Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Artie's grain intolerant, so rice isn't a good plan for him.

Since he's known (!!!) for his poop problems and they always resolve, I'm more concerned about the ACK-HACKING. I'm going to see how he is tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I agree with doing a short fast followed by some small meals of mushy cooked meat and white rice for dire rear. But if Artie is particular about eating that might not work for him and it sounds like he is putting himself on a wee fast anyway.

Been a while since I've had a kennel cough outbreak here but it was not non-stop; and it sounded exactly like the dogs were chocking or trying to dislodge something caught in their throats. In almost all cases it goes away by itself, just like colds in people. Most vets would prophylactically prescribe antibiotics to prevent further infection but that can also slow the healing process (my old vet told me this.)

Poor Artie! Hope he is back to normal soonest.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Artie's grain intolerant, so rice isn't a good plan for him.
Well feed whatever fat-free food you feed for his diarrhea diet. My point was to share that withholding food for 24 hours or at least a half day is really important to give the digestive system a rest. Slowly adding regular food is important too or their digestive systems freak out again.

Quote:
Since he's known (!!!) for his poop problems and they always resolve, I'm more concerned about the ACK-HACKING. I'm going to see how he is tomorrow.
I understand. I just wanted to comment on your saying you never withhold food. Sometimes it's necessary, especially for a dog that has poop problems. My hound is a sensitive dude like that.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:42 PM

Rice is the standard advice but you can do mashed potatoes (white or sweet) as well.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 PM

I know, Hopes, and I appreciate what you're saying, I really do.

No treats tonight. No breakfast tomorrow. I'll see how the day unfolds tomorrow. He's sleeping on the couch now.

Chiroptera -- aaaah, it's good to know that kennel cough resolves on its own, like a cold. I didn't know that. I'm definitely going to keep on eye on my buddy, like I always do.

Thanks for the good words, everyone.

ETA: Chiroptera! Potatoes! I'm going to try that tomorrow for him if he's not back to his normal self. THANKS!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Kennel Cough
Really, it is usually self-limiting and not usually that big of a deal.
Yes! Mashed potatoes with some cooked meat.

True story:
About 12 years ago I had four dogs. One was a foster and had recently been vaccinated against bordatella. Two other had recently enrolled in obedience classes at a facility that mandated the vaccine; it had been a few months since they had it. The fourth dog was an ancient (about 16 years old) GSD mix who hadn't been vaccinated for anything at all in several years.

The (vaccinated although probably after he got exposed) foster brought in the virus.
The two younger vaccinated dogs were hacking and gacking within a couple of weeks.
The old, frail, unvaccinated dog? Was just fine, even though all dogs shared furniture, water bowl, etc.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM

AH! That first video -- the one of Dixon? That's what Artie's doing! I like the sound of it resolving on its own since a vet visit is always a stress for him, especially what with this being a new one. I won't be alarmed if it continues on through the week, after reading all of this, since one to two weeks seems the norm.

And potatoes, chicken, and hamburger it is. The boy will be happy! Thank you!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Don't wait; take him to the vet. There could be a blockage, that is, a growth of some sort.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
AH! That first video -- the one of Dixon? That's what Artie's doing! I like the sound of it resolving on its own since a vet visit is always a stress for him, especially what with this being a new one. I won't be alarmed if it continues on through the week, after reading all of this, since one to two weeks seems the norm.

And potatoes, chicken, and hamburger it is. The boy will be happy! Thank you!

Hope he gets over it in short order without needing a vet visit!

As long as the dire rear resolves and he's not in any obvious distress with the coughing or other symptoms I think you can probably forego the vet visit for now.

Just watch for worsening of coughing, trouble breathing, wheezing, drooling, depression or anything like that. Because a small % of dogs will get pneumonia (aspirate or otherwise) and that definitely needs immediate veterinary intervention.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Kennel Cough
Really, it is usually self-limiting and not usually that big of a deal.
Yes! Mashed potatoes with some cooked meat.

True story:
About 12 years ago I had four dogs. One was a foster and had recently been vaccinated against bordatella. Two other had recently enrolled in obedience classes at a facility that mandated the vaccine; it had been a few months since they had it. The fourth dog was an ancient (about 16 years old) GSD mix who hadn't been vaccinated for anything at all in several years.

The (vaccinated although probably after he got exposed) foster brought in the virus.
The two younger vaccinated dogs were hacking and gacking within a couple of weeks.
The old, frail, unvaccinated dog? Was just fine, even though all dogs shared furniture, water bowl, etc.
I am thrilled to finally "meet" someone else who doesn't look at kennel cough as if it were the end of the world!! Is it fun? No. Can it be a PITA? Yes!! Detrimental? Typically, no.

We had a wild strain go through our valley some years back and when informing clients of it, you would have though that we informed them their child had head lice

OMG just watched both videos and realized they have one for reverse sneezing as well. Love this link, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs