Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,536,245 times

Advertisements

Our experience with Wisdom Panel Insights has been (+) so far. My partner and I don't buy gifts for one another and we give generously to our local rescues...so for fun, we thought we would buy 3 dog DNA tests. Our local Sam's Club is selling the test for $49.99 much cheaper than anywhere I have seen. Plus, this company has 180+ breeds in their data base and you are more than welcome to speak with their vet geneticists if you have any questions about your results. Plus, this DNA test does test for several of the pit breeds. For fun, I have enjoyed going to the gallery and seeing pix/results of other dogs. The pictures with the banner across it have the results updated to the picture. http://www.wisdompanel.com/photos/

Our newest family member Avi (ah-vee) was found by us in a very rural area so we had no idea her breeds. Our vet thought a boxer mix, many people we encountered in public thought pix mix (but we think everyone always sees pit in almost all dogs anymore) and we even wondered if she was part pointer.

I've included some pictures of Avi. She is now 13 months old. She weighs 45 lbs. Give it your best guess for what are her breeds and I will post the results in the next post under this thread...so scroll down carefully.

HINT
: She came back 1/2 full breed (one of her parents all the way back to her great grandparents on one side were all full breeds). There was only one other breed detected and it was with her other parent but only 1/8th.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Dog DNA Results-avi.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-avi4.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-avi5.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-avi6.jpeg   Our Dog DNA Results-avi2.jpeg  

Last edited by Amazonchix; 01-17-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM

Default Drum Roll....The Results...

Per the Wisdom Panel Insights Website Dog DNA Test, Dog Breed Test - Wisdom Panel Canine DNA Testing:

The DNA test tested back to all of Avi's 8 great grandparents.

Avi's Significant Breed is Boxer- At least 50% of your dog’s DNA matches this breed, so you are likely to see the most physical and behavioral traits from this breed. One of Avi's parent's was a full breed boxer all the way back to 4 great grandparents. Since reading up more on this breed since the results, she is a perfect match to all the boxer breed behaviors. Gesh, this helped explain so much about her behaviors that we are seeing now.

Avi's Minor Breed is Chow- At least 12.5% of your dog’s DNA matches this breed, but at this level, it is unlikely that this breed’s physical traits are visible unless some of the genes are dominant.
One of Avi's 8 great grandparents was a full Chow while the mate to that dog was a mixed breed...and from there it quickly watered down the Chow because all the subsequent mates were mixed breeds on that side of her family. We obviously don't see this breed in our Avi physically or behaviorally, which is accounted by for their explanation by Wisdom Panel Insights.

We LOVE mixed breeds more than anything in the world because of their respected unique looks. We joked this was the closest to a full breed we would ever own (lol)!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
i definatly see the boxer in the ears, but i wouldnt be suprised if theres english pointer in there too...

the dna tests are fun, but reaserch has shown they cannot be used as a do all end all...there good for getting a "general" idea but can also be WAY off...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Our experience with Wisdom Panel Insights has been (+) so far. My partner and I don't buy gifts for one another and we give generously to our local rescues...so for fun, we thought we would buy 3 dog DNA tests. Our local Sam's Club is selling the test for $49.99 much cheaper than anywhere I have seen. Plus, this company has 180+ breeds in their data base and you are more than welcome to speak with their vet geneticists if you have any questions about your results. Plus, this DNA test does test for several of the pit breeds. For fun, I have enjoyed going to the gallery and seeing pix/results of other dogs. The pictures with the banner across it have the results updated to the picture. Wisdom Panel Photo Gallery

Our newest family member Avi (ah-vee) was found by us in a very rural area so we had no idea her breeds. Our vet thought a boxer mix, many people we encountered in public thought pix mix (but we think everyone always sees pit in almost all dogs anymore) and we even wondered if she was part pointer.

I've included some pictures of Avi. She is now 13 months old. She weighs 45 lbs. Give it your best guess for what are her breeds and I will post the results in the next post under this thread...so scroll down carefully.

HINT: She came back 1/2 full breed (one of her parents all the way back to her great grandparents on one side were all full breeds). There was only one other breed detected and it was with her other parent but only 1/8th.
Wow......what a bunch of good looking dogs......you are blessed.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
The test I looked into didn't offer "cattle dog" (or heeler or whatever) and I wanted to see if my unidentifiable Artie was in fact a "cattle dog mix" as his profile on petfinder insisted.
Just don't think there's a lot of cattle in West Warwick, Rhode Island.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times
How fun...nice crew you have there ~

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM

The other two kiddos results are in and as soon as I have more time I will add them to this thread...so check back and see what you think.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
I was thinking Avi might be American Bulldog and/or Boxer... what a cutie!

But like foxy said, the tests aren't always good - I tried one of the older Heritage DNA tests for Rudy, and they only said he was "less than 10% Poodle." Uhhhhh, what?!!? I've thought about trying one of the newer tests, since they do have more breeds now (only 80-something at the time I did it).

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
The other two kiddos results are in and as soon as I have more time I will add them to this thread...so check back and see what you think.

waiting with baited breath......

one of these days, i just may do bailey and dave's ....

Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,912,366 times
Cool, can't wait to get my test delivered.
Wow, I'm surprised people aren't jumping all over you for frittering away $50 that you could have given to a charity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs