ever missed having a yard. If we visited my parent's where there was a yard and a dog door to it they only would go out if I was out there.

I had no problem with buying the one dog from a breeder and she was a very protective breeder. But because I had gotten to know a couple breeders of the breed she was able to trust them when they told her I would be a great owner . I am in So Calif she is in Washington.

I am in California and one of my shelter dogs came from a high kill shelter in Texas that does do out of state adoptions and that was one of the easiest adoptions.. It was a puppy and I had only seen a photo some one posted on Facebook and I knew with out a doubt she was my dog and she is now 4 and I have no regrets as she is my dog. All I had to do was call the shelter, arrange payment and transportation and have her out by a certain date. No home check no tons of questions.

But I do agree some rescues can make adoption difficult and because they do people turn to breeders as they get tired of the long long wait games and not hearing anything. Yes I know these people have lives and volunteer their time but often their actions cost the dog a good home and that is sad. I have heard so many lame excuses as to why people were refused too .Do these groups really think their idea of a perfect home is the only possible home? Everyone's idea of a perfect dog home is a bit different as was mine and the rescue group that had Jazz. But at least they listened to me and let me have her.

Will keep my fingers crossed and Dazzle and Chaos will keep their paws crossed that you hear some good news soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:11 PM

843 posts, read 1,434,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Some of you may have seen my posts in the thread "What is with rescue groups".

Here has been my experience with dates and a short synopsis of email conversations.
Draw your own conclusions.

I sent an application and received the following automatic email on Jan 26th.

Thank you for completing English Springer Rescue America's adoption application.

Time and Date of Submission: 05:59:57 Monday Jan 26, 2015 GMT+2
Unique Reference Number: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx

If you do not hear from us within 7 days, please e-mail adoptions_esra@hotmail.com and give the Unique Reference Number noted above.

Sincerely,
English Springer Rescue America

I had not heard back by mid February and sent a follow up email directly to a coordinator. This was on February 15th. I explained that I had filled out an application and had not heard back. I also indicated our desire to adopt out of rescue and gave a bit of detailed information on us.

I received a reply on Feb 23rd explaining the process in detail.

In the meantime I contacted a partner for this rescue group MAESSR. Mid Atlantic English Springer Rescue. Basically I am in a border state to this region and they responded very quickly. Unfortunately they don't adopt out of the area but they did say they might make an exception for a senior or special needs dog, otherwise go elsewhere.

Fast forward to March 14th when I received an email to set up my phone interview. This woman was VERY nice and helpful. Basically we had several emails back and forth over a short time frame and then a phone interview which was very good.

March 23rd I got another (pleasant) email from a member asking for patience while they found a local volunteer to do an in home visit. I replied that we were willing to wait but hopeful for progress and looking forward to adding a dog to our family.

I received an email on March 29th from the volunteer that would conduct my home visit. We set it up for and had it on Friday 3 April. I thought it went well and she brought her two dogs and let us love on them a bit. They stayed for about an hour and we all met each other and discussed dog care and how we would integrate them into our family. Where they would stay during the day, how to read dog language, where they would sleep etc.

I was told if I didn't hear anything in a week or two to contact her.

I didn't hear anything for 13 days so I called. I left voice mails. No response.
I ended up emailing the very nice woman who I had my phone interview with who said she would look into it and let me know. This was on April 20th and she responded the same day.

I was told by email to contact the regional coordinator by email so I did on April 21st.
I received a reply on the 23rd

Basically it said that because they could not contact the veterinarian I used for our last dog to verify records of care our application would remain incomplete. I emailed back that the last dog I owned died in 2004. The Vet, Dr. Cook retired and sold his practice several years ago. He kept paper copies and they are long gone so there is no way to verify and records at this point. I contacted the new management who said they would be happy to verify this info to the rescue group. Additionally, records are only required to be kept for 7 years. My dog died over 11 years ago.

I stopped by and introduced myself to the new management and veterinarian to develop a relationship should we get a dog through the rescue group or other means. I sent the following email to the rescue coordinator on April 27th.

Just as an added measure. I stopped by the Anderson County Animal Hospital in Norris today and introduced myself. I spoke at length to Dr. "Will" Roberts and introduced my son as well. We had a good discussion on the treatments both routine and otherwise that should be followed for a pet. I wanted to get a relationship going and discuss a plan of action should we get a dog from your group and if not, what plan of action we would take if we got a dog from another source. The only thing I found that I would probably have to go elsewhere for would be grooming since they offer limited services in that regard.

I received an automated response saying they were out of the office for vacation until the 30th of April. I have not heard anything else since.

I realize I am probably burning any bridges and chance at getting a dog out of a foster home from this group by this post but I have done nothing wrong. I've contacted a couple of breeders and will probably have a dog soon. I'll still offer up our home to a dog from the rescue group if they decide to place one here or contact me further. In addition to the above I recently installed a 4' chain link fence around our backyard for the dogs safety(not cheap). I have about 1/3 acre fenced in. We plan to make an inside dog out of our new family member but a fenced yard for playtime with tennis balls or a Frisbee is needed IMO. We also spend a lot of time on the lake in our pontoon boat(cause who doesn't love a lake dog!), lots of hiking and I jog 25-50 miles a month at a nearby state park so it'll get lots of exercise. Or at least as much as he/she wants (but not too much).

In closing, we have a very nice setup for a dog. We are an active family of 2 adults that are dog savvy and a 9 year old that loves animals who we'd like to introduce to the joys of adding a dog to the family. We have a lot to offer.
I still feel it is a cop-out for the "oh" I have to go to a breeder. Bull.

This rescue group sucks. They have sooooo many layers they can't see a good home when it hits them in the face.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
Just get a dog from elsewhere. Some of these "rescues" are all about stroking their own ego instead of actually doing what is in the best interest of the most dogs.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:42 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,687,205 times
Dr Evil (you don't sound so bad to me)..... It sounds like you are in Tennessee. I wish you would at least consider the dog I just turned back to a rescue place in Reddick, FL. I was discussing it in the "Have to give a dog up - Advice" thread.

She is listed as a spaniel/lab mix. Previously it was listed as a Brittany Spaniel mix. Here's her listing at Petfinder

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23284243

The picture of her in blue collar is current, the others are 3 years old. We had to turn her in because she would get into fights (4 in 3 years) with my other dog. I don't know who was to blame. Both females which we never had a problem with before, but people tell me it can be an issue.

This is a WONDERFUL dog. In a situation like yours where she is the only dog she would be perfect. To say she's loving is an understatement. She slept in the bed with us, when we watched TV she would crawl up into the Lazy Boy and rest her head on your chest.

She's at a nice age. 3 1/2. Past the chewing stage, past the digging stage, yet still young and "puppy-like". I can assure you if you met her you would love her. We did and it killed us to give her back.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,449,901 times
Do it Dr Evil! She sounds like a very good girl, and you're hearing it from someone who knows.
Is the video recent as well, Newporttom?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM

No the video is from 3 years ago. The rescue place there is is much quicker acting, although it usually takes 24-36 hours to hear back from Jody (the contact on web link). She's actually being fostered at a farm in Reddick, FL. The foster couple is very responsive to email/phones requests. I don't know how much it helped speed things up but we were able to point out our fenced in back yard is visible from Google Earth.

From the time we first inquired, we had her within 2 weeks, and it was delayed a bit because she was undergoing some medical. First few months of her life were rough, so we were trying to ensure the rest were great.

She got dropped off in the middle of the night at a kill shelter. Except there was no place to leave a pet, so the person threw her in a trash dumpster. The workers heard her trying to get out the next morning. Since it was a kill shelter, a worker there contacted Second Chance Rescue and Second Chance took her and put her on the foster farm.

She had skin issues and an e-coli infection but after a month or so she was good to go. She has been healthy as can be ever since.

Talk about energetic... we have a doggy door, and eventually had to install a "speed bump" by putting something 2 or 3 feet inside the door... previous to that she was so at ease with the doggy door that she would go thru it at full speed !!

I have lots of pictures of her and my other dog all curled up and sleeping with each other. 99.99% of the time they were great with each other.

PS - Dr Evil I see you are Active Duty USAF. Retired Air Force here.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 AM

They've edited the pictures on the web site so they are all now current. The video is still old.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23284243
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs