Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times

Advertisements

So I just had a phone conversation with someone calling about Pit Bulls. They were just asking general questions and wanted to know what I had dogs I have and any pups I might have.

I told them what my dogs colors were and the bloodlines. They asked if I crop ears. No. Do you have someone who will? No. I told them the vet does it. She said not where she lives, she has a Pit Bull/Lab mix and they wanted to crop the ears and couldn't find a vet to do it. Told her to check outside areas. But why would you want to crop a crosses ears? Thats what I was thinking. If its not showing then whats the purpose.

Then they ask about size, what are their sizes. So its my fault for not saying lbs right when telling them? They said are you talking about the head sizes of them? I've seen some dogs 26" or so head right. I never measure my dogs heads....lol Anyway thats REALLY big, seen some claim 28" head but people can exaggerate. So you'd think when the lowest starts at 35 that doesn't mean head size. My heaviest dog is 65lbs. I really don't see how one could think head size. But if thats what they were meaning by their question I didn't know or I would just say I don't measure heads.

Then she says well are yours the American Pit Bull Terrier bloodline??? I said Well yeah they are all APBT, thats the breed so what do you mean, what bloodlines are you looking for? This was after I already told her the bloodlines. She said well what we are looking for is Gotti. I said well that is just a bloodline, not a breed and APBT is the breed. Then she said well what they want is something over a 100lbs and a bluenose. I never mentioned blue, which means I don't breed blue dogs. I was like I don't have anything near that size (I also told her the size), all my dogs are purebred and I show them so they are to the standards. I don't have any mixed breeds like Gotti line.(yes I did inform her these dogs were mixed with probably Neo and other breeds) She said oh, talks about a breeder she was talking too thats has Gotti I guess.

Then she says well kind are yours? I'm like what do you mean. I hate that question because you don't know what people mean, by now we had covered everything (I thought) but when people first start talking they could mean bloodline, color, or some other special made up type. So she says she was reading where they're are too kinds, a curve nosed kind and kind with a bump on the nose. She said her husband is looking for a curve nosed Pit. I'm like well I don't know anything about that, I've never seen any description like that and haven't seen Pits like that. I told her she can see the standard are UKC website. Then she says whats your website. I'm like not mine, UKC site, United Kennel Club. She's like ok. Then there was a little more talk and convo ended.

In the beginning when I asked her What are you really looking for? She should have told me and I could have told her I don't have any of that and don't know breeders who do either. Would have been a lot less time for her to waste, I guess I don't mind it, I was getting smiles out of my husband as he hears me talking to her.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Hahaha! Wow! I don't understand where people get this crap from! It makes me so mad that so many people know absolutely nothing truthful about APBTs!!! You know how APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies are all grouped as "pit bulls" and sometimes some people will throw in Bull Terriers and American Bulldogs as "pit bulls" as well? Well, maybe when she was talking about a curved nose "pit bull" she was really talking about a Bull Terrier. You know a lot of people have no idea what a "pit bull" even is, so she could think that Bull Terriers are a "type" of "pit bull".. lmao!

Oh, and I would pay a lot of money to see a dog with a 65" head! Lmao! Wow.. Some people?! I don't know how big my pups heads are and I really don't care! I don't think I know anyone that cares how big their dogs head is. People that are that concerned about looks and size obviously don't want a pit for the right reasons, and someone that knows that little about pits should not own one!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Curved nose pit, maybe she is thinking about the bull terrier ( Spuds ). 100 pounds, that is quite large, my Amstaff, Morgan weighed 75 pounds and that was with my walking him nearly 60 miles a week and sometimes more. He had a massive head that looked like it was just attached to his shoulder with no neck, he had a 26 inch neck and the collar did not slide over his head, I had to unbuckle it to remove it, so his head was definately larger than 26 inchs around.
Attached Thumbnails
Some Pit Bull people, can't believe it. Rare curvenose or what?-dsca0807_1.jpg  

Old 09-21-2007, 07:04 PM

I thought about Bull Terrier but then wasn't sure. Also that could be curve nosed or bump nosed. The Bull Terrier muzzle slopes up so it could be considered to curved or having a bump? But she specifically said Gotti so I would doubt a dog that looks like a Bull Terrier. So I'm really not sure, they don't look like APBTs, but not like Bull Terriers either and their noses don't really curve.

Dragonslayer is that from a clean line of Staffs? A lot of breeders mix in OEB for size and mass and to add to their dogs chest/head width.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Morgans line had been back traced to 1927 to Petey from Little Rascals, at something like $15 per generation to check. The man I bought him from was very proud of his American Staffordshires. Morgans uncle was named Bear, he was a monster of a dog and nearly 100 pounds and jet black, but he was a big teddy bear, all of Franks dogs were raised from puppies around his 4 children. They were all AKC dogs.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:53 PM

Wow $15 per generation...ouch! Thats steep.

Any dog that is registered can be traced back, unfortunately a lot of people hang papers is why I ask. I'm sure he was a fine dog though. Sounds like he is greatly missed.

Petey was born in 1929. From Petey you should be able to go 14+ generations back to APBTs that were imported from England & Ireland. However I'm not sure how that would work with AKC since they didn't except them until 1936 and only kept records for dogs dual registered as AST. But you can, Petey's sire GR CH Black Jack was a huge foundation for the AST lines.

What immediate dogs did he have in his pedigree?

If someone says 100lbs that is oversized but not way out there unbelievable. I had a guy call me on a different occasion and say his 151lbs bluenose AST died and he was looking for another one. I was pretty much stunned, but just told him I didn't have AST anyway. 151lbs is larger then many of the molosser/mastiffs. There are of course those who top at over 200lbs. I'm thinking poor fat dog or another fad mutt. I think too many people keep their dogs fat so they can brag about size and others don't know any better. Not you, as you say you walked your dog a lot and gave him proper care. But one guy who was talking about getting a pup with me had a picture of his female who he said was 90lbs, but when I seen it she was probably 25lbs overweight, she had fat hanging from her side and under her chest.

Do you have anymore pics of you baby. Oops I think the threads been hijacked. At least its for a Pit cause. Do you still have Pit Bulls?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,909,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post

Oh, and I would pay a lot of money to see a dog with a 65" head! LMAO

I'm thinking they have it mixed up between a Pit Bull and a Gorilla...not Gotti...this bad boy has a huge freakin' head!...wait, isn't that a Blue Nose Pit Bull??? LMAO

I want one with a head like this...LMAO....OK, I'll stop making fun of the stupid people....LOL

Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm thinking they have it mixed up between a Pit Bull and a Gorilla...not Gotti...this bad boy has a huge freakin' head!...wait, isn't that a Blue Nose Pit Bull??? LMAO

I want one with a head like this...LMAO....OK, I'll stop making fun of the stupid people....LOL

Haha! They do look like the poor Gotti pits! Brooklyn has a big head for his body, I call him my little big head.. lol! But his head is no where near 56" lmao!! Imagine what he would look like with a 56" head! Poor thing!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
I can't imagine sending a pup home with someone like that.

Who do you normally sell to? Are most inquiries fairly normal, or are you dealing with a lot of people along these lines?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:45 PM

I only knew Morgans dad and mom, his dads name was Bandit after the dog on the cartoon " Johnny Quest " , Morgans name was originally Rocky after the squirrel on "Rocky and Bullwinkle". Franks kids named all the dogs and pups after cartoon caracters. I remember Frank mentioning Black Jack. He did the research, I was happy with Morgan papers or none. I do miss him still and it has been over ten years, he was my first dog that did not belong to the family and the first that I got when I became an adult. He was a stubborn, bull headed dog and did not like other dogs unless they were submissive females or very very wimpy males. But he adored cats and was pretty much raised with them and he was wonderful with children. I remember that he did not like cows, I don't know why though. I got Heidi when Morgan was 9, she was a pointer/pit cross and a rotten dog, I hate to say. I then got a shepherd/Mcnab cross female, Ursa and then O'shota a golden/rott/irishwolfhound cross. Heidi went to the bridge in 04, O'shota went in 06 and Ursa left us in March. I now only have Chelsea, I got here in 01 as a pup, she is a Mcnab/jackrussel cross. I do miss having more than one dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.