Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,494,758 times

Advertisements

In summation- Brandy was in quarantine at a shelter 70 miles from my house. She was in for six months because the dipwads that got her off craigslist six years ago never took her to a vet, she had no shots, and was bitten by a raccoon. She's 14 and otherwise in excellent health. Animal control gal got her signed over to the shelter and I adopted her on Saturday. Talked to her all the way home and let her into the fenced yard to meet the others. She was having such a blast in the yard, that I had to urge her in to eat, so I let her out again and went for her dish. When I took it out, she was gone, and the fence latch was off just enough for her to squeeze out the gap in the gate. (She's a 25-kb little mutt, brown with white markings, sort of spaniel colored).
I immediately went driving all around the neighborhood, talked to everyone I saw and then signed up with a sort of Amber Alert service for lost dogs- for 525 people in my neighborhood to get a call about her. (I got the log- about 4/5 of those called either spoke to or got a message). Around 10 at night, when she'd been gone for about six hours, someone called me from slightly down the road, that she was in the wooded area between houses. I ran out (nightgown and jeans) and several neighbors were out with flashlights and they were scaring her to death. She ran across the woods and out onto a side road. I jumped in my car, turned the corner, and saw her very clearly, standing frozen. I got out of the car and called her and she bolted. In summation, she was last seen Saturday night in that area.

Her friends at the shelter came up yesterday and literally beat the bushes in the woods calling for her for hours. Another woman came up today and walked the neighborhood with flyers and one woman only three houses away (and on the edge of a conservation wooded area) said she'd seen Brandy a couple of days ago, circling the yard, then taking off.

I am relieved that she returned to the immediate vicinity of my house after being scared away from it. I am sure she is somewhere in the neighborhood. I even talked to an animal communicator (telepathy) that's how desperate I am. Now, I am skeptical about people who claim to be telepathic, but she said that Brandy is near, confused and wanting to come home but confused. Not injured, not suffering, and drinking from a small creek (there's such water spots all over the wooded area). The person who came up today gave flyers to everyone within a few streets and urged me to continue to do the same. I notified the emergency vets and two major animal hospitals nearby and faxed flyers to them. Today's volunteer brought a load of bedding from the shelter and we strewed it around my property (all sides, including the woods) and I put out a dish of her food on the driveway near a sheltered spot, and added her bedding from the shelter. (I put out food the first night she was gone, nothing happened. The second night, it disappeared, but could have been any number of critters).

She is wearing rabies tags from Rhode Island, one from 2008, one from 2013. The vet service that issued the tag is listed on the tag, and I'm told that any official place that got her, like an animal hospital, would know to contact that vet, who is on alert for a call.

I let my dogs out in the yard and let them bark in case their noise is familiar. She seemed fine with my dogs in the two hours she was here, even playing with the little terrier I just got.

I know she is a shy dog and was very upset by what happened Saturday night, with people chasing her with flashlights, and all. My hope is that she is calmer now and might come to me if she came near my house or recognized the food/bedding/dogs from her brief time here Saturday. It seems clear that she is circling the vicinity, since she went out of the vicinity when scared on Saturday, and then returned here. The RI people feel she will only come to them and want to find her and approach her and catch her. I am thinking that she might come to me or my property or something. I also have an animal control gal who will help me with a trap if we think she is coming onto the property in the dark or something.

I can't think of anything else to do. Oh, the animal communicator told me a detail about my house's setting and location (and where Brandy was) that she couldn't have guessed- it's an odd setting and that was one thing she told me that she couldn't have known except by her telepathy. I think Brandy will eventually come to the property and accept coming into the yard or even coming to me. The RI people think they will have to get a phone call at the time of a sighting and race the 70 miles to hunt for her.

Would a dog be so shy that she would starve rather than approach a stranger? I am hoping that when she circles someone's yard, she might be enticed into their garage or onto their porch by food. I mean, I know she's shy in general, but she didn't seem that distressed when we first met when I picked her up. She was terrified by the Saturday night hunt of her, and I think the neighborhood blew it, but we so didn't want her to get out of sight.

If you've read this far, thank you. I am not sure if I am letting the RI people down by not walking the neighborhood constantly, whereas I feel that she will come to the property or another stranger when ready. I am not too worried about coyotes in the forest area, since she is likely sticking to the edge of woods near houses and not going deep into the woods.

Every time my dogs bark, I run to the windows. I really think she is nearby. Opinions are appreciated if you've read this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,628,511 times
Oh so sorry for you and Brandy. You are going WAAAAAAAY beyond anything I could imagine for a lost dog search--especially since she's was only home for 2 hours before escaping. How heartwrenching for you to see her, spot her, yet she scared and runs away from all of your trying to help her.

That's so cool that you've go your search party on alert and so many are so willing/able to help.

I don't have any advice other than can you take one of your dogs out for a walk and see if that dog's scent might draw Brandy out to see/smell what creature is near her?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM

That's an idea. I've been letting my dogs make more noise in the yard than usual to see if she's attracted to it. She likes other dogs and is used to them being around. I've also been standing in the yard by the woods and calling for her. One of the RI people was here earlier and heard my dog Benny hooting in the yard (his "alert" bark) and she said she thought she heard Brandy's bark, too. I am sure she's nearby. The RI people are so frantic it is hard for me to be patient and assume that she will show up. I am remembering that, when I picked her up at the shelter, she was very eager to get in the car. If she comes anywhere near, maybe she'll get in the car if I'm far away from it and her treat bag is in the car. (The car reeks of bacon treats, whew).
I can't help but feel I'm letting the RI people down by not casing the neighborhood the same way. They are so upset. I'm quite distressed, too, but think that Brandy is nearby and will approach the house or another person when she's ready. Again, I ask, would a dog starve near people rather than approach them? I don't think she's that shy.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,696,499 times
I really wish you good luck, what a sad account!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,387,735 times
My heart was racing as I read all that, Bright! You are a godsend for adopting her, and I know she will be found safe and sound so she can live out her life with you. I was happy to read you consulted a communicator. I woudln't ever discount the reading of a good communicator. I don't think a dog would starve, but you never know what makes a dog, especially one with 14 years behind her -- tuck and bolt from people. I pray she is found.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,394,072 times
It is likely that she WILL return to your place. I say that based on the following 2 experiences with foster dogs.

1. I pulled a dog from pound and took it to the home of the person who would be fostering it. She had just a couple of minutes to say hi to the dog before she had to leave for work. Dog was placed in an outdoor run. A bad thunderstorm came up later that evening and the dog escaped. Several members of the HS spent a lot of time driving around the area in hopes of spotting her but no luck. Several MONTHS later she showed back up at the home of the person who was fostering her, even though she had only been there for a couple of hours at most.

2. Another member of the HS was getting married and the ceremony and reception were being held on their property. To help lighten the load just a bit a couple of us each took one of her foster dogs for a day or two. The one I took had a similar experience to the dog above in that a short but loud thunder storm came up and she freaked and got out while I was at the wedding site helping with prep so when I got home she was gone. Spent some time looking for her but it was dark and this is rural country so no street lights and homes are not close together.

The next day when I got up there she was, even though she'd only been at my place for a few hours.

So I think that there is every reason for you to be hopeful.

Remind (or teach) people who are looking for and spot her NOT to run after her but to stop, turn sideways, not look at her and maybe even sit down, wrap arms around their legs and put their head down on their knees so that they are not looking at her at all and whimper like a little puppy ( this technique has worked for me numerous times when a dog is close but will not come close enough to catch at first). Don't lunge at her as soon as she does come close but see if you can move a little bit and and have her not freak and move away. Give her a minute to see that you are not a threat and then move slowly to get hold of her.

I hope that you will be back soon to report that she is home, safe and sound and happy.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,387,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
It is likely that she WILL return to your place. I say that based on the following 2 experiences with foster dogs.

1. I pulled a dog from pound and took it to the home of the person who would be fostering it. She had just a couple of minutes to say hi to the dog before she had to leave for work. Dog was placed in an outdoor run. A bad thunderstorm came up later that evening and the dog escaped. Several members of the HS spent a lot of time driving around the area in hopes of spotting her but no luck. Several MONTHS later she showed back up at the home of the person who was fostering her, even though she had only been there for a couple of hours at most.

2. Another member of the HS was getting married and the ceremony and reception were being held on their property. To help lighten the load just a bit a couple of us each took one of her foster dogs for a day or two. The one I took had a similar experience to the dog above in that a short but loud thunder storm came up and she freaked and got out while I was at the wedding site helping with prep so when I got home she was gone. Spent some time looking for her but it was dark and this is rural country so no street lights and homes are not close together.

The next day when I got up there she was, even though she'd only been at my place for a few hours.

So I think that there is every reason for you to be hopeful.

Remind (or teach) people who are looking for and spot her NOT to run after her but to stop, turn sideways, not look at her and maybe even sit down, wrap arms around their legs and put their head down on their knees so that they are not looking at her at all and whimper like a little puppy ( this technique has worked for me numerous times when a dog is close but will not come close enough to catch at first). Don't lunge at her as soon as she does come close but see if you can move a little bit and and have her not freak and move away. Give her a minute to see that you are not a threat and then move slowly to get hold of her.

I hope that you will be back soon to report that she is home, safe and sound and happy.

This is such great advice. Body language when approaching a frightened dog -- it's critical. I would add that when she does get close to someone, they get her attention and turn and walk slowly away from her. Dangling a piece of steak as they walk away wouldn't hurt either. She might follow alongside, and then they can take hold of her collar. Easy. Does. It.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Great suggestions. She loves Begging Strips, and when I take a dog for a walk in "her" area, I'm carrying strips and flyers. Those were both very hopeful stories, thank you. The body language is really great advice.

I feel calm that she will turn up, but the people who rescued her in RI are convinced she'll only come to them and they have to find her in person. (I'm just so relieved that the weather isn't bad in any way). I set out her only favorite food, water, and her bedding from the shelter in a sort of sheltered area a bit away from the house and left the light on. If the food is gone (I'm working nights) I'm looking into getting a surveillance camera for a month rental to see if it's her coming over at night (certainly could be a skunk or whatever).

Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 AM

259 posts, read 671,755 times
This seems obvious but do you take your other dogs with you on your search? Our rescue loves his 'brother' the most.

Additionally, but maybe a little late, it's always a good idea to walk a new dog through the neighborhood so they can learn where home is.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM

I haven't been hoofing through the neighborhood, but I am going to walk one of my dogs on the morning. With new dogs, I usually let everyone meet in the yard, and go in and out of the house a few times. This dog, after six months of quarantine, was so thrilled to run in a yard, she just wanted to run (and rest- after all, she's 14).But the "getting accustomed" walk is a good idea.
If when I get this dog back, she's not getting out of the house forever. She'll have to learn to pee on papers. How can I ever take my eyes off her?! Still hoping she'll figure it out, and the above foster stories are very heartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs