Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,570 times

Advertisements

I wanted to see if any one else's dog does this?

I've noticed this since he was a small puppy and he is now almost a year old. I had forgotten about it, but now I'm sitting here watching him sleep and wondering if I should make a vet appt. He just breathes very rapidly and shallow, about 60-65 breaths a min, but otherwise no signs/symptoms of distress. When he was younger we assumed it was because he was a baby. All other aspects of him are completely normal, very active with no issues etc. But as I look at my other dogs, none of them do this. They all are breathing as one would expect while sleeping, slowly. Also, when he was neutered he was on a monitor under anesthesia and they never said anything about it, so I'm just wondering if this just might be his normal.

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,561 times
If it were me, my first step would be to simply call the vet to see if you need to bring the dog in.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Observe his eyes when he's sleeping like this. If his eyes are in REM, he may be just dreaming.

If he is dreaming, shallow fast breathing like this doesn't last very long- a few minutes at most. I've had lots of dogs who do this during dreams; sometimes it's the only indication that they are dreaming, but most often, a paw will twitch, a leg may jerk, and the dog will bark or whimper lightly under his breath. Eye REM is almost always present.

If it lasts any longer than about 10 minutes, and if you notice him breathing rapidly while awake with no reason for it, I would sure call a vet.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,685,905 times
Is he a GSD, by any chance? Both our GSDs have been/are occasional shallow, rapid breathers, and our vet says it is typical for the breed--not all the time, but now and again, and it's quite normal. I have to say that I've only noticed it while they're awake, not while they're asleep, except like what Mike says, briefly during REM sleep. So do get your dog checked by your vet.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM

30,371 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Observe his eyes when he's sleeping like this. If his eyes are in REM, he may be just dreaming.

If he is dreaming, shallow fast breathing like this doesn't last very long- a few minutes at most. I've had lots of dogs who do this during dreams; sometimes it's the only indication that they are dreaming, but most often, a paw will twitch, a leg may jerk, and the dog will bark or whimper lightly under his breath. Eye REM is almost always present.
That describes what Rudy does, whenever he's having a particularly exciting (or scary?) dream. I always wonder what he's dreaming about, but my best guess is squirrels.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
all 3 of mine are shallow and ripid when dreaming...sometimes for as long as 30 mins...ruby also "talks" in her sleep, jasper is a grumbler and Dozer is aparnetly a growler, jump and runner.

if its constant thoguh...id give the vet a call and ask if they think its worth checking him out...if hes only doing it in his sleep and not getting short of breath ect during normal activites i cant see it being much of a problem,
it could also be a slightly elongated soft palet

Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 304,345 times
My dog is breathing really heavy and fast he's never done that before. only if he is dreaming. he was absolutely fine earlier he was energetic but when I gave him mince he changed. he also has a smelly ear but I can't see anything inside his ear you can only smell the odor on his ear if you actually put your nose to his ear the outside of his ear is wet and so is his neck it smells like sour towels if you leave wet towels long enough they start to go sour. can anyone help me with this.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisababez View Post
My dog is breathing really heavy and fast he's never done that before. only if he is dreaming. he was absolutely fine earlier he was energetic but when I gave him mince he changed. he also has a smelly ear but I can't see anything inside his ear you can only smell the odor on his ear if you actually put your nose to his ear the outside of his ear is wet and so is his neck it smells like sour towels if you leave wet towels long enough they start to go sour. can anyone help me with this.
I didn't quite understand you. Is he awake or sleeping and not dreaming while he's breathing like that?

Fast heavy breathing while resting can be a sign of something serious. He could be in pain. He could have fluid building up in his chest. He could have bloat. It could be any number of things, most of them not very nice. He really should see a vet, the sooner the better.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 261,165 times
My 10 week old puppies has lot, of energy during the day but last two night went going to sleep he will breath very hard and wake his self up like every Maybe Other Minute With his nose not able to catch his breath

Old 10-27-2014, 11:41 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,994,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisababez View Post

Can't help with the heavy breathing, but for the ears, odor is a sign of an ear infection.
Go to your local pharmacy and pick up a bag of cotton balls, and a bottle of witch hazel.
Pour a small amount on the cotton ball and cleanse the ears, getting as far in as you can.
Try not to get the cotton ball too wet, so it doesn't seep way into the ear canal.
That will cause the dog discomfort, and he /she, will keep shaking it's head.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs