Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM

959 posts, read 1,825,401 times

Advertisements

I am a my wits end and about ready to throw in the towel on adopting a dog through a rescue group. I have emailed a few about dogs I am interested in....never heard anything back. I was asking them if the dog I was interested in was going to be at their adoption event they were having so you would think they could at least tell me that.

Then I find one that I am really interested in and email a rescue and ask them a little more about her. All I get back (almost right away actually) is I need to fill out an application. OK - I don't know why I need to fill out an application just to have you answer a few questions but I really like this dog so I go ahead and do it. About 10 minutes after I submit the application I get an email asking if I am open on Monday to meet the dog. I wrote back and told them that I had a few questions about the dog before I met her to make sure I am not wasting anyones time. I had about 5 questions about the dog. they were pretty basic questions like how long the dog had been with the rescue and things like that. I NEVER heard anything back from them. I am sorry, did it ANNOY you that I had a few questions about the dog? I mean, I answered about 100 of them (some very personal) so that you would actually communicate with me and now you cannot even answer some questions? WTH is with these people?

This last one is the 4th rescue group in the area that I have try to contact and I am about done. I don't want to go the breeder route but I am so sick of this! I just want a puppy for my family for crying out loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 02:19 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
How long with rescue may be a put off to people which is why they not answering you. Most dogs in rescue are Not locked in kennel waiting new home they with families ...foster care. Long term to some also make folks adopting feel something Wrong with the dog.... Could be the Right match hasn't came along. So quite worrying about that! MEET the dog See for yourself if its the right fit. IF you & the dog Click go for it!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How long with rescue may be a put off to people which is why they not answering you. Most dogs in rescue are Not locked in kennel waiting new home they with families ...foster care. Long term to some also make folks adopting feel something Wrong with the dog.... Could be the Right match hasn't came along. So quite worrying about that! MEET the dog See for yourself if its the right fit. IF you & the dog Click go for it!

Ok so my other questions, what is her activity level, how is potty training going, where is she kept when the foster is gone so that I know to do the same and keep consistent.....those are a turn off? Please! I think asking me if I plan to have kids in the next 10 years is off-putting but I still answered the question!

The reason I asked how long the dog has been with rescue is that the foster would know a lot more about a dog that has been there a month rather than 2 days. So I like to know that and I have no idea how you would be put off by that question.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Don't get me started about rescue groups. If you keep looking on Petfinder for a particular breed, if that's what you want, you will eventually find one at a shelter. At least that is what happened for me. I was hoping to find a rat terrier, and I did find one at a county animal shelter. They didn't care if I lived in an apartment without a yard. Charged me $35 to adopt her, they even gave me a vet certificate, free microchipping, heartworm test, etc.

You won't get detailed info, but you can go meet the dog, play with him/her in a yard usually, ask the staff what they know. Mine was super friendly to everyone, and was apparently house trained because she would hold it until they walked her. I had the option to take her back if it didn't work out.

Best dog I ever had. Takes more patience to find what you're looking for, but the shelters will even thank you and not put you through the ringer or charge you an arm and a leg.

I had one rescue group who wouldn't let me adopt a senior ex-show papillon because they said a yard was required - end of story. Sheesh. And I'm retired with all the time in the world to walk a dog.

A friend of mine was hoping to find a young lab or mostly lab mix, and she had the same problem with rescue groups, and had to keep hurrying to shelters to try and get a dog before someone else snatched it, but she did eventually get a wonderful black lab mix from a county shelter near her.

Good luck. Check the shelters. That's usually where the rescue groups get their dogs anyway. You just have to get there first. Let them know what you are looking for. My impression is that the shelters don't love these rescue groups, and they'd probably be happy to call you when your breed shows up.

My rat terrier was found with a Boston Terrier, and the Boston Terrier rescue group snatched up the Boston and left my rat terrier to live or die. Yeah, don't get me started...they take the ones they can sell to the highest bidders, IMO.

Anyway, petfinder.com is how I found my Jackie at a county shelter.

https://www.petfinder.com/

Also, check your county shelter websites and call them, too, every day. You'll find your puppy.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Don't get me started about rescue groups. If you keep looking on Petfinder for a particular breed, if that's what you want, you will eventually find one at a shelter. At least that is what happened for me. I was hoping to find a rat terrier, and I did find one at a county animal shelter. They didn't care if I lived in an apartment without a yard. Charged me $35 to adopt her, they even gave me a vet certificate, free microchipping, heartworm test, etc.

You won't get detailed info, but you can go meet the dog, play with him/her in a yard usually, ask the staff what they know. Mine was super friendly to everyone, and was apparently house trained because she would hold it until they walked her. I had the option to take her back if it didn't work out.

Best dog I ever had. Takes more patience to find what you're looking for, but the shelters will even thank you and not put you through the ringer or charge you an arm and a leg.

I had one rescue group who wouldn't let me adopt a senior ex-show papillon because they said a yard was required - end of story. Sheesh. And I'm retired with all the time in the world to walk a dog.

A friend of mine was hoping to find a young lab or mostly lab mix, and she had the same problem with rescue groups, and had to keep hurrying to shelters to try and get a dog before someone else snatched it, but she did eventually get a wonderful black lab mix from a county shelter near her.

Good luck. Check the shelters. That's usually where the rescue groups get their dogs anyway. You just have to get there first. Let them know what you are looking for. My impression is that the shelters don't love these rescue groups, and they'd probably be happy to call you when your breed shows up.

My rat terrier was found with a Boston Terrier, and the Boston Terrier rescue group snatched up the Boston and left my rat terrier to live or die. Yeah, don't get me started...they take the ones they can sell to the highest bidders, IMO.

Anyway, petfinder.com is how I found my Jackie at a county shelter.

https://www.petfinder.com/

Also, check your county shelter websites and call them, too, every day. You'll find your puppy.
Thanks so much for the advice! I will do that for sure. I am not in a hurry, but I do want a puppy and hate the frustration that is coming with the rescue way.

I am looking for a puppy (no older than a year), female and any mix of lab, springer, or golden. No bully breed. I got my current dog 14 years ago at a humane society in IN (I live in MN and drove to get him) so I am not afraid to travel!

I will keep checking petfinder!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
as an adopter you have every right to ask as many questions as possible about the dog and why that would irritate a rescue group to me is a big red flag and to maybe look and talk to some other ones and forget this one . I have always said if a rescue is afraid to answer ?s to a prospective adopter there is something wrong there . Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for .

Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Ok so my other questions, what is her activity level, how is potty training going, where is she kept when the foster is gone so that I know to do the same and keep consistent.....those are a turn off? Please! I think asking me if I plan to have kids in the next 10 years is off-putting but I still answered the question!

The reason I asked how long the dog has been with rescue is that the foster would know a lot more about a dog that has been there a month rather than 2 days. So I like to know that and I have no idea how you would be put off by that question.
You would need to meet the dog to see if you even liked the dog in person. These are fine questions but they would be answered as a matter of course when you met the dog and foster-parent, so I guess to me they are a little like putting the cart before the horse.

The reason they ask you if you plan on having children in the next 10 years is because one of the top 5 reasons people give for giving up their dog is because they are expecting a child, have had a child, or the child takes up their entire life and they no longer have time for a dog. A perfectly valid question from a rescue standpoint.

One of the benefits of adopting from a reputable rescue is that the dogs are in temporary foster homes getting basic obedience training, temperament testing, and sorting out any behavioral issues. Thus the foster parents will be able to tell you a lot about the dog. The rescue wants to be sure that the dog is going to a home that is appropriate for that particular dog.

Additionally, rescues are 99% run by volunteers, so it may take time for someone to get back to you.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Don't get me started about rescue groups.

Rescues know their dogs. There may have been a valid reason why they wouldn't adopt out to someone without a yard. I have had foster dogs that I wouldn't let go to certain homes because the home didn't have the minimum needed to keep that particular dog happy, e.g. a fenced yard for a high energy dog to run and play in off-leash.

There are good and bad rescues- the majority are run by volunteers who truly put their heart and soul into getting the dogs ready to be adopted and want to ensure they go to good homes.

About the shelter system- rescues need to get the dogs out of the shelters for multiple reasons including many shelters are kill-shelters, certain dogs simply don't do well in shelter situations- they shut down and become depressed or they go kennel crazy, etc.

It is unfortunate that you have had a bad experience with rescues, but as someone who has worked in various aspects of rescue doing rehabilitation, training, and fostering for almost 10 years, I think it does an enormous disservice to the good ones to paint them all with the same brush. I have spent countless hours working with the dogs I take on, often spending my own money to get them on a good diet and/or medical care. I am not a rich person by any means, but these dogs are precious to me, and I do whatever I need to in order to get them adoptable. So please, think twice before you discourage anybody from adopting from a rescue and try to understand that their requirements may seem arbitrary, we know our dogs and what they need better than anybody, and we do our best to be sure it is a good match that will last for the dog's lifetime.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,933 times
Go with a local shelter if you don't care if you have a purebred. You may not get as much info, but myself and others I know have gotten real nice dogs from shelters. Some Rescues seem snotty and harder to deal with. Now some may say its for good reason, but I find them too picky. I think some of their reasons for turning down people are a bit much. I have a friend of mine who is an EXCELLENT..I mean EXCELLENT..owner, and they denied him because he said he might put the dog out on a runner to use the bathroom once in a while instead of just out in the yard. He now has two dogs whom he takes GREAT care of that he got from shelters. I mean this guy is a GREAT owner. Some rescues are too snobbish and holier than thou. This is *my* opinion. I'm pretty knowledgeable about dogs and what specific breeds I want so now I go the breeder route. You can certainly do that if you like. Just do your research on the breeder. I took my time and researched breeders and I have a 10 year old and a 1 yr old (different breeds) from breeders, and I'm very happy with both.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
WOW Just because a Boston Rescue wouldn't take on a Rat Terrier Dose not make them Bad! Most breed rescues are folks that Breed the Breed they rescue. To deal with totally different breed makes it that much harder for the breed they not use to to find the correct home. Different breeds have different health checks & temperament checks to go thru. IF I was to die & my son couldn't take care of my 2 dogs & EXPECT him to find a Corgi Rescue for Katie & a Papillion Rescue for Lady Not send BOTH to the same rescue. They need Different care.... they have totally different Temperaments. They Both have a better chance apart than together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs