Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 AM

37 posts, read 278,001 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to scare you at all but a dog with a resting respiratory rate consistently over 30 reps per minute may have either dynamic airway disease or a possible heart condition. I don't mean sudden but brief heavy, rapid breathing that indicates dreaming. I mean lasting at least 5- 10 minutes. It's really important to talk to a vet. My dog had both these conditions and acted like an energetic puppy. People didn't believe us he was actually sick. Dogs are so good at masking their symptoms. Good luck! I hope your pup is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisababez View Post
My dog is breathing really heavy and fast he's never done that before. only if he is dreaming. he was absolutely fine earlier he was energetic but when I gave him mince he changed. he also has a smelly ear but I can't see anything inside his ear you can only smell the odor on his ear if you actually put your nose to his ear the outside of his ear is wet and so is his neck it smells like sour towels if you leave wet towels long enough they start to go sour. can anyone help me with this.
He might feel a little sick on the belly from the mince. The sour smell in his ears could indicate a yeast infection. I would see a vet. Dogs ears are really delicate and I would be extremely cautious trying any home remedies. You could try cleaning it but sometimes yeast infections are caused by a foreign object (like a grass seed) lodged deep in the ear cavity and it's a job for an expert

Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,779,205 times
The OP is from 3 years ago, so we will assume the breathing thing has been figured out in that time.

The sour ear is from a year ago. So let's hope that issue has been resolved as well!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The OP is from 3 years ago, so we will assume the breathing thing has been figured out in that time.

The sour ear is from a year ago. So let's hope that issue has been resolved as well!
Oh well. Hopefully some of the newer replies can help someone else who comes across them.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,851 times
When my dog sleeps she breaths really fast but I don't think she's dreaming she pauses her heavy breathing if I pet her on the stomach or head,do you know what's wrong with her.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,425,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Observe his eyes when he's sleeping like this. If his eyes are in REM, he may be just dreaming.

If he is dreaming, shallow fast breathing like this doesn't last very long- a few minutes at most. I've had lots of dogs who do this during dreams; sometimes it's the only indication that they are dreaming, but most often, a paw will twitch, a leg may jerk, and the dog will bark or whimper lightly under his breath. Eye REM is almost always present.

If it lasts any longer than about 10 minutes, and if you notice him breathing rapidly while awake with no reason for it, I would sure call a vet.
Correct. A dog in REM sleep will go through periods with rapid shallow breathing. May also mimic running motions. Ah, dog dreams!

Old 03-21-2015, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,557 times
My pitbull puppy is 4 months old and we just got her. She is active, eats well and drinks plenty of water. however when she goes to sleep her breathing increases rapidly to like 72 breaths per minute. When we wake her up and she stands her breathing goes back to normal. She isn't coughing or weezing when asleep and isn't using her stomach muscles to breathe. Still it had me so worried to the point I can't sleep. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,310,967 times
The pup is dreaming.

I often wonder what mine is dreaming about especially when he yelps in his sleep.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,355 times
My dog is 11 years old... he breathes at 72 breaths per minute... awake but not running.. i counted her respiration while sleeping...no REM...not dreaming...i hope this thread is still active... thanks to those who'll answer...
Alexa J.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,745 times
i have 3 GSD one is 10 months and the daddy is 2 years and the mommy is 3 years i noticed tonite the my daddy is breathing very heavy when he is sleeping a couple months back he was poisoned and almost died but he got him to the vet just in time does that have anything to do with his breathing maybe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs