Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM

410 posts, read 743,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
No, it most certainly isn't ignorant. Ignorance is lack of knowledge.

Crating a dog for nine hours a day on a regular basis is abuse. Period. A dog does NOT have to be crated, therefore the question you keep accusing people of not answering is moot. If you are crating your dog nine hours a day then I feel really sorry for that dog.

I'm done with this thread. My last statemen will be people shourl reevaluate their personal situation. If they cannot handle an pet, dog or cat, without worry over their furniture or material possessions then a pet may not be the best thing for you. Go to the dog park and pet other peoples' dogs. Don't crate a poor dog for nine hours a day! And stop trying to justify your abuse of that animal. Hell, even a dog at the end of a chain 24/7 for his entire life that doesn't get fed regularly still wags his tail is glad to see his human. That's in a dog's nature. They love their humans, even when abused.
It wouldn't let me rep you again, but this just about sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM

410 posts, read 743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Because in many cases, those are the only options for a person. Personally, I am financially well-off enough that I send my dog to day-care during the day, but people in my position who do not have the money cannot do that.

For many people, those are the options. Now can you answer the question?
I haven't answered the question because I know those are not the only options. This isn't the "would you rather" game. It seems like you're baiting people to either agree with you that it's ok to crate a dog all day, or to say that they would rather see a dog put to sleep than have a home.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Odie is crate trained as all my dogs have been, since he's my new rescue and has shown that when my back is turned he will chew on the furnature when I go to work I have his crate set up inside a double xpen so he has room to roam it takes up my whole dining room, and yes he's in there for about 9 1/2 hours while I'm at work, but it's more like a indoor kennel with a crate inside of it. I feed him in his crate and I've got another set up in my bedroom with the door off that he chooses to go to when we sleep.

He gets lots of time with me when I'm home, my life revolves around him. Walks, play time etc. So for those of us who have to work for a living it's not an option. He loves his xpen kennel and will go in there to chew his chewies.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,255 times
Our dog will also chew on things while we are at work. We crate him for maybe 7 hours max. We have left him roam the house when we are gone for maybe a couple hours, but any longer and we have to crate him. We don't let our two cats roam the house while we're away either - we keep them upstairs in a small room (used to be a small bedroom). Does this make me an animal abuser? Oh please.
Our dog has chewed on our nice kitchen table legs, so bad that the wood of the leg was hanging by a thread - we had to throw out the chair. Just recently I forgot to lock his crate and went to work, and he chewed a huge puzzle to bits...it was supposed to be a Christmas present. It was up high on a bookshelf. He got up on a table, got the puzzle, and had it as a snack. He has chewed up ornaments, my dish towels etc.

We did take him to obedience classes, he listens to commands SO good. It's just separation problems I think.

Anyone who thinks I am an abusive pet owner because I crate my dog while I am at work is being hateful and mean. If you took one look at my dog you'd think he is very spoiled. He's even more spoiled than I am.

Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. But labeling someone as abusive when all the harm they're doing is guiding their dog to chill in his big old crate (with fluffy blankets, pillows, toys and treats) for 7 hours? Thanks. I appreciate it.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM

603 posts, read 1,948,096 times
Most people work and cannot come home during the day to let their dogs out.I used to be able to when i lived not even five minutes from my job,but I only get a half hour lunch break,and it would take a 1/2 hour + with the traffic,to get home everyday.If I just had one or two dogs I would not crate them,but I have 3 pitbulls(one comes to work with me everyday),a border collie with a prey drive,and they must be crated when I am not home,or I will come home to a bloody mess.So i guess im abusive,I just play things safe.With the breeds I have,it would be a disaster if they were left unattended all day.My dogs are well trained though,and are still going to training once a week,they get exercised and I spend more time at home with them then I do with my friends.My life and home is literally revolved around my animals,and I wouldnt have it any other way.And the dogs that I do crate when I leave,go in the crate whenever they want to sleep,I just leave the door open,they enjoy it,its their space with their blankets and their toys.And no one is crated when I am home,only when they were puppies,but since they are way passed that stage they get free roam but usually wind up in bed with us.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Our dog will also chew on things while we are at work. We crate him for maybe 7 hours max. We have left him roam the house when we are gone for maybe a couple hours, but any longer and we have to crate him. We don't let our two cats roam the house while we're away either - we keep them upstairs in a small room (used to be a small bedroom). Does this make me an animal abuser? Oh please.
Our dog has chewed on our nice kitchen table legs, so bad that the wood of the leg was hanging by a thread - we had to throw out the chair. Just recently I forgot to lock his crate and went to work, and he chewed a huge puzzle to bits...it was supposed to be a Christmas present. It was up high on a bookshelf. He got up on a table, got the puzzle, and had it as a snack. He has chewed up ornaments, my dish towels etc.

We did take him to obedience classes, he listens to commands SO good. It's just separation problems I think.

Anyone who thinks I am an abusive pet owner because I crate my dog while I am at work is being hateful and mean. If you took one look at my dog you'd think he is very spoiled. He's even more spoiled than I am.

Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. But labeling someone as abusive when all the harm they're doing is guiding their dog to chill in his big old crate (with fluffy blankets, pillows, toys and treats) for 7 hours? Thanks. I appreciate it.

If your dog is chewing things while you are gone but is not acting anxious about your comings and goings it is proably not a seperation problem but more a boredom issue. Chewing is very enjoyable to dogs and when you are gone and there is nothing to do.well wait there is something to do and that is chew.When it is a seperation issues the chewing tends to be on door frames or window sills or carpets near the door .Dogs do not have hands to use so can not doodle or knit or do any of the enjoyable things we tend to do to pass time so that leaves chewing. To them it is not bad behavior it is enjoyable behavior.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,324,301 times
We crate trained our shih tzu and now 1 year later he refuses to sleep anywhere but in that crate. He sleeps and chills out in the crate throughout the night without a peep.

We thought we were doing him a favor by letting him pick a spot in the house to sleep and he refuses. He whines all night until we let him get back to his space (in the crate).

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I haven't answered the question because I know those are not the only options. This isn't the "would you rather" game. It seems like you're baiting people to either agree with you that it's ok to crate a dog all day, or to say that they would rather see a dog put to sleep than have a home.
If dogs without homes were 'scarce', this conversation would be very different. Start thinking realistically instead of so emotionally. This isn't a game. This is a real world scenario. And your ARE saying you would rather see a dog be put to sleep rather than be in a less than ideal home.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If dogs without homes were 'scarce', this conversation would be very different. Start thinking realistically instead of so emotionally. This isn't a game. This is a real world scenario. And your ARE saying you would rather see a dog be put to sleep rather than be in a less than ideal home.
I would.

In fact, it is in our will.

If something happens to both hubby and I, our labs will be put to sleep.

The hounds go back to the breeders.

As Rip gets older I might change my mind about him.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I think having a dog in a crate makes it easy for the fire dept to find them! A loose dog in the house alone can get scared & Hide or even try to bite the Fireman trying to rescure them! After all How many dogs do you know thats seen a fireman in full gear & mask? Think about it!
An actual horror. Where do these hairbrained ideas come from? A fire in the house with your dog in a crate is a GOOD thing? This sounds like some PR blurb that a Presidential hopeful might make. Doublespeak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs