Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM

6,787 posts, read 9,337,164 times

Advertisements

I just moved to a new house with my two dogs -- a female husky and a male husky/samoyed mix. The male seems to be adjusting well, but the female is whines and howls and won't let either of us out of her sight, even though the new house is full of familiar things. She seems to think that she doesn't belong at the new house and tries to leave if either my partner or I are leaving the house. What can I do to help alleviate her stress?

Basically, here's how we handled the move:
  • We moved most of our furniture to the new place but stayed/slept at the old house until we were ready to move the dogs.
  • When it was time to move the dogs' stuff, I took them for a walk in the old neighborhood while the partner took their stuff to the new place and set the crates up and spread a few toys around the house.
  • I brought the dogs to the new neighborhood.
  • We walked the dogs around the block and then led them through the house, on leash, and showed them each room, and then allowed them to investigate on their own.
Still, while the male seems to be adjusting (though he does seem at least somewhat nervous), the female seems to not be handling this well. We're trying to keep their routine as normal as possible, but I'm concerned about leaving them alone later this week when we go back to work. Also, the dogs wouldn't eat this morning.

Is there anything else I can do to help them adjust?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Gee, it sounds like you've done everything just right.

How long have you been in the new house? I'm guessing that they still need to acclimate themselves (the girl especially, obviously) and that's why they didn't eat breakfast this morning.

Dogs are such creatures of habit and need time to adjust. It sounds like you just moved to this house in the last week or so -- is that right? If so, give it some more time. They'll get there.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
lots of praise, lots fo treats, puzzle toys (like a kong) and i would start leaving them alone now for short periods. get your stuff leave the room then come back imediatly, repeat repeat repeat slowly increasing the time.

she will adapt eventually, just be patient.
since there crate trained i would also make alot of use of that crate, give her a big ole meaty bone in her crate or a kong stufed with peanut butter ect so she knows its her safe FUN spot.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM

We just moved them this weekend, so they haven't been there very long -- not even two full days. I just want to help ease them along as best as I can and I want them to be comfortable. The male was playing with his ball today, so that's a good sign! Thanks for the tips! They do have kongs, but maybe I'll get them both a new puzzle toy or meaty bone just as an extra treat that can occupy them for a little while and we'll work up to the point over the next few days where we leave them alone for short periods of time.

We're extremely happy with the new house and want to make sure they're happy, too.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
Sounds to me like everything you did was perfect. It just takes some time both dogs will learn from one another. Once one pup begins to settle down and get used to the new surroundings the other will follow suit. I have also been dealing with fur babies in a new place only in my case it is from a house/yard to an apt. It has not taken them long to adjust to a different place. Just give them time it will happen try to keep all schedules, feeding, walking etc as near normal and the same as possible and before you know it, they will act like they have been in the new house forever. Good Luck

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,168 times
I think you definitely thought this through well. I would recommend getting the Through a Dog's Ear CD (can be downloaded through iTunes) as it will calm the dogs down and stop the whining.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
We're extremely happy with the new house and want to make sure they're happy, too.
Dogs are interesting "people" in that they seem to totally take on the moods of their people. If you two are happy, they will be happy. (When I'm "in a mood," Artie knows it and gives me my space and goes off to sulk too. Other than that, he's a happy guy.)

That said, because dogs can sense their peoples' mood, it's important that you don't act anxious. They'll know it in an instant -- and they will be stressed. So, yeah, I understand that you're anxious about them and their adjustment, but try to act normally... and so will they. And a "happy face" and a "happy voice" isn't enough -- you've got to FEEL happy for them to buy into it. (Seriously, I've tried to act it up for Artie when I'm upset -- he doesn't buy it for a second. He knows. They KNOW.)

Old 11-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Dogs are interesting "people" in that they seem to totally take on the moods of their people. If you two are happy, they will be happy. (When I'm "in a mood," Artie knows it and gives me my space and goes off to sulk too. Other than that, he's a happy guy.)

That said, because dogs can sense their peoples' mood, it's important that you don't act anxious. They'll know it in an instant -- and they will be stressed. So, yeah, I understand that you're anxious about them and their adjustment, but try to act normally... and so will they. And a "happy face" and a "happy voice" isn't enough -- you've got to FEEL happy for them to buy into it. (Seriously, I've tried to act it up for Artie when I'm upset -- he doesn't buy it for a second. He knows. They KNOW.)
You make a good point. While we love the new house, we've been stressing too, especially about the dogs and how they're going to adjust. We haven't had barking and howling issues with them in the past, but my partner especially is worried about making a bad impression with the neighbors, so he's been on edge the minute they start to whine. They can probably sense this.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
You make a good point. While we love the new house, we've been stressing too, especially about the dogs and how they're going to adjust. We haven't had barking and howling issues with them in the past, but my partner especially is worried about making a bad impression with the neighbors, so he's been on edge the minute they start to whine. They can probably sense this.
If your dogs are anything like my dog -- and most dogs -- they can definitely sense his tension. Hopefully he can relax a bit.

There are worse things than barking and howling dogs... and, meanwhile, it hasn't even gotten to that point. There's no sense in being anxious about something that hasn't even happened... and may never happen.

Please, please, please... enjoy your new home... and your dogs will follow suit.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
Dawn is right if you are in a happy place they will sense this. My fur butts don't buy the phoney bit either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs