Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my dalmation has a bit of a problem, I'm hoping someone else has some insight, because it's driving me crazy.

A few weeks ago, the dog started to "smell" -- not your typical "smelly dog" smell, or even like feces.... but like rotting garbage. It was concentrated around his "rear end," and he started to lick the back of his tail and hind side like I had never seen him do before. After doing some research, we thought that we had identified the problem and watched a couple of "how to" videos and decided to try "expressing" the dog's anal glands. (The anal glands on a dog are what dogs use to mark territory, etc.) It was the most disgusting thing, but we did it successfully and it's been done TWICE now, but he STILL SMELLS!! (the fluid "expressed" is/was definitely the source of the smell).

Do you think it's time to see a vet? I can't imagine what the vet would say it is beyond what all the websites have said and suggested. I don't want to spend $200 at a vet, only to have them express the glands AGAIN and have him stink STILL.... Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it could be a sign of something dangerous, like worms?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
YES! He may have an infection!!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
Don't want to alarm you. My friend's German Shephard had a similar problem to your Dalmation. The gland by his rear end became abscessed and ruptured. Very, very painful for the poor pooch.
The vet said because the dogs stools were so soft, the glands weren't been squeezed when he had a poo. Maybe adding something to his diet to harden up his poo poo might help. I'd take him to the vet though to be on the safe side. My friend's dog ended up in a lot of pain.

Good luck

Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 PM

Yikes! You guys have only confirmed what I know I must do. Thanks! (and I hope nobody else has to ever deal with this, lol)

Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
Ugh yuk!!! I know some other dogs that had anal gland probs as well, thankfully we've never had them. Our dog has it done regularly when he gets his haircut. Let us know what happens! I'd take him to a vet for sure. Hope it gets better soon!!! Good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
Take him to vet, and give us an update.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Yes, he could be beyond just expressing them and they may be infected. Dog often drag their butts across the carpet/floor when they need their glands expressed as well. Many groomers do this as part of their grooming. I used to have a Daschund I had to do that to a few times a year, but it is easier to do it yourself on a smaller dog like that than a larger one like a Dalmation.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I used to work at a vet's office. The doctors there always said try to avoid expressing the anal glands because once you start that you'll have to continue doing it. For the most part dogs express them naturally when they have a bowel movement. As far as how much it costs, it was only about $15 where I worked. Not sure if you have to pay for an office visit though.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Vet appointment tomorrow morning! We'll see what they say. The thing is, though, I haven't seen him drag his butt on the carpet... but all the other symptoms are there!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I used to work at a vet's office. The doctors there always said try to avoid expressing the anal glands because once you start that you'll have to continue doing it. For the most part dogs express them naturally when they have a bowel movement.
Yes, I've heard this too.
Ugh, what a problem.
Our first mastiff occasionally had that, um, odor, we called it "the bad smell."
But he always seemed to get better on his own, and lived a good long life.
Good luck, Tri, hopefully you are catching the situation before it gets too serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs