Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,719,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I can't imagine sending a pup home with someone like that.

Who do you normally sell to? Are most inquiries fairly normal, or are you dealing with a lot of people along these lines?
I meet crazy people at shows or out in public. We took a trip to TX and ran into a guy in a store. He saw my husbands hat and he's like hey is that a blue nose pit? NO (its obviously brindle but go figure) Oh well you have have pits man? YEAH. Awesome they are awesome dogs. Mine I just got one, he is the "****" you know. They are just totally awesome he is 100lbs like ripped he huge man you should see him, pure blue nose. LMAO Should have took the time to inform him some but he wouldn't even stop jabbering so either of us could get a word in.

A lot of people take my business cards at show and call me later with some silly questions. I also have people that I've answered question for in the past that refer someone to me who has Pit Bull related questions.

So I'm used to people calling or emailing me about Pits. I had a myspace account that said nothing about breedings but still messages all the time like "What Kind Pits You Got" "Is that a Gator Pit" or "You got any pups, man?"

Just general morons. Some are from sales every once in awhile. I normally don't like to advertise because it leaves you open to stupidity and just makes me mad. I know I've probably offended a few people.

One guy called about an 18 month old male.............
He asked if I would crop his ears. [i]No he's too old[/b] Well we are looking for a playmate for our other Pit. He does get along with females so far Are you sure you won't crop his ears, we want a cropped Pit? [i]No, maybe you can find a vet that will do it that old, but I'm not going to[i] Ok, well has he been game tested? [i]No I don't fight my dogs or sell them for fighting[i/] Oh I see. Is he protective [i]He might be once he gets to know you and is inside and bonds with you. They should have a friendly temperament but they have great discernment. His Mom is watchful and she would never let anyone harm me or my son. But he won't be aggressive or a guard dog, he's not just going to attack a kid or something.[/] Well its just me and my girlfriend, we don't have any kids so we don't care, we are looking for a guard dog. I really like him though. Could you just look at him? I really want him want him but want to make sure he is game first. No like I said I won't. Why would I do that and then turn around and sell him to you? I can't ship an injured dog (duh?) and if I fought dogs he'd be worth more after proven wouldn't he? I just want to make sure he's a good dog, that will protect us and play with our other Pit. So you want a male that has cropped ears, to be a guard dog and you want me to game test him and afterwards expect him to play with your other Pit!!! Well that sounds smart So somewhere after that he hung up, dipshyt.

I don't sell a lot of pups, we just did a breeding via chilled semen and AI and won't have any for sale. Anytime I do sell a pup its not to someone like that!!! Its pretty normal to have idiots all over. I usually don't sell to anyone close to me, there isn't enough good homes in one area.

Many times people I already know get a pup from me (some have 2-4 dogs from me) and others I talk to and get to know them first. I have 2 more people that want a 2nd pup from me. One lives close to me (well 2 1/2hrs) and would like a pup early next year. Her dogs have been well treated family pets, her last Pit died @ 6yrs from epilepsy. The other is a NYC Police Officer (lives outside the city) who wants another later on. He always calls and lets me know how she is doing or if he has any questions.

One pev of mine is when they send me a text message (can't even call) and it says how do I send you the money. They just assume I'm selling a dog to them. If they can't talk to me, then I'm not just sending a living being off with them!!!!

Pups that don't go to show/working homes go to nice pet homes. I keep in touch with the buyers, get update/pics. When I go to different shows I get to see them again (sometimes), even if its only once a year.

I have 1st right of refusal. A 1yr old female I got back because of a local breed ban where the owners lived. Another male in a different area was going to come back (same reason) but they sent him with the grandparents who are only 30mins away. (I think they are 10-12hrs from me). They went to meetings, got a lawyer fought it. I sent them info on temperament, also on their dog's bloodline/history the temperament of the line, pics of the ancestors with kids/animals. After one meeting they said looks like you will do whatever it takes to keep him. Then turned around and banned them anyway because they were banning Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are the same thing. (STUPID) I was fine with the dog going to the grandparents. The kids were super attached to him, he would sit by them while they did home work, slept in the one kids bed.

The pups I sell are treated as part of the family. Some owners are not super knowledgeable about bloodlines are anything but they have common sense. They aren't all spaced out. They at least know what a Pit Bull is and isn't.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,499 times
Default gotti pits

they really do get that freakishly large, probably from growth hormones. I have an 80 pound blue and he doesn't look weird like that. those dogs can sell for up to 10,000-crazy.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,184,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluce View Post
they really do get that freakishly large, probably from growth hormones. I have an 80 pound blue and he doesn't look weird like that. those dogs can sell for up to 10,000-crazy.
WOW!! 80 pounds?! What a big boy! Is he pure bred American Pit Bull Terrier? I don't think I have never seen one that big? Average weight for an APBT is 35-55 pounds, but they can be anywhere from 22-75 or so pounds. I have always heard and read that most don't get up to 75 pounds and most of the ones that are 75+ are normally mixed with a larger breed or aren't properly bred. I hope you don't take my post the wrong way! lol! I'm definitely not saying that yours is mixed or poorly bred, just like any breed, individual dogs can be smaller or larger than normal. But even though this is an "pit bull" (APBT, AmStaff and Staffie) thread you didn't say what breed you own, so I figured I'd ask. I'm going to assume that he's APBT since I have never seen a blue AmStaff or Staffie. But because he is so large I figured I'd ask.

My husband and I are "pit bull" owners as well, we own three APBTs. Brooklyn is our 1 year 7 month old brindle male and he's 48 pounds, Jayda is our 1 year old black and white female and she's 42 pounds, and Destiny is our 10 month old white and red/tan female and she's 38 pounds. Do you by any chance have a picture of your pup that you could post? I love APBTs, they are by far my favorite breed, and I think blues are soo gorgeous! My husband wanted a blue and I wanted a red, but all of ours kind of found us and now that we have three we can't get another one right now. We kind of got what we wanted as far as color! lol! Not really, but Brooklyn's mom is red and his dad is blue!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM

PMB you have only seen blue AST or SBT? Most (game dog) people believe blue isn't even a true APBT, that all blue Pit Bulls are really curs and that they all have Staff blood in them. This is true the majority of the time "APBTs" who are blue are actually AST as they can be dual registered. The big blue fad is coming from the AST bred dogs. However I've seen a couple blue Pits with no staff, a rarity for sure!!!
Here is a blue AST for you.
Doodle

Brooklyn's Dad is also part AST isn't he? The whole name and registry thing is where people get confused maybe? Since you can register an AST as an APBT it doesn't make that dog not an AST.

You can see blue Staffies in that breed selector thread, I think some were posted. There is a breeder in Boise that had blue Staffies as I'm thinking of checking them out. The pups were so dang cute. But why tickle my fancy if I can't get one...lol Just thought of it when we visit my BIL and his family to check them out.

Its not from growth hormones (not saying never but on a regular basis) its from genetics. I know people with Gotti dogs and they don't give them any type of growth hormones or anything. Some are 100lbs or so but over weight (10-15lbs) but they would still be very large at that weight of 85-90lbs. It is from genetics just as any other dog is a certain size. Gotti dogs are not pure APBTs so they can certainly get bigger, Gotti himself has hung papers as his sire (of which he's inbred from) has false paperwork.

80lbs is rather large for an APBT. There are certainly larger pure dogs out there, its just that a lot of people mix crap in to get size. If yours doesn't look weird its probably because he looks balance and closer to the standard just at a larger weight.

A lot of the blues they cross to Neos and it can show in some cases. The reds they breed to Bordeauxs. Sometimes the dogs are just very grossly obese. One guy told me his female was 90lbs and sent me the pic, the dog was very overweight. She should have probably been around 65lbs, she had fat hanging from her sides and chest. Other times they are just not trim and conditioned, doesn't mean they are fat or overweight. 80lbs is certainly pushing it, most of the 80lbs blue dogs I see have a high staff content and have been bred for the size and color fad. So many people don't breed to the standard and get really large dogs. Even if they are pure they just don't meet up to the standard, its the same with other breeds. Giant Rottweilers and Dobermans, extra large Bullmastiffs, people want bigger.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,184,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
PMB you have only seen blue AST or SBT?
No.. lol! I think you read my post wrong, I said..
Quote:
I'm going to assume that he's APBT since I have never seen a blue AmStaff or Staffie. But because he is so large I figured I'd ask.
The only blue "pit bulls" I have seen are APBTs. I know I have never seen a blue Staffie and I don't think I have ever seen a blue AmStaff. But, seeing as how a lot, if not most, "pit bull" owners (people that just own them for pets, not for show, etc) don't tend buy from reputable breeders, and because AmStaffs and APBTs look very much alike, I'm not sure if most of the blues I have seen were pure bred APBTs, pure bred AmStaffs, or some kind of mix, you know? I do know a couple people that own blue APBTs and I know for sure that they are pure bred, like Brooklyn's dad for example, but as far as the blue pits that I have seen before, I really have no way of knowing what breed or mix they are for sure. To me, the blues I have seen all looked like APBTs, though I have seen some that looked like they could be AmStaff or some kind of mix. But no, I didn't say that I have only seen blue AmStaffs and Staffies, I said that the blues I have seen have been APBTs, for the most part.

Quote:
Brooklyn's Dad is also part AST isn't he? The whole name and registry thing is where people get confused maybe? Since you can register an AST as an APBT it doesn't make that dog not an AST
I know it sounds horrible, but right now I really couldn't tell you what all Brooklyn's dad is! lol! I know that he is pure bred, he's blue and he's an APBT, or so we were told? But as far as bloodline and all of that, I can't really say at this point. I guess he could be part AmStaff? Brooklyn's mom and dad are pure bred APBTs. If they have AmStaff in them can they still be pure bred APBTs? You know that I don't know anything about breeding! lol! You have me confused now! I know that APBTs are basically just a separate strand of AmStaffs, but they are now being recognized as separate breeds, for the most part. I also know that APBTs can be duel registered as APBTs with the UKC and as AmStaffs with the AKC, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean? lol! Sorry!

Quote:
You can see blue Staffies in that breed selector thread, I think some were posted. There is a breeder in Boise that had blue Staffies as I'm thinking of checking them out. The pups were so dang cute. But why tickle my fancy if I can't get one...lol Just thought of it when we visit my BIL and his family to check them out.
Really?! Like I said, I have never seen a blue Staffie! I haven't seen many Staffies to start with though. You have seen pictures of the two Staffies I know, they are both black with a bit of white on their chest.

Quote:
80lbs is rather large for an APBT. There are certainly larger pure dogs out there, its just that a lot of people mix crap in to get size.
Again, as you already know, I'm not a breeder nor do I know anything about breeding! lol! So, I'm glad you posted about this. I was thinking that an 80 pound pit can definitely be a pure bred APBT, but I didn't think that it's a "normal" thing, for pure bred APBT anyway. I know that a lot of the very large "pit bulls", 80+ pounds, are mixed with other breeds, or are poorly bred and specifically bred to be huge.

Quote:
A lot of the blues they cross to Neos and it can show in some cases. The reds they breed to Bordeauxs.
That's when people are breeding for color and size (or to be over sized), right?

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 10-29-2007 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
No.. lol! I think you read my post wrong, I said.. The only blue "pit bulls" I have seen are APBTs. I know I have never seen a blue Staffie and I don't think I have ever seen a blue AmStaff. But, seeing as how a lot, if not most, "pit bull" owners (people that just own them for pets, not for show, etc) don't tend buy from reputable breeders, and because AmStaffs and APBTs look very much alike, I'm not sure if most of the blues I have seen were pure bred APBTs, pure bred AmStaffs, or some kind of mix, you know? I do know a couple people that own blue APBTs and I know for sure that they are pure bred, like Brooklyn's dad for example, but as far as the blue pits that I have seen before, I really have no way of knowing what breed or mix they are for sure. To me, the blues I have seen all looked like APBTs, though I have seen some that looked like they could be AmStaff or some kind of mix. But no, I didn't say that I have only seen blue AmStaffs and Staffies, I said that the blues I have seen have been APBTs, for the most part.
No I typed my post wrong. It was supposed to say PMB you have never seen a blue AST or SBT....lol my fault

That is why I made reference to the blue AST "Doodle" in the link and talked about blue SBTs. Think I was just a little tired last night. Did you check out the link to the blue AST? She is one awesome girl!!!

Blue dogs are purebred (some of course are not), I think the argument of them comes from the fact that almost any blue dog is either an AST or has AST in it. Most will not believe an AST or a dog with AST will be game at all. They have been bred for the show ring and not for gameness. So a blue dog is going to be subject to controversy. A blue dog is an AST in their book, most of the time this is correct but there are exceptions.

Quote:
I know it sounds horrible, but right now I really couldn't tell you what all Brooklyn's dad is! lol! I know that he is pure bred, he's blue and he's an APBT, or so we were told? But as far as bloodline and all of that, I can't really say at this point. I guess he could be part AmStaff? Brooklyn's mom and dad are pure bred APBTs. If they have AmStaff in them can they still be pure bred APBTs? You know that I don't know anything about breeding! lol! You have me confused now! I know that APBTs are basically just a separate strand of AmStaffs, but they are now being recognized as separate breeds, for the most part. I also know that APBTs can be duel registered as APBTs with the UKC and as AmStaffs with the AKC, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean? lol! Sorry!
I'm just assuming that he has AST in him because he's blue and also you mentioned Razor Edge before and those dogs are AST. So that all adds up to him being at least part AST and where the blue comes in as RE line is mostly blue dogs.

The AST/APBT thing is going to be opinion. I think most fanciers agree that and AST and an APBT are different. After 70yrs of selectively breeding for different traits and types they are very separated by now. They are 2 different types of the same breed. So they would not think an AST is a purebred APBT. An APBT with AST influence is therefor adding a different type and just that, an APBT with AST blood. It is like breeding a KNPV Dutch Shepherd to an FCI Dutch Shephered crossing 2 totally different types.

If you are correct on the breeding (you likely are) then they told you the parents were APBTs because they are registered as APBTs and have APBTs bred to AST. They take an AST and register that dog as an APBT and breed it to a real APBT and then the offspring is still considered an APBT. Very confusing as I said with the registry and the names. You can not dual registered an APBT as an AST, the AKC does not allow this, not for any breed. You can't dual register a UKC dog of another breed with AKC. You can only dual register an AST as an APBT and that is how we get APBTs that have AST blood.

I guess basically what I mean (if I even remember, last night was a blur) is that while Brooklyn's sire is blue and registered as an "American Pit Bull Terrier" he is actually only some APBT and part AST. I don't think registering an AST as an APBT makes them an APBT, it is just putting a name on them, doesn't change what they are really. Its not a big deal I guess I only pointed out the whole thing because you had never seen a blue AST. I thought that was odd since the whole blue kick started with AST and the blue APBTs have high AST influence.

Some people even continue to breed only AST to AST even though they are dual registered as APBTs. So you have have 4 generations of AST that have been called APBTs without bringing back any APBT into them.

As with Razor's Edge Throwin Knuckles (a major foundation) he is a UKC Champion, but if you look back in his immediate pedigree you will actually see he is mostly AST. He has AKC CH in the 2nd/3rd generation. Some of the other AST in his pedigree are actually dual registered but they are all AST none the less. To me the AST and the APBT generally look different. They have a different standard and different type they breed too which lends to physical differences.

Hope that clears it up.

Quote:
Really?! Like I said, I have never seen a blue Staffie! I haven't seen many Staffies to start with though. You have seen pictures of the two Staffies I know, they are both black with a bit of white on their chest.
Yeah I think there was a couple there, I can't remember if they were ISBT or just SBT.

Here is a great page with SBT in different colors including blue. They look so beautiful I love SBT!!!! If only I could actually have one. *sigh*
Staffordshire Bull Terriers U.K. Breed Council of G.B.and N.Ireland

This is a kennel I've also looked at, enjoy I know you love bullies just as much as I do!
Blue Dogs

Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,416 times
I really dont like how these "GOTTI" line pits look. some have faces like a mastiff and bow legs like a bulldog. they are bred with like mastiffs and bulldogs for the size and shortness. they look like stupid giant hippos. Curve nose? lol thats a Bull Terrier. they are just too fat. the standard size and weight of the apbt is 18" and 35-80lbs correct? people want a huge dog then they should buy a mastiff or something. but if they want a apbt? then get one that doesnt look like a hippo. lol

Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,078,495 times
i know this thread is REALLY old, but just have a couple of comments to add........

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm thinking they have it mixed up between a Pit Bull and a Gorilla...not Gotti...this bad boy has a huge freakin' head!...wait, isn't that a Blue Nose Pit Bull??? LMAO

I want one with a head like this...LMAO....OK, I'll stop making fun of the stupid people....LOL

oh but its SO easy..... and fun........

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I meet crazy people at shows or out in public. We took a trip to TX and ran into a guy in a store. He saw my husbands hat and he's like hey is that a blue nose pit? NO (its obviously brindle but go figure) Oh well you have have pits man? YEAH. Awesome they are awesome dogs. Mine I just got one, he is the "****" you know. They are just totally awesome he is 100lbs like ripped he huge man you should see him, pure blue nose. LMAO Should have took the time to inform him some but he wouldn't even stop jabbering so either of us could get a word in.

A lot of people take my business cards at show and call me later with some silly questions. I also have people that I've answered question for in the past that refer someone to me who has Pit Bull related questions.

So I'm used to people calling or emailing me about Pits. I had a myspace account that said nothing about breedings but still messages all the time like "What Kind Pits You Got" "Is that a Gator Pit" or "You got any pups, man?"

Just general morons. Some are from sales every once in awhile. I normally don't like to advertise because it leaves you open to stupidity and just makes me mad. I know I've probably offended a few people.

One guy called about an 18 month old male.............
He asked if I would crop his ears. [i]No he's too old[/b] Well we are looking for a playmate for our other Pit. He does get along with females so far Are you sure you won't crop his ears, we want a cropped Pit? [i]No, maybe you can find a vet that will do it that old, but I'm not going to[i] Ok, well has he been game tested? [i]No I don't fight my dogs or sell them for fighting[i/] Oh I see. Is he protective [i]He might be once he gets to know you and is inside and bonds with you. They should have a friendly temperament but they have great discernment. His Mom is watchful and she would never let anyone harm me or my son. But he won't be aggressive or a guard dog, he's not just going to attack a kid or something.[/] Well its just me and my girlfriend, we don't have any kids so we don't care, we are looking for a guard dog. I really like him though. Could you just look at him? I really want him want him but want to make sure he is game first. No like I said I won't. Why would I do that and then turn around and sell him to you? I can't ship an injured dog (duh?) and if I fought dogs he'd be worth more after proven wouldn't he? I just want to make sure he's a good dog, that will protect us and play with our other Pit. So you want a male that has cropped ears, to be a guard dog and you want me to game test him and afterwards expect him to play with your other Pit!!! Well that sounds smart So somewhere after that he hung up, dipshyt.

I don't sell a lot of pups, we just did a breeding via chilled semen and AI and won't have any for sale. Anytime I do sell a pup its not to someone like that!!! Its pretty normal to have idiots all over. I usually don't sell to anyone close to me, there isn't enough good homes in one area.

Many times people I already know get a pup from me (some have 2-4 dogs from me) and others I talk to and get to know them first. I have 2 more people that want a 2nd pup from me. One lives close to me (well 2 1/2hrs) and would like a pup early next year. Her dogs have been well treated family pets, her last Pit died @ 6yrs from epilepsy. The other is a NYC Police Officer (lives outside the city) who wants another later on. He always calls and lets me know how she is doing or if he has any questions.

One pev of mine is when they send me a text message (can't even call) and it says how do I send you the money. They just assume I'm selling a dog to them. If they can't talk to me, then I'm not just sending a living being off with them!!!!

Pups that don't go to show/working homes go to nice pet homes. I keep in touch with the buyers, get update/pics. When I go to different shows I get to see them again (sometimes), even if its only once a year.

I have 1st right of refusal. A 1yr old female I got back because of a local breed ban where the owners lived. Another male in a different area was going to come back (same reason) but they sent him with the grandparents who are only 30mins away. (I think they are 10-12hrs from me). They went to meetings, got a lawyer fought it. I sent them info on temperament, also on their dog's bloodline/history the temperament of the line, pics of the ancestors with kids/animals. After one meeting they said looks like you will do whatever it takes to keep him. Then turned around and banned them anyway because they were banning Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are the same thing. (STUPID) I was fine with the dog going to the grandparents. The kids were super attached to him, he would sit by them while they did home work, slept in the one kids bed.

The pups I sell are treated as part of the family. Some owners are not super knowledgeable about bloodlines are anything but they have common sense. They aren't all spaced out. They at least know what a Pit Bull is and isn't.
would that ALL breeders were as knowledgeable and careful as you are..... the world would be a far better place for these dogs.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullykingofcali View Post
all of you are ignorant and dont know anything about the pitbull bully breed!!! and all the blood lines out there!!! get some ifo before all of you start talking crap about what you dont know!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh brother..... and YOU are the expert??

that website you posted has every hallmark of being a backyard breeder..... those poor poor dogs.........

Old 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,955,732 times
Closed due to rude and hostile comments today (which you can't see now). This thread ran its course a while ago.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs