Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM

98 posts, read 120,583 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting topic.

My opinion: I believe all shelters should be required to follow the same rules, as anyone else caring for animals. I would be suspect of any group that wants to exempt themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
I think it would stop some from helping the poor dogs.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,447,356 times
I don't think a reputable shelter would have any problem. There are a few horror stories out there of so-called shelters out there that are really more like hoarding situations. Also a woman near me in Illinois who ran a shelter recently had a lot of very sick and emaciated animals seized from her. The problem with the USDA is, they don't have nearly the resources to inspect the breeders and facilities their in charge of now. For a breeder to say they're approved by them is basically meaningless.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
I think it should fall on the state to regulate since each have different regulations. But a minimum standard is necessary and only helps the animals. If a shelter/rescue is afraid of meeting basic safety and heath standards, there's probably a reason and it's propbably not to the benefit of the animals.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM

98 posts, read 120,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think it should fall on the state to regulate since each have different regulations. But a minimum standard is necessary and only helps the animals. If a shelter/rescue is afraid of meeting basic safety and heath standards, there's probably a reason and it's propbably not to the benefit of the animals.
Hmm, yes...maybe the state would be better.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,233,065 times
The problem is finding the puppymill. Most are on back roads in the woods at least around here. Even the ones that are visited by the USDA only regulate what they see as far as clean and water/food. They don't see how the dogs are treated once they leave, over bred, inter bred and taken away from the mother too soon.

If the USDA vists once a year I would be really surprised since they are always saying how they are understaffed.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,952,394 times
Most shelters are at a capacity level where they already have to get inspections from the USDA. I have mixed feelings overall because in my previous state the state office would issue permits as long as you could pay and to out of state kennels that they could never inspect. After a lot of investigation, I found that one of their top employees was a BYB who did not have a license. She stated that she bred less than the minimum amount required by permit and was allowed to bypass getting a permit. My faith in the entire system is a bit jaded. Unless the entire system if overhauled, and there are enough inspectors, I guess to me it doesn't really matter. I have a feeling that story in SC? or was it NC? Where the animal control officers shot dogs to death and threw them in the landfill instead of using humane euthanasia like usually is the protocol has just dampened my spirit.

I think that it would be more effective to have a rating system similar to restaurants. You walk in and the score has to be posted and news agencies report the results. Show the statistics of how many animals are euthanized, how they are, and what training the employees have. The animal control we got our mutt from years ago had Parvo outbreaks, rats and mice eating away at the telephone wires, and getting into the food. It took the city it is based in nearly five years to shut down the facility to do a remodel and get rid of the pest problems.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,448,678 times
I think there definitely needs to be over sight. We have none here. The 'county' admins are supposed to be watching over them, but it's so corrupt here that they refuse to even look at the evidence that's been provided for them showing abuse and neglect. The question is who's going to over see them? And who will over see that person(s) to make sure they're doing their job? After living here for a while, I've gotten to the point that I don't trust anyone anymore. Guess I'm very jaded.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
but on the flip side, have a rescue that is inspected and they find heath and safety violations, and i bet you will have some emotional uproar about the poor resuce being hounded and violated by the evil governement inspectors.

It won't be about the poor suffering animals it will be all about the poor harrassed rescue. There will be fund drives and letter writing campaighs to overturn these inspection. BUT, a year later those suffering animals will be found in misserable state or dead and those same people who were holding candlelight vigils to overturn the laws will now be screaming for the heads of governement because they should have done something.

I seriously dought have the people care about the animals, they care about the fight!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,419,492 times
Interesting topic. Unfortunately, in a sense it really makes no difference who they inspect. One of the largest problems with the USDA inspections is that although they are responsible for inspections of commercial kennel facilities, they have no enforcement arm. No matter how bad a situation is (yes- even with puppy mills) all they can do is write a report and submit it to local law enforcement for action. They have no authority for any actual enforcement no matter how bad their findings are. Thats why the same puppy mills are written up over and over again! Rather than stretching their limited scope and resources even farther, I'd prefer legislation that expands funding to include enforcement capabilities based on their findings and then add to their inspection responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs