Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Food for thought. I like everything he said except the last part where he said "Go to your local animal shelter and get yourself a mutt puppy". Puppies are not for everyone. There are some wonderful adult and senior dogs needing homes much more than puppies.

But some folks definitely want a certain breed instead of a mutt. That is their choice. We have a Bichon and a Maltese, both adult rescues. Both perfectly healthy, leash trained, house broken and perfect pets for our family of adults, children and cats.

I think there is a place for RESPONSIBLE, ethical breeders but it is too easy for puppy mills and backyard breeders to pass along undesirable and unhealthy characteristics. NO To BACKYARD BREEDERS AND PUPPY MILLS.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
Made a huge mistake with our last dog. This time we want a responsible breeder, papers and even meet the parents, ACA or another membership certified. We may pay a little more but it's worth it.

I know Goldendoodles aren't purebreds, but this is the breed we have been researching and this dog has everything we want. We are going to take our time in finding him. I've heard hybrids are healthier than purebreds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:03 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Made a huge mistake with our last dog. This time we want a responsible breeder, papers and even meet the parents, ACA or another membership certified. We may pay a little more but it's worth it.

I know Goldendoodles aren't purebreds, but this is the breed we have been researching and this dog has everything we want. We are going to take our time in finding him. I've heard hybrids are healthier than purebreds.
ACA is NOT a reputable registry and Doodle mixes are NOT a breed; they are also NOT hybrids. AKC does not give registration papers for mixed breed Doodle crosses. Go to the pound and get one for 100 dollars if you want a mix - there will be no difference. That the extra 700.00 you almost wasted on a mutt and donate it to the AKC to further their educational and research programs that benefit the lives and genetics of dogs. You cannot get "papers" for a doodle mix because the only groups issuing papers are non legitimate "papers for cash" faux "registries" that hand out fake papers to anyone who pays them. It is no different than a man sitting in a room with a printer, randomly printing out "papers" for dogs as they pay him a 10.00 bill. The papers are meaningless and not worth the paper it is printed on.

Everything piece of misinformation you typed here is exactly what un reputable producers of these fad mixed breeds thrive off of.

Almost every Doodle mix I have worked with was plagued with severe chronic ear infections, hip dysplasia, and severe coat matting due to be being more high maintenance and expensive to groom and maintain, than a Standard Poodle. Their maintenance is more like an Old English Sheepdog, but the producers and sellers lie to buyers saying they are "hypo" and "care free." The dogs suffer when they finally go to get groomed because the owner can no longer stand the filth and stench coming off of all that matted fur - and the dirt, mud, water, twigs, etc., that they drag all over their clean house. Even taking a drink 10 times a day out of their water dish dips a filthy, stinking beard into the bowl and leaves trails of slimey and smelly water all over your house.

Last edited by L0ve; 05-02-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 AM

5,899 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Remember that many dog breeds are relatively new (compared to hundreds/thousands of years of evolution), as a result of years of cross breeding dogs. In the future, GoldenDoodle may be a "purebred".

Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Remember that many dog breeds are relatively new (compared to hundreds/thousands of years of evolution), as a result of years of cross breeding dogs. In the future, GoldenDoodle may be a "purebred".
We are still researching this breed, too. I've only read good things (besides the post above this one) so will keep researching. I think they've only been around 15 years or so.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
ACA is NOT a reputable registry and Doodle mixes are NOT a breed; they are also NOT hybrids. AKC does not give registration papers for mixed breed Doodle crosses. Go to the pound and get one for 100 dollars if you want a mix - there will be no difference. That the extra 700.00 you almost wasted on a mutt and donate it to the AKC to further their educational and research programs that benefit the lives and genetics of dogs. You cannot get "papers" for a doodle mix because the only groups issuing papers are non legitimate "papers for cash" faux "registries" that hand out fake papers to anyone who pays them. It is no different than a man sitting in a room with a printer, randomly printing out "papers" for dogs as they pay him a 10.00 bill. The papers are meaningless and not worth the paper it is printed on.

Everything piece of misinformation you typed here is exactly what un reputable producers of these fad mixed breeds thrive off of.

Almost every Doodle mix I have worked with was plagued with severe chronic ear infections, hip dysplasia, and severe coat matting due to be being more high maintenance and expensive to groom and maintain, than a Standard Poodle. Their maintenance is more like an Old English Sheepdog, but the producers and sellers lie to buyers saying they are "hypo" and "care free." The dogs suffer when they finally go to get groomed because the owner can no longer stand the filth and stench coming off of all that matted fur - and the dirt, mud, water, twigs, etc., that they drag all over their clean house. Even taking a drink 10 times a day out of their water dish dips a filthy, stinking beard into the bowl and leaves trails of slimey and smelly water all over your house.
I agree 100% with this post. I have two expert groomer friends and they have both made these same comments about the "Doodles".

Bottom line...they DO shed. Unless you are very fortunate and get one of the few that don't. So if you decide on a large "Doodle" be prepared to face the music on paying an exorbitant price for a dog that will likely shed and a dog that may end up with cancer...it's a serious health issue in Standard Poodles.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post

I have no problem keeping up with their grooming. It's part of being a dog owner. I didn't realize the miniature goldendoodles have the hip dysplasia, but many breeds have health issues; its just what you're willing to live with or what we could do to allow the best quality of life if and when genetic problems rear their heads. I would also have to meet the parents and find out any health problems in advance. I realize the mixes aren't going to have papers but there are still great breeders out there. One i've researched has been breeding them for 10 years. Still in the research phase as we are giving ourselves lots of time to decide. A beagle would be our second choice.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
I have no problem keeping up with their grooming. It's part of being a dog owner. I didn't realize the miniature goldendoodles have the hip dysplasia, but many breeds have health issues; its just what you're willing to live with or what we could do to allow the best quality of life if and when genetic problems rear their heads. I would also have to meet the parents and find out any health problems in advance. I realize the mixes aren't going to have papers but there are still great breeders out there. One i've researched has been breeding them for 10 years. Still in the research phase as we are giving ourselves lots of time to decide. A beagle would be our second choice.
With a purebred or a mix of two breeds or even a designer breed produced from the same designer breed parents (they haven't been around nearly long enough for breeders to reliably reproduce type, coat, temperament or even begin to address genetic issues) you have to look way beyond the parents for health issues. One must look at not only the parents of both sire and dam and their parents and so on but also all the littermates of all those dogs as well as any previous litters the dam and sire produced either together or from being used with another dog...or as many as can be contacted or kept up with.

Remember that crapshoot I wrote about in a previous post? You are taking even more of a genetic crapshoot with a designer breed since more stuff can crop up unannounced. Why? It's nearly a complete unknown. They don't have many years of research, testing and observation of the many lines involved in producing the cross the way top notch breeders of purebred dogs do. Plus the simple act of mixing the genes involved from two different breeds (or their progeny) can produce many unknowns that even dedicated and thorough research of lines will not unearth.

All that said, getting a dog from a shelter or a rescue is a genetic crapshoot too. Many of us do it. I've done it four times. But most people do that with their eyes wide open...they know they may get unlucky and are willing to take the risk. Since you've had one very sad, bad experience you prolly want to reduce your chances of another as much as possible.

Go with the Beagle. Great family dog. Just never let him off leash.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:30 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Your statement is false when you say it would do everyone a favor. Since everyone implies "all," that would include me and I do not consider it a favor. So you might want to rephrase to "some."

It might do those who hate pure bred dogs a favor (not sure how, would love some further explanation).

And do you honestly believe that if there were no pure bred dogs, there would be a sudden decrease in the number of dogs abandoned and in shelters? From my observation, helping out in a few shelters in the past eight years, there are very few pure bred dogs. (That could be due to a lot of pure bred dogs are given to, or picked up by rescue organizations for that particular breed.)

As for dogs show; I'm inclined to believe what you say; however, I base it only on those who I know participate in dog shows and that is really a small number.
Yes, I should have rephrased my statement to "some of us." I was referring mainly to backyard breeders and amateurs who breed their dogs for a second income or as gifts for friends and family. It happens a lot around here. People advertise puppies for sale that are AKC registered and sell them openly at the flea markets and in the paper. It's not illegal to breed purebreds, but I've known people who kept several supposedly purebred dogs in conditions that were probably not the best for them. Incentive for this would disappear if most purebred dogs became worthless. People even get papers from organizations like the CKC when they can't verify the dog's bloodline. They pass mutts off as "designer dogs" because they know if they call them that, they will sell. Do away with the value, and we will do away with incentive to sell.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Food for thought. I like everything he said except the last part where he said "Go to your local animal shelter and get yourself a mutt puppy". Puppies are not for everyone. There are some wonderful adult and senior dogs needing homes much more than puppies.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php

Yes, if I ever get another dog, it should not be a puppy. Puppies are a lot more work than an adult dog. Adults, especially if they're retired working or service animals, are already fully trained and ready to go. Even if they aren't one-hundred percent trained, they can tolerate their owners better than puppies.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
My dog is purebred from a breeder. I chose purebred/puppy so that I pretty much knew what I would be getting temperament wise and would be able to train her the way I wanted to. I have a child and I'm not about to bring a dog in to my house with an unknown history. If I didn't have a child to worry about I would no doubt get an older, rescued etc. dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs