Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times

Advertisements

I'm lost here. I used to think whole grains were bad because they caused insulin spikes, etc. & thus dangers of diabetes/heart dis. Now I see we NEED them in diet. Paleolithic diets say no we don't. I eat all kind of beans like mung, kidney, black, pinto, northern & peas like green, etc. But I'm lost as to what is ok & what isn't?

Thanks for anyone understanding nutrition better than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
The paleolithic diet was great for people who lived in the paleolithic age: hunter/gatherers and cavemen.

Paleolithic man didn't have McDonald's. They didn't have 5pm deadlines. They didn't have rush hour traffic, or industrial pollution and man-made toxins in the air. They didn't have retin-a, or spandex. They didn't have toilet paper, or indoor plumbing, or cell phones. They didn't have coffee cake or ice cream. Their diet worked for them, because it was working for their lifestyle.

If you're planning on returning to the wild, getting your cardio exercise by hunting down and killing your own supper, gathering only what you need to eat and living in caves or mud huts, the paleolithic diet will work great for you.

If, however, you're planning on using your computer to tell everyone how well your diet is working and how you feel healthier than you have in decades, you might want to stick to something a little more civilized. Unprocessed foods ARE superior to processed foods, so in that, the paleolithic diet has some good points to it.

Also, a balance of carbs in the form of whole grains and vegetables, with no added sugars (except perhaps the teaspoon per package of yeast just to activate the yeast for your 5 loaves of whole-grain bread) - so no cakes, no desserts. No flour, no sugar. You -can- still have carbs. Just not in the form of processed flour or sugar.

I couldn't do it. I'm way too much of a bread-freak. So I have to cut down on other things, and exercise more. Sugar I can do without, except for the 2 teaspoons in my coffee first thing in the morning.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
My husband is diabetic, and they told him it was the simple carbohydrates (whole grains are complex carbohydrates) that cause bad insulin spikes. That's white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes, desserts.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
My husband is diabetic, and they told him it was the simple carbohydrates (whole grains are complex carbohydrates) that cause bad insulin spikes. That's white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes, desserts.

The exact items you listed make me crazy. I only eat sweet potatoes and LOTS of spinach now. Life is good........ now.

My doctor says that I am not a diabetic.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:44 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,290 times
basically to be healthy you need to eat a variety of healthy foods. Too much of a single thing is never a good thing. Things like whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, whole grain cereal, fruits, veges, lean meats or beans, milk, and lots and lots of water are exactly what a healthy body needs. More important than the actual food itself is the portion size. You are supposed to eat until you feel full, not until you feel stuffed. Drinking water plays a major role in eating healthy since a majority of us mistake hunger for thirst without even knowing it.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,500 times
It's simple carbs that are bad White bread and pasta etc. Complex carbs are good. 90% of the time my family eats whole grain bread and pasta. We really don't notice the difference in the pasta.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times
I'm not sure about ANY type grains. If you read doctors like Dr. Mercola's website you'll see very little need for grains. They cause insulin releases even in small amounts. I'm thinking a raw food diet of sprouts is best for health w/ limited fruit.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM

106 posts, read 287,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This is nonsense. It is a known fact that whole grains cause huge insulin spikes just like refined carbs. Whoever told him that is 100% incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
basically to be healthy you need to eat a variety of healthy foods. Too much of a single thing is never a good thing. Things like whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, whole grain cereal, fruits, veges, lean meats or beans, milk, and lots and lots of water are exactly what a healthy body needs. More important than the actual food itself is the portion size. You are supposed to eat until you feel full, not until you feel stuffed. Drinking water plays a major role in eating healthy since a majority of us mistake hunger for thirst without even knowing it.
No on whole grains and derivatives thereof. No on lean meats (fatty meats are superior), and no on beans (legumes). Also, 2% Homogenized Ultra Pasteurized milk is horrible. Drink raw milk from cow's fed on organic green grass pastures. If you don't have access to fresh raw milk, then organic full fat non homogenized and VAT pasteurized (as opposed to Ultra Pasteurized) is the next best option. Most local farms and smaller dairies offer this option in health food stores for slightly higher price. Also, water is good for sure, but if you drink too much water with your meals, you will not be properly digesting your food. This can cause nutrient deficiency, diarrhea, constipation, and all kinds of other gut problems.

Last edited by Jack Kronk; 04-25-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: word removal

Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
As you are chewing grains you are turning it into "refined" sugar.

You can think of white sugar from cane as "pre-chewed" carbs.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
No on lean meats (fatty meats are superior)
Now THAT is counterintuitive...

Don't you need lean, gamey, red meats like venison, wild bison, wild pig, etc. etc. to get a mega-dose of high density lipoprotein?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss