Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Right. Also we've had plenty of people get mad when they ran to the ER and thought afterwards they could have waited but got pushed into it. Never bothers me LOL.
That's not Dawn. She'd rather error on the side of caution when it comes to Artie. She won't get mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Quote:
I would call this centralized ER clinic and see if they can help you some way. Like someone near you who can help or even prescribe antibiotics for a day. Of course if he's dehydrated or has low oxygen A/B won't help that. Drinking doesn't stop dehydration after a point. If he wasn't coughing before I might think all kinds of other issues like foreign body ingestion but coughing followed by lethargy is just something I've heard way too many times in ten years of our yahoo group. Emergency : DMV Veterinary Centre - 24-hour/365-day emergency medical services, without appointment - Montreal Veterinary Lachine

Right. Also we've had plenty of people get mad when they ran to the ER and thought afterwards they could have waited but got pushed into it. Never bothers me LOL.

My one bulldog was home, aspirated apparently when I left his food down and went to work from 8 am and when I got him to the ER at 6 PM it was full fledged wild serious aspiration pneumonia with a 5 day stay and $4000.00 and he was touch and go. Now, that's a bulldog so they're much harder to help and some dogs are tough as nails so don't panic. But acting soon is on your side. Aspiration means he hacked something in his lungs that shouldn't be there essentially.
I had a Rottweiler get aspirate pneumonia once but it was really acute, so I don't think that's what Artie has.

My dog went from being OK to within an hour drooling massively and not able to breathe, he had his head pointed straight up to open his airway and was gasping for air, it was horrible. Got him straight to the ER and he got massive steroids to shrink swelling and was kept there on oxygen for the remainder of the night but was fine after that. Turned out he had an abnormally narrow trachea so I was then aware of that but he never had another occurrence.

I am assuming Artie is on heartworm preventative because that was my other thought, given the symptoms.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I had a Rottweiler get aspirate pneumonia once but it was really acute, so I don't think that's what Artie has.

My dog went from being OK to within an hour drooling massively and not able to breathe, he had his head pointed straight up to open his airway and was gasping for air, it was horrible. Got him straight to the ER and he got massive steroids to shrink swelling and was kept there on oxygen for the remainder of the night but was fine after that. Turned out he had an abnormally narrow trachea so I was then aware of that but he never had another occurrence.

I am assuming Artie is on heartworm preventative because that was my other thought, given the symptoms.
Yeah but plenty of them are laying there like a brick. But I agree you can see drooling too. Yes It could be something completely different...at this point the facts are only: coughing, then loss of appetite then lethargy. Who knows.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
You're right, Hopes, I'm feeling overwhelmed. And sad and scared. Thank you for the information. I'm definitely feeling frazzled. It's like a case of "practice what you preach" and not being able to take the best advice that you would give to someone else. My brain isn't working well right now. So thank you for being my brain today.

I counted his breaths, runswithscissors, when he was lying on the couch relaxing. The number falls right in the middle of the range.

His stomach is gurgling, chiroptera, and he looked at me when my ear was pressed to his belly with a "WTF?" look that (thank you, Artie) made me laugh a bit.

He ate a bit. He drank a bit more. He heard kids playing outside so I let him out on the balcony, and he was all alert, tail wagging, curious to know what they were yelling about.

I have the e-vet number entered into my phone, which will be on my night table next to our bed.

We're going for our last (short) walk in about half an hour and then we're going to bed. I think we both need a good sleep.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not Dawn. She'd rather error on the side of caution when it comes to Artie. She won't get mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

He is definitely on heartworm preventative meds. The first of the month, EVERY month, without fail.

There's been no drooling. Even the coughing is once in a while, like three or four times per day. If I didn't work from home, I wouldn't even know about it.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah but plenty of them are laying there like a brick. But I agree you can see drooling too. Yes It could be something completely different...at this point the facts are only: coughing, then loss of appetite then lethargy. Who knows.
Very sporadic coughing, he did eat a bit (he's always been a poor eater, just not quite this bad), and -- as to the lethargy -- I might be overblowing it, based on my fear. He's going to be 10 years old in a few months. He's been flutzed out on the couch most of the day, but he did go out on the balcony to see what the kids outside were up to.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I'm glad to hear there are signs he's not in major distress.

Don't walk him far. Just go outside and stand there nearby. You don't want to tax his system.

Get lots of rest and let us know how you're both doing.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
So sorry to see the turn of events today, Dawn, but I'm glad things seem a bit better this evening. I'm sending every positive thought I can your way!! I hope you both have a reasonably restful night, and a good report from the vet tomorrow!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
YAY Artie! You know with only 3x day cough it could be alot less serious anyway! My other Bulldog caught kennel cough (without pneumonia) and was down for the count. From a visitor who had a small terrier and pit bull. They both had it too and you couldn't tell they were playing like fools while coughing LOL.

Good luck in the AM you'll feel so much better.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm glad to hear there are signs he's not in major distress.

Don't walk him far. Just go outside and stand there nearby. You don't want to tax his system.

Get lots of rest and let us know how you're both doing.
Exactly -- we've only gone for a few walks today and they've all been VERY short. He wants to keep going but I won't let him.

Thank you again, Hopes.

I'll post tomorrow morning before we go to the vet and, of course, after we get back. As for the "after we get back" part, I imagine we're not going to be seen right at 11, I don't know how long we'll be there, and I'm guessing that I'll bring him home and then go back out to fill any prescriptions that he needs. So the "after" may not come until sometime in the afternoon. But it will come, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs