Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM

207 posts, read 535,903 times

Advertisements

I am 25 and i live with my parents and plan on moving into my own house. and my brother and his wife has 3 children. My sister in-law was mean to me half of my life but when I met her family i understood why she was like that.
When my brother and his wife are at work my mom babysits the 2 youngest kids and sometimes when I am off i babysit them to help my mom out. And my niece who is 6 years old she came to the house today ( we live right next door) she came crying her eyes out because she has to get rid of her dog because it kept puking. (my sister in-law never liked the dog) my mother is a breeder and she gave one of the puppies to my niece and now 5 years now they want to get rid of the dog. and my mother was so mad and thought it was so mean of the parents to tell their child they don't like the dog even though they know their child loves the dog to death. And so after she finished crying my niece goes " by the way my mom wants you to babysit the babies while I go to my recital"
I am just so mad that my 6 year old niece has to go through that and today my mom is still angry and thinks it's so childesh for them to do that and that my niece will end up like her mother.
And every time we babysit the kids my brother says thank you but my sister in-law never says thank you and she just ask "did the kids behave?"
I don't know how to comfort my mom. I know my sister in-law doesn't care because she can't stand her own mother because she loves drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
could you or your mom take the dog back?? especially since your mom was the one who bred the dog in the first place.... that is something any good breeder will do... take back a puppy or dog at any time in its lifetime if for some reason it's home does not work out.....

Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
LTTP, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
late beat me to it...
a good RESPONSIBLE breeder woudl NEVER allow someone to just rehome one of their "products"...
good breeders have contracts that state the puppy must be returned sould the origional owners not be able to keep it for ANY reason...

also if the dog keeps throwing up it NEEDS to see a vet, regular vomiting is not normal.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
And the niece could still visit the dog!

I have a similar situation now.

My son and his wife have a dog (their first) who is now 12 years old, diabetic, has cataracts, and is a bit crotchety in her old age --- though Godiva is still a really, really sweet pup. She also has some joint problems, aggravated by the necessity to climb many steps at their house to go outside to do her business. They also have three other dogs.

DS & DIL also have an 17 month old daughter. The combination of old lady dog and energetic toddler was felt perhaps to be not a good combination.

The solution was for Godiva to come live with me and DH. She no longer limps because it's only a couple of steps to go outside. Now she sees her original "pack" members when they come to visit, or I take her with me when I go to visit them.

OP's Mom could take the niece's dog to visit while she baby sits.

Of course, I am assuming that the "puking" is just an excuse to get rid of a dog the OP's SIL just does not want. If the dog is vomiting, a visit to the vet to find and treat the cause is in order.

Edited to add: I just noticed that OP and her niece live next door to each other. Having the pooch move next door seems a fine solution!

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-08-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
i agree...

in general its up to the parents of the child to decide whats right in their home...they dont sound like my kind of people, but whether they keep the dog or not is, in the end their choice alone to make, and unfortunatly upsrtting thier kid is obviously not enough of a reaosn to get to the route of the problem of the vomiting and trying to figure out how to make things work...
(obviously the novelty has worn off and the dogs simply just not what they realy wante din their lives)

as the breeder of the dog however your mother needs to step forward, take the dog back, get it properly vet checked to get to the route of the vommiting problem then either keep the dog or properly rehome the dog after all medical has been cleared.
given your planning to move to your own home, perhaps You could offer to take the dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs