Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I am sorry to hear how much trouble you are having. I will say that rescues that do not adopt out of their area are missing out on good homes for their dogs as with the internet pictures of dogs needing homes get sent all over and if someone is willing to arrange transportation for their new dog why not let it go out of the area?
One reason, and I think it can be a valid one, is that if the potential adopter already has one or more dogs it may be that the old and new dog(s) don't get along. When I adopted my two latest girls I had to take my current two up to MD so that all the dogs could meet. I knew that my 14 yr old would be no problem but the 8 yr old grayhound/lab mix can be a rather rowdy and I did have some concern that he would be too much for the 9 yr old girls.

The rescue should certainly consider long distance adoptions if the dog will be an only dog and there is no worry about pack dynamics. My group did have a long distance adoptee returned after about 6 months when he and the existing dog just never could work out their differences and there had been a couple of bad fights and vet visits to fix them up. I can understand that an owner might not want to spend ten years of having to go to extra lengths to always keep two dogs apart, especially in a case like this where the owner was a young guy who was an avid backpacker, camper, hiker and wanted to be able to take both his companions with him. We did find a new home for that one and he got along just fine with the other dog in the household and they quickly became best buds.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs