Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,361,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
not a whole lot of help but could wet the ground around the food dish-just enough for whatever to make foot prints.
I think that's a great idea, so at least they would know if it's a canine eating the food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,361,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you. The flyers thing is almost completely done, and the supermarket posted one on its board. More bacon strips keep disappearing from the bowl outside but whoever is eating them gets scared off when my dogs start barking. I'm still waiting for the "critter camera" to be delivered so I can see if it's Brandy eating the strips and then will consider setting a humane trap from Animal Control.
I know she's around nearby and hiding. She is. Thanks for the good wishes.
I am hoping for a Murphy's Law scenario where the instant your critter cam shows up and all the flyers are neatly in place -- she wander back to you.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM

30,557 posts, read 16,251,943 times
another maybe futile suggestion: she really didn't have time to bond with you. When you look for her, take one of your dogs. Maybe keep walking that dog along a path where she was seen and then of course back home.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Taking another dog w/ you to look for her is a good idea, we were about to do that when ours went missing (for a couple of hrs), in fact I went home to bring out her pal when my husband walked in w/ her, whether it w/h worked, Im not sure but it might work in this case although they didnt have time to bond either but I think they can relate to another dog sometimes more so than ppl (we had 2 other dogs at the time near her age but this one was closer in age to her and fairly calm and they usually slept together), it was sad, she was so spooked and wanted no part of us (even though we were crouching down and calling her in soft, happy tones, I even had a box of Milkbones I was gently shaking, to no avail), he didnt want to grab her in case he missed (no collar or harness at the time) but he did and thankfully it worked.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I set up the critter cam with beggin' bacon strips (her only favorite). If I see that it's her that's been picking at them, I'll set up a humane trap. She's been so spooked, I don't know if she'd even go to the RI rescue woman who knows her for the last six months. I've been putting her dish on the bottom step by my driveway, so not too close to the house. *Someone* has been taking the bacon strips in the morning. Unfortunately, I think I scared away a raccoon today after bacon strips disappeared twice before noon- saw a tail disappearing into the brush, and it didn't have a white tip. But no one has touched the dish since then. I came to my third-shift job with the camera on and bacon strips in the dish.
I have thought she might get in the car- when I got her at the shelter, she jumped right in with me on the leash, of course, she hadn't been scared by a posse chasing her then. I don't think she'd be more impressed with me plus a dog, although she did play with my manic new terrier (a youngster of six years). Also, she seems to be traversing the neighborhood on woods paths and I get poison ivy to a serious extent.
We are still hoping for one more sighting or camera pic to know where to set up a humane trap. Thank you all for suggestions and wishes, again.
The one saving grace has been how nice and concerned so many people have been, both in my neighborhood and online. It's a real saving grace in every sense of the word.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,605,804 times
Any luck with critter cam yet? Can you move the dog dish with the Beggin' Strips about a foot or so closer to your house each night?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I sure hope she shows up dear please let us know if she shows up .

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM

7,384 posts, read 12,685,905 times
Checking the thread every day to see if there's good news from Bright...sending good thoughts...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:08 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
She's been missing for 11 days now. Multiple sightings over the long weekend, all in the same neighborhood. I think half the town is looking for her but the issue is that she won't go to anyone, probably including me. (The phone rings with a sighting, I run to the spot, don't see her). She almost came to a person the other day- stopped when the woman called her, but then looked as if, "forget it, you're a stranger." She was no longer panicked, just shy.
Yesterday I got two quick sightings that were really too far away to make sense, given her age and where she'd been seen over the weekend. Then I got a third call that made sense with the far geography, but the guy said the dog is saw looked a lot younger and had a red collar. I asked about that twice. Brandy has a green collar and it's still on with her rabies tags according to yesterday's sightings.

My critter cam proudly displayed a chipmunk eating the treats I put out for her. Then the camera either croaked or I'm doing something wrong but decided I'd rather not entertain half the raccoons and chipmunks and a skunk around my house.

There are flyers everywhere. People are being approached for the second and third time. I am stunned at how nice and caring the people in my town are. I got a flyer to my mailwoman and the UPS guy, who go all around the neighborhood and are both very nice. I eavedropped on a conversation out in public, thinking the people were talking about a running dog, but found out they were actually the "crosswalks committee" of the Conservation Committee and they were discussing crosswalks. Turns out I already talked to one of them.

Brandy's rescuer from RI came up again (70 miles) and, among other things, identified dog poop left on the sidewalk about 50 yards from my house (across a bit of woods). She said, "I should know it, I cleaned up her run for six months." You dog people will understand that it IS possible to identify someone's poop if there aren't a bunch of dogs making deposits, and there really aren't around here. Same poop was in a neighbor's garden maybe 100 feet away from above deposit. I honestly think she is basing herself in some woods very near me and venturing out looking for food. One neighbor puts out bread and rolls "for the birds," and I have long seen squirrels running around with hunks of bread in their paws.

Of course I will post when/if she is found. I just don't want her to suffer but the way she was dashing around the neighborhood yesterday, even at age 14 and eating who-knows-what for 11 days, she seems to be taking care of herself. Thanks to all for your questions. I would never *not* tell you about her.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,605,804 times
Glad there are still sightings. Too bad no successful interactions yet.

Well now the critter cam has given you some info--not the info you wanted though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs