Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 PM

83 posts, read 114,744 times

Advertisements

I tried to adopt an 8yr old Border Collie for my 10yr old Border Collie as a companion to her. Drove 4hrs to see her at their adoption event. Asked questions over email but was told to fill out an app. So after I get there, look at the dog and fall in love with her, I fill out the application on site.
Was denied because I lived 4hrs away because they didn't have a volunteer willing to drive that far for a home visit. Complete waste of time, this could have been answered in my original email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 06:25 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
I tried to adopt an 8yr old Border Collie for my 10yr old Border Collie as a companion to her. Drove 4hrs to see her at their adoption event. Asked questions over email but was told to fill out an app. So after I get there, look at the dog and fall in love with her, I fill out the application on site.
Was denied because I lived 4hrs away because they didn't have a volunteer willing to drive that far for a home visit. Complete waste of time, this could have been answered in my original email.
So did you start volunteering with that rescue, and do home visits in your area?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So did you start volunteering with that rescue, and do home visits in your area?
That was kinda rude.

While many people are willing to adopt, some don't have the time (or the ability) to volunteer. For me, I could never foster because the reality is, the foster would be adopted - by ME! I simply am not made to be a temporary mom.

The point is, volunteering takes an emotional toll too. And some people simply are not able to do that. It sounds to me like the Border Collie rescue lost out on a forever home for one of their dogs...and that is what is sad.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
The job of rescue is not to supply you with a dog, or make your life easy. It's to ensure that that dogs in their care get the best possible home. Having been at the other end of the spectrum, picking up another dog because the people that owned it were moving and couldn't take the dog, or had a child and don't want the dog any more, or having a rescue turned back in because they were too "fill in the blank", you'd be a little burnt out with people that demand you do things a certain way because they're just trying to get a dog.
This sums it up.

Several people here have voiced their lack of regard for rescues because they have had a "bad" experience with one or two rescues. You have variously asserted that you are experienced, good, caring dog people who just want a dog to provide a good home to. What do you think every applicant for a dog says? That they are going to lock the dog in a crate 12 hours a day, feed it crap food, not train it, never exercise it, or surrender it as soon as said dog doesn't live up to the adopter's expectations? People who work in rescue have heard it all- horror stories from friends, relatives, people at work who through the normal course of conversation think it is appropriate to throw a puppy against a wall and break its jaw because it looked at owner's sandwich, dogs who live in garages, people who think that frightened confused dogs need to be taught who is boss, people who work 15 hours a day so their dog lives in the backyard, someone who withholds vet care because she is saving for her wedding- all of these conversations and more heard at work from otherwise decent people who would say they absolutely LOVE their dogs and are good owners.

How do you suggest rescues ensure a good home for a dog if not to ask a potential adopter to complete paperwork? And if you don't have time to fill out that paperwork or to drive to see a dog then how do you imagine you will make a good dog owner?

Unfortunately, many-not all, but many- rescues are made up of average dog lovers who don't really have formal experience either with training or behavioral issues. This is hopefully changing. I absolutely take issue with rescues who are just "warehousing" dogs until they can find them homes or irresponsible rescues who engage in disreputable practices, BUT- at least most of them are trying to do something to help, no matter their lack of experience or judgment. I have gone toe to toe and had drag out fights with the founders of rescues who have done utterly thoughtless and irresponsible things, and I have volunteered with what I came to learn was an irresponsible rescue. But I don't regret a minute of it because it isn't supposed to be about ME it is about helping the dogs.

Ask anybody who owns a dog or who wants a dog if they will be a good dog owner and they will say yes of course, but the fact is that about 75% of the population who owns a dog or who want a dog have absolutely no idea what it takes to actually provide a dog with what it needs to be happy and thrive. So forgive me if I don't buy that all the people who are denied adoption have been denied on ridiculous, arbitrary, or frivolous grounds. I know better. Someone out there is surrendering their dogs when it becomes inconvenient or when they become unmanageable because a "good and experienced" dog owner doesn't want to train their dog or doesn't recognize that their dog didn't bite because it was "dominant" but because it was terrified and after trying hard to tell its owner that the dog's final recourse to protect itself was to bite.

Several people who work/volunteer with rescues or shelters have posted here about the difficulties they face, but not a single person here, having been made aware of this has said "how can I help"?

So- you should all be grateful that we are looking out for these dogs; we may not be doing it in the way that you joe public would like because you didn't get the dog you wanted, but at least we have the dog's best interests at heart which is more than I can say for some of you who posted.

Let me say this loud and clear because apparently nobody has taken the time to actually read the posts from people like me who volunteer in rescue::::
IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU GETTING THE FLUFFY DOG YOU HAVE YOUR HEART SET ON; IT IS ABOUT GETTING THE DOG A GOOD SAFE FOREVER HOME.

So if you really have the dog's best interests at heart, then you have a number of choices including 1) understanding that we just want what is best for the dog and hard as it is for you to swallow, that best thing might not be YOU in this particular case with this particular dog, 2) volunteering for a local rescue to try to gain an understanding of what rescues are trying to accomplish and gain insight into what the challenges are, 3) try to understand that we are all imperfect people who are doing a difficult job in trying to take care of dogs that have been abandoned, were objects of torture/cruelty, whose owners died, or who weren't properly cared for, and have compassion and empathy because if you don't have that then no you don't deserve to adopt a dog.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
That was kinda rude.

While many people are willing to adopt, some don't have the time (or the ability) to volunteer. For me, I could never foster because the reality is, the foster would be adopted - by ME! I simply am not made to be a temporary mom.

The point is, volunteering takes an emotional toll too. And some people simply are not able to do that. It sounds to me like the Border Collie rescue lost out on a forever home for one of their dogs...and that is what is sad.
No, it isn't rude; it was a reasonable question.

You don't have what it takes to volunteer- not even to make phone calls or go to events- but you are willing and able to criticize those of us who find the emotional strength and time to do these things because the alternative of NOT volunteering is even worse.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:41 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
This sums it up.

Several people here have voiced their lack of regard for rescues because they have had a "bad" experience with one or two rescues. You have variously asserted that you are experienced, good, caring dog people who just want a dog to provide a good home to. What do you think every applicant for a dog says? That they are going to lock the dog in a crate 12 hours a day, feed it crap food, not train it, never exercise it, or surrender it as soon as said dog doesn't live up to the adopter's expectations? People who work in rescue have heard it all- horror stories from friends, relatives, people at work who through the normal course of conversation think it is appropriate to throw a puppy against a wall and break its jaw because it looked at owner's sandwich, dogs who live in garages, people who think that frightened confused dogs need to be taught who is boss, people who work 15 hours a day so their dog lives in the backyard, someone who withholds vet care because she is saving for her wedding- all of these conversations and more heard at work from otherwise decent people who would say they absolutely LOVE their dogs and are good owners.

How do you suggest rescues ensure a good home for a dog if not to ask a potential adopter to complete paperwork? And if you don't have time to fill out that paperwork or to drive to see a dog then how do you imagine you will make a good dog owner?

Unfortunately, many-not all, but many- rescues are made up of average dog lovers who don't really have formal experience either with training or behavioral issues. This is hopefully changing. I absolutely take issue with rescues who are just "warehousing" dogs until they can find them homes or irresponsible rescues who engage in disreputable practices, BUT- at least most of them are trying to do something to help, no matter their lack of experience or judgment. I have gone toe to toe and had drag out fights with the founders of rescues who have done utterly thoughtless and irresponsible things, and I have volunteered with what I came to learn was an irresponsible rescue. But I don't regret a minute of it because it isn't supposed to be about ME it is about helping the dogs.

Ask anybody who owns a dog or who wants a dog if they will be a good dog owner and they will say yes of course, but the fact is that about 75% of the population who owns a dog or who want a dog have absolutely no idea what it takes to actually provide a dog with what it needs to be happy and thrive. So forgive me if I don't buy that all the people who are denied adoption have been denied on ridiculous, arbitrary, or frivolous grounds. I know better. Someone out there is surrendering their dogs when it becomes inconvenient or when they become unmanageable because a "good and experienced" dog owner doesn't want to train their dog or doesn't recognize that their dog didn't bite because it was "dominant" but because it was terrified and after trying hard to tell its owner that the dog's final recourse to protect itself was to bite.

Several people who work/volunteer with rescues or shelters have posted here about the difficulties they face, but not a single person here, having been made aware of this has said "how can I help"?

So- you should all be grateful that we are looking out for these dogs; we may not be doing it in the way that you joe public would like because you didn't get the dog you wanted, but at least we have the dog's best interests at heart which is more than I can say for some of you who posted.

Let me say this loud and clear because apparently nobody has taken the time to actually read the posts from people like me who volunteer in rescue::::
IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU GETTING THE FLUFFY DOG YOU HAVE YOUR HEART SET ON; IT IS ABOUT GETTING THE DOG A GOOD SAFE FOREVER HOME.

So if you really have the dog's best interests at heart, then you have a number of choices including 1) understanding that we just want what is best for the dog and hard as it is for you to swallow, that best thing might not be YOU in this particular case with this particular dog, 2) volunteering for a local rescue to try to gain an understanding of what rescues are trying to accomplish and gain insight into what the challenges are, 3) try to understand that we are all imperfect people who are doing a difficult job in trying to take care of dogs that have been abandoned, were objects of torture/cruelty, whose owners died, or who weren't properly cared for, and have compassion and empathy because if you don't have that then no you don't deserve to adopt a dog.

In all of that, I never saw you address the issue I am having most and what others have stated....they never even heard back from the rescue even after filling out the paperwork and contacting more than once. How are they even supposed to KNOW if we are a good fit for any dog if they don't even get back to us? Not even one email from them!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
That was kinda rude.

Not sure how that was rude.

But here IS rude - complaining that a volunteer organization doesn't have the manpower to fulfill a need, bad mouthing that organization because of that, but not stepping up and helping out.

I don't have the time, room, energy, not cut our for it, blah, blah, blah. News flash: people like you are why rescues are short handed. Because someone else is always the one that has to do the work, not you.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
In all of that, I never saw you address the issue I am having most and what others have stated....they never even heard back from the rescue even after filling out the paperwork and contacting more than once. How are they even supposed to KNOW if we are a good fit for any dog if they don't even get back to us? Not even one email from them!
I'm guessing because there was something on that application that was a red flag. And most rescues will not "get back to you" because a) there just aren't enough hours in the day, b) they've learned through the years that if they do let someone know why they didn't get accepted, that person will just lie on the next application to the next rescue group, and c) the chances are good that the dog you were interested in had already been adopted and contacting the 20 people that wanted that "one" dog is too time consuming.

A friend of mine was getting a new dog, and was agonizing over which puppy to pick out of a litter. I finally told her that it doesn't matter, because it's all a crap shoot. You get the dog that is in front of you, then live with that decision. And from then on, that dog will be the BEST dog, because they are YOUR dog.

I rescued a dog last January (yes, I practice what I preach). I filled out an application (in spite of being in another rescue group for years), did a home check (in spite of having fostered dogs for another rescue group for years) and did a phone interview. The rescue group looked through their available dogs (she wasn't on their website, because most rescue groups can't keep up with updating their site - dogs just come and go too quickly) and found one that fit my criteria. I went and saw her, but knew she'd go home with me. Because is just didn't matter. All dogs have pluses and minuses, all dogs are products of their new environment, and all dogs can be trained.

So freaking out and bad mouthing a rescue because the one dog you had your heart set on is not available to you is ridiculous. They're ALL great dogs. And after many years in your care, they will become the "best dog you've ever had" because they are YOUR'S.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,106 times
Quote:
I'm guessing because there was something on that application that was a red flag. And most rescues will not "get back to you" because a) there just aren't enough hours in the day, b) they've learned through the years that if they do let someone know why they didn't get accepted, that person will just lie on the next application to the next rescue group, and c) the chances are good that the dog you were interested in had already been adopted and contacting the 20 people that wanted that "one" dog is too time consuming.

A friend of mine was getting a new dog, and was agonizing over which puppy to pick out of a litter. I finally told her that it doesn't matter, because it's all a crap shoot. You get the dog that is in front of you, then live with that decision. And from then on, that dog will be the BEST dog, because they are YOUR dog.

I rescued a dog last January (yes, I practice what I preach). I filled out an application (in spite of being in another rescue group for years), did a home check (in spite of having fostered dogs for another rescue group for years) and did a phone interview. The rescue group looked through their available dogs (she wasn't on their website, because most rescue groups can't keep up with updating their site - dogs just come and go too quickly) and found one that fit my criteria. I went and saw her, but knew she'd go home with me. Because is just didn't matter. All dogs have pluses and minuses, all dogs are products of their new environment, and all dogs can be trained.

So freaking out and bad mouthing a rescue because the one dog you had your heart set on is not available to you is ridiculous. They're ALL great dogs. And after many years in your care, they will become the "best dog you've ever had" because they are YOUR'S.

Sorry, but I call BS on this.

I dont' have infants or toddlers.

I have owned dogs my whole life. I am 40 and there has never been a time whereI have not had a dog in my life.

My current dog is 14 and I have had him since he was 5 months old. I drove from MN to IN just to go get him from a shelter there.

I live in a large home with a fenced in backyard.

I am not set on any particular dog - I just want A puppy that is a female.

Gee.....I must be a horrible adopter!

I don't also don't agree that the dog does not matter. I want to meet the dog because I am a firm believer that the dog picks it family, not the other way around. So I want to meet the dog to see how it feels about US.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Not sure how that was rude.

But here IS rude - complaining that a volunteer organization doesn't have the manpower to fulfill a need, bad mouthing that organization because of that, but not stepping up and helping out.

I don't have the time, room, energy, not cut our for it, blah, blah, blah. News flash: people like you are why rescues are short handed. Because someone else is always the one that has to do the work, not you.

You did read my post where I said I did volunteer at one time, right?

I'm not complaining about any organization nor am I badmouthing them, except to say that sometimes they have regulated and red-taped themselves out of potential adopters. If this were not the case, would so many people be so frustrated with rescue groups? How many times do we see folks complaining about rescues and then we wonder why they choose to buy a puppy from the ad in the paper. IMO this is why the back-yard breeders and puppy mills are still in business, because it's easy to get a dog from them.

It's not right, but that is the way it is.

I know the work that volunteers do, I understand and commisserate and even applaud those who can be fosters - however not everyone can do it. I choose to contribute in other ways (donations, etc) - I guess that's not good enough, though, is it?

Some of the volunteers posting here perhaps need to rethink things a bit. If the volunteers are too busy to help these dogs find FOREVER homes by responding to emails and requests for information, perhaps something is wrong. Shouldn't that be the first priority for these dogs? To find permanent homes?

Ah well...this is why I no longer volunteer with the organizations - the need for so many of the volunteers to be martyrs of sorts. The dogs are the ones who suffer. I'll continue to adopt my dogs from shelters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs