Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,005 times

Advertisements

I have a 13 year old small-breed dog who seems to have a problem with his anal glands. The last time we took him to the vet we were just given some antibiotic medication which made the bleeding stop, but once they finished, he's back to having the same problems and probably worse. He drags his behind on the floor all the time, wants to lick it but can't reach it, and bleeds constantly. He also has a small abrasion on his behind and I'm assuming that's where the blood is coming from. I'll be taking him to the vet as soon as I can, but in the meantime, am I right in assuming it's something with the anal glands? The poor thing, he has a number of health issues and he's not one to squeal or cry out when he's in pain, he's very brave, so I don't know if what he has now is painful to him or not .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Is there a foul odor coming from back there all the time?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:28 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,306 times
Did your vet express the glands? If not, once the dog's finished the antibiotics have the vet do that. And, have them expressed (by your vet or groomer) on a regular basis so the problem is kept under control. Your vet can teach you how to do it but it is a very messy and stinky job (just a warning ).

Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
if they are bleeding they need serious looking at, id personally try a different vet, anal glands can easily get impacted but bleeding is NOT normal and can lead to infection if theres not one there already.
the vet should have expresed the anal glands at your visit, but i dont know if he did, (and it may be too painfull to do them normally now, he may have to be put under to get them expressed if they are impacted/bleeding.

ive found diet to play a big part in anal gland issues...
a dog with chronic anial gland problems typically does better on a grain free diet (no corn, wheet, rice ect) given his age however switching his diet may not be ideal, and you may need to simply get them expressed once a monht (more often if nessicary).

unfortunatly anal gland expression can be THE problem in itself, when i worked for a vet he said the most common breeds to have anal gland problems are dogs that see a groomer regularly, groomers typically do anal glands by default, and having them expressed often can actually weaken the muscles around the glands that help them express naturally and anlarge the gland openings allowing them to get impacted.
ontop of that diet and excersize (small breeds are more prone to gland problems) play the 2 other biggest causes)

Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Hmmmm....Macie has gland issues and has a standing monthly appt with the vet to get "up close and personal" but what you describe is concerning. Blood is not normal. I'm surprised that the vet didn't express his glands and check for infection in the fluid.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I took him into the vet today, and the news aren't so great. There are 2 possibilities of what he has and one can be solved with castration and the other (tumors) with surgery. It's given that with surgery, he would more than likely have to be put down since he has a number of other health issues, and the surgery is extremely risky. I'm hoping they're not tumors because I would die right along with him, I love him too much to express in words. I'm getting the results of his biopsy in a few days.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I took him into the vet today, and the news aren't so great. There are 2 possibilities of what he has and one can be solved with castration and the other (tumors) with surgery. It's given that with surgery, he would more than likely have to be put down since he has a number of other health issues, and the surgery is extremely risky. I'm hoping they're not tumors because I would die right along with him, I love him too much to express in words. I'm getting the results of his biopsy in a few days.
I am so sorry.....

Sending our best wishes and energy.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Fingers and paws crossed that everything will work out OK.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Hope it works out OK for your guy.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Thank you all for the best wishes. I'll give an update next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs