Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know. Think how wonderful to make the dog genetically flea-free.
I'd like a genetically modified puppy who hates to eat poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM

685 posts, read 720,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The science of GMO is not a matter of opinion. What you've been reading for years is total hogwash, and the "research" that's been published has had holes shot clean through it. GMO corn is CORN. We do know what's in it: CORN. If you were to eat the native corn the settlers ate in the 17th century, you wold gag. You wouldn't recognize it. Plants are hybridized, and they are also bred for disease resistance and resistance to pests that cut farm yield in half.

We don't just disagree. It isn't that simple. You are wrong on this. If you read newer research on The Genetic Literacy pages, you might think differently. Or not. Old beliefs are hard to turn around.

There is also a good page of references from the University of Georgia.
GMO links

And from the nYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/us...bout-gmos.html

Science is not a matter of opinion. GMOs are here to stay, and if you won't eat them, you will probably starve. What I CAN tell you is that without GMO crops, the whole world will starve within 100 years.
The sentence about "Science is not a matter of opinion," xxx. That speaks volumes. Farmers in India are committing suicide because of deals they struck with Monsanto preventing them from being able to provide for their family. This started @1995 and continues - links are abundant and Monsanto denies it (naturally). The dying has begun. Yes, GMO crops are here to stay because it's a huge business and they don't care who dies from it. Bon appetite.

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 03-17-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 02:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
The sentence about "Science is not a matter of opinion," xxx. That speaks volumes. Farmers in India are committing suicide because of deals they struck with Monsanto preventing them from being able to provide for their family. This started @1995 and continues - links are abundant and Monsanto denies it (naturally). The dying has begun. Yes, GMO crops are here to stay because it's a huge business and they don't care who dies from it. Bon appetite.
Well, who are you going to believe? A website called "seattleorganicrestaurants"? They really trumpeted thatheadline. Or will you trust The Economist, one of the most respected publications in the world?

Consider your sources. If a website has a cheesy name that includes words like organic or natural -- go look elsewhere for your facts. Believe it or not, there's a whole lot of garbage published online. And don't cite The Daily Mail. It's a rag. People in America seem to think because it's British, it's a good source. The Mail isn't fit to wrap garbage in.

Indian farmers are not committing suidice over GMO crops.
GM crops, Indian farmers and suicide: GM genocide? | The Economist

Also, stop taking Food Babe seriously. Every word she utters is wrong.

Now here is that point where someone plays the shill card.....waiting....waiting....

Old 03-18-2015, 03:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
As I've posted in one other thread, I've had 2 bad experiences with Blue Buffalo. The first when my dog was a puppy, it caused "digestive issues". The second, Blue Buffalo limited ingredient, supposed to help with allergies, caused my GSD to lose his coat, I'm not talking normal GSD shedding, he's lost so much hair it doesn't even look like the same dog. His hair loss is so bad he looks like a stray that hasn't had proper nutrition. I had the vet run a full bloodwork panel and everything including thyroid is fine. The vet thinks it was the dog food (and has seen coat issues with other dogs on Blue Buffalo). Never again will I feed it to my dogs.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Well, who are you going to believe? A website called "seattleorganicrestaurants"? They really trumpeted thatheadline. Or will you trust The Economist, one of the most respected publications in the world?

Consider your sources. If a website has a cheesy name that includes words like organic or natural -- go look elsewhere for your facts. Believe it or not, there's a whole lot of garbage published online. And don't cite The Daily Mail. It's a rag. People in America seem to think because it's British, it's a good source. The Mail isn't fit to wrap garbage in.

Indian farmers are not committing suidice over GMO crops.
GM crops, Indian farmers and suicide: GM genocide? | The Economist

Also, stop taking Food Babe seriously. Every word she utters is wrong.

Now here is that point where someone plays the shill card.....waiting....waiting....
You're a shill! Monsanto must be paying you to post here!

There, do you feel better now?

Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Three corgis ate 25 lbs or just Marcus? I have two dogs (65 lbs and 80 lbs) and they eat 28 lbs of dog food in about 3 weeks. I am guessing that Marcus didn't eat 25 lbs so would it be possible to just feed him the higher priced foods and feed them separately?

Old 03-18-2015, 04:42 PM

685 posts, read 720,379 times
I want a genetically flea and tick free dog. One that doesn't eat dog poop and other lovely items like that would be nice, too. But that's a dog for you.

I may try the home cooking deal for Marcus. I have the time, I need to stop the excuses and do some work looking into it. In the meantime, I'm trying Taste of the Wild that's grain-free (per the other thread, it was recommended). It also comes in 30 lb bags. I contacted the company because of the incomplete ingredients list on the packages. That's just part of really taking my time finding something else that will work for Marcus. Like ... I don't remember the brand that said this but the company responded they use MSG in their products. Nix nay on that. Taste of the Wild is not organic but it does have the major meats he can eat and vegs and no grains. The ingredients listed seemed better than Wellness (we used that and I don't remember why we quit - it wasn't the price).

We all do our best. If I could afford more, I get the little guy a better product.

Thank you all.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:13 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Here's a GMO free option for OP. Wild caught salmon cooked with quinoa and maybe some yam. There is no genetically modified quinoa or yams. Even rice would be OK, because the GMO golden rice that prevents blindness in the children of third world countries isn't sold in the USA.

Farm raised fish won't be GMO free and salmon can't be fed raw. All livestock is GMO free. We don't have any genetically modified livestock, but all the livestock will have been fed GMO containing feedstuff. The GMO free advocates won't eat meat that has been fed GMO grains.

Maybe OP could by her dogs a side of certified organic grass fed beef or lamb.

Still, none of that is going to cost less than $65 a month.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:32 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times
I don't know why people are so adamant about trying to force other people to embrace gmos and Monsanto.

Monsanto has had so many issues and lawsuits over the years that college courses on ethics use them as case studies.

If someone does not like chemical companies with long histories of corruption, or they don't like their food genetically altered and sprayed by for-profit chemical companies, that is their right as a human being to feel that way.

As for reducing your feed bill, try getting in the habit of feeding all food waste scraps to your animals. Only healthy whole foods that are good for them of course. Think about each piece of food that gets tossed off of your plate, or out of your fridge before trashing it. If it can provide great nutrition for your animals, it can also reduce your waste and feeds costs dramatically while providing fresh whole foods packed full of live enzymes.

I have never found an organic, non gmo kibble that was anywhere near affordable or even worth the price based on the ingredients. I have been feeding Taste of the Wild to many dogs over the last 8 years and hands-down have found it to be the most affordable and the dogs have done the best on it compared to anything else I have tried. This has been my experience feeding it over a long period of time, to man different dogs, pets, show dogs, breeding dogs, puppies, etc. No food over the years has come close to the TOS consistency and great results. This is in addition to raw, and human grade leftovers and kitchen scraps.

If I could actually find an organic and non gmo food that wasn't a complete rip of, I would switch.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM

439 posts, read 958,522 times
OP...Earthborn Holistic with Bison, grain free...working well for our GSD. our local feed store stocks it. Check prices at Chew's.com. Victor is good however to rich for our dog...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs